Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition toggle install

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 03:48 PM
Mlunder
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition toggle install

Hey everyone. I've done some searching through the forums on here and I haven't gotten a solid answer to my issue.

I'm looking to take off my ignition and install a toggle switch, that I would hide. I ride a 2015 sportster 48. Been having alot of issues with my ignition and have had to replace it and the key is currently stuck in it again. The key goes in 3 positions. Off, accessory, and start.

How would I go about doing this? The ignition has 2 wires running to it, but I hooked a single throw toggle to the wires and got nothing. Any advice helps! Thank you.

Rubber side down

Old 03-29-2017, 07:27 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,256 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlunder
Hey everyone. I've done some searching through the forums on here and I haven't gotten a solid answer to my issue.

I'm looking to take off my ignition and install a toggle switch, that I would hide. I ride a 2015 sportster 48. Been having alot of issues with my ignition and have had to replace it and the key is currently stuck in it again. The key goes in 3 positions. Off, accessory, and start.

How would I go about doing this? The ignition has 2 wires running to it, but I hooked a single throw toggle to the wires and got nothing. Any advice helps! Thank you.

Rubber side down

Might want to use the advanced search feature to find other threads,
but here's a thread that will probably intrest you starting on page 9.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-toggle-9.html

There are other threads using a FatBob ign switch, but I dont think thats
what you're wanting...

hth,

T.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:54 AM
Mlunder
3rd Gear

That looks like it should work perfect! Hopefully it fits a 15 XL. Ordered the part last night so I'll find out. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Rubber side down

Old 09-01-2018, 02:39 AM
ZoeJaneXY
Stage I
Default Won’t work cause it’s canbus

Originally Posted by Mlunder

Rubber side down
its a canbus switch, canbus doesn’t work in terms of open/closed they operate using varying degrees of resistance to let the bcm know what you want. It uses reference voltage. And VERY small amps to communicate and then sends voltage out on a completely separate circuit to the parts controlled by each switch. Headlamp circuit and the hi/lo button are completely separated except in the bcm. Ignition switch tells the bcm to turn on, so it turns on. It’s a whole different animal than the j1850 systems we’re all used to from the gen3 and lower twin cams.