Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left Side Cover Fell Off

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Gnight
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Left Side Cover Fell Off

Did the same thing as russellabjr, zip ties are awesome. Sad that I have to zip tie stuff on a brand new bike cause Harley takes the easy way out and uses plastic clips..wtf?

Old 05-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Morloka
Cruiser

I lost mine, but was 2 up at the time so her leg held it in place, the clip broke when I was trying to put it back on, replaced the clip and havent had the problem again

Old 05-12-2008, 03:02 PM
07HDnightster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CaptEvo

This is what was suggested to me on my '06. Took off my seat, at the top of the battery cover there are little holes right where the cover inserts into the plastic clips. I drilled a hole down that hole and through the plastic clip with the battery cover in its proper seated position. Then you just drop a zip tie down through the hole.....no more cover popping open. Just drop the zip tie down, don't zip it, that way you can just pull it out if you need to get to the battery without taking the seat off. The left side hole is really all you need, the right side doesnt have alot of clearance so I had to shorten it quite a bit to get it to drop....just an extra precaution.

Edit: And as usual......as soon as I post somebody beat me to it.

Same here....Works like a champ

Old 05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm gonna sticky this one so people don't have to go digging to find the fix.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:40 PM
jsand5
Intermediate

trusty old zip ties. My 2007 cover came off one week after I bought it. I didn't lose it though. My buddy just bought 08 1200 and it has the same junk clips and when I looked closer it was being held by one clip only. I let him know, I may have saved him a cover LOL. Them clips are junk!

Old 05-13-2008, 02:18 PM
plevine1
Advanced

This is a huge problem. When I lost mine on my 06 it was covered under the warranty. After almost losing it again, I drilled a small hole towards the top of the cover then used a wire tie to secure it to the frame. Yes I do need to cut the tie every time I take the cover off but ties are dirt cheap and a non-warranty cover is not.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Somber Goat
Tourer

this is happening way too often!

Months ago my battery cover came off as well, upon returning to the scene of the crime I found it road rashed beyond belief, who knows how far it skidded down the slap. Still surprised I found it later even though it was useless.

I replaced it with the HD chrome one and on my way to work last week i had glanced down to find it hanging down like it was an open door to my batter/fuse area. One thing after further investigation I noticed was the on the chrome cover where the front of the cover is supposed to come close to the frame there is a a gap that I could fit my finger through, which i'm guessing is how so much air gets behind these things to push them off, along with the **** clips they use. Anybody else ever notice that gap?

I did manage to pull off the highway before it totally got loose. Took a 10 minute pitstop under an over pass and was back on the road.

Moral to this story: Alway bring zip ties while riding, you'll never know when you'll need them.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:52 PM
rookie003
Intermediate

Drilled the holes and used the zip ties last nite.Only took a few minutes andit was aneasy task for a Rookie like me.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:26 AM
trama
Cruiser

this happening to the 07 sporty too? or did they fix it with the 06 models?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Chief40al
Road Captain

It came loose on my daughters 07 883 L
fixed with wire tie, as discribed on this post.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Left Side Cover Fell Off