Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF courses

Old 06-15-2007, 04:45 AM
DannyNucclz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSF courses

Hey guys and gals, I am not only a new HD rider but a new rider period. I am signed up for an MSF course in July, but I am a little nervous about making the transition from the 125cc bikes they use to the bored out '93 Hugger I currently have in my driveway. It means a lot to for me to ride HD considering it is not only an American tradition, but a family one for me as well (Most every male in my family rides). However another factor leading to some trepidation is that my Uncle (who raised me) was killed on his HD five years ago. I am 21 and live in Yonkers, NY, bikes have always been a passion and I finally got the nerve to join all y'all riders so any advice is more than appreciated.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:27 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: MSF courses

Welcome to the fold! I'm really sorry to hear about your uncle...

You probably already know this, but when you ride you are difficult for car drivers to see. They are just used to seeing cars, SUV's, vans, and trucks on the road, and weon bikes are all but invisible to them. I have happened on too many motorcycle accidents where the car driver has said, "I just didn't see him. He came out of nowhere".

So, when you ride you must ride defensively with heightened awareness of what is going on around you. Keepgreater distances fromvehicles in front and behind you. Don't alter your bike in any way that diminishes your ability to be seen. Consider circumstances as you are riding and mentally plan alternate routes of escape or actions you might need to take for given situations.

These things will ultimately become second nature, and taking the MSF courseswill beyour best step towards safety on the road. Don't be nervous, just be alert.

Good luck and welcome again to one of the greatest forms of transportation that can be enjoyed!

Old 06-15-2007, 07:18 AM
MidWest XL
Tourer

I took the MSF course a couple of years ago before riding my Sporty. It will probably be the one best thing you could do as a rider. It is weighted heavy on defensive riding techniques, how to "read" what other drivers will do and how to stay "visible" to others while riding and how to avoid emergencies.

It was a big change from the course bikes to hopping on my 1200C for the first time. The size and weight difference became quickly apparant. But my first rides were through my neighborhood, making many right hand and left hand turns. Stopping and starting off again. I went to a grammer school parking lot and practiced making slow speed turns and emergency stops. It wasn't until the next day that I began to venture out of the neighborhood.

So take your time. Soak up everything you can in the MSF course and then Ride Safe.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:22 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you ride like a jerk the motorists will likely treat you like a jerk.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:17 AM
bearc.paw
Tourer

Welcome Dan, MSF course great Info, The Info you receive during course will come back when you ride, When you may make a mistake while riding you will know how to correct it from such information. I haven't taken the course but my wife has, I did help her study so I know some about it. I will say best money you will ever spend taking it, Your Life is worth it.......Ride Safe and Often....BearC.Paw....

Old 06-15-2007, 09:31 AM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The MSF course is highly recommended...There is a bit of adjustment going from a 250cc Suzuki to a 1200 HD and I was a bit nervous about taking out the bigger bike at first. You'll gain confidence with each mile ridden...Take the advice posted here - practice the low speed maneuvers in a safe area (school parking lot, etc.)...When you're more comfortable, venture out on the street. Always remember that the cagers out there often don't see you. I was reminded yesterday morning when I was nearly cut off...Stay alert and ride defensively...

Old 06-15-2007, 10:33 AM
STEG
Road Captain

My main thing about taking the MSF was that I didn't want to learn how to operate my bike on the new thing i just bought, so i took the course to learn on somebody elses bike, the coach in the MSF course quite simply said moving from the bikes you are using now to the bikes you own will be similar to learning to drive in a Honda Civic and moving up to a Mustang GT. The first day of the course you'll learn to move slowly with the friction zone so thats basically what I did to get used to my Stage 1 883 though the bored out 93ci will probably be a smidge more powerful and he was right my bike did have more powerful and it was way more comfortable, the clutch wasn't beat to crap, and the front brake didn't grab nearly as much as the stupid trainer bikes. So just take it slow like they did in the course and get used to it. Good Luck

Old 06-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to our two wheeled world Danny. Sorry to hear about your uncle, I'll rais a beer for him tonight. Takeing the MSF course is the best thing you can do before riding. Pay attention and ask questions. As for the transition, it's a breeze, the first thing you'll notice is the weight of the bike. It would be a good idea to find an open parking lot to practice on your Sportster, get used to it before heading out to "play" with the cagers. Everything they teach you, you should practice, practice, practice.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Crazie
Cruiser

When I got my first heavy bike (Hate to admit it but it was a Kawasaki Voyager - I have since seen the light ) I found the MSF to be a real confidence builder. I like it so much, I have taken it 3 times in the past four years (since HD pays $50.00 of the fee if you are a HOG member) and never fail to bring home at least one more tidbit of information or a honed skill with me. As a new rider you will probably be better off since you have not had a chance to develop bad habits like many of us old-timers have.

In summary, someone in another thread said it best: "Ride like you are invisible."

Happy cruising.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:29 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: DannyNucclz

Hey guys and gals, I am not only a new HD rider but a new rider period. I am signed up for an MSF course in July, but I am a little nervous about making the transition from the 125cc bikes they use to the bored out '93 Hugger I currently have in my driveway. It means a lot to for me to ride HD considering it is not only an American tradition, but a family one for me as well (Most every male in my family rides). However another factor leading to some trepidation is that my Uncle (who raised me) was killed on his HD five years ago. I am 21 and live in Yonkers, NY, bikes have always been a passion and I finally got the nerve to join all y'all riders so any advice is more than appreciated.
Danny, I am also a new rider. I had never ridden before except as a passenger. I took the MSF course in early June and then spent a few days relearning my bike (I had practiced on minein the neighborhood from 4/24 when I got it till 6/2 when I first got on the 250cc at the MSF course).

I am happy to say that I've had NO problems transitioning to my bike. I finished the course on Sunday, 6/3 and that evening took my bike out for a spin. I was, and still am, very cautious, but I've now made a couple of 50 mile trips (I work all day and have to drive the car to work for now) and have found that what they taught me very easily carried over to my bike.

Take it at your own pace, do what you feel comfortable with, and it will come. I was amazed that I didn't have any problems going from those little bikes to my 883C.

Best of luck to you and Ride Safe!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MSF courses