Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left Side Cover Fell Off

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:57 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mongoman22602
I have an 05 883L that was having same problem (side cover, battery side, wouldn't stay put. Went to my Harley Shop and they knew all abhout it, told me there is a new style clip(s) for the 05 Sporsters that supposedly solves the problem. It's on order and cost about $40
Damn, think about that. They want 40 bucks to fix a problem they admit is due to their putting cheap clips on to begin with!!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Opus X
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having trouble with mine falling open while riding. It hasn't come off, though. I took a close look at it last night and noticed that I only have 1 clip on the top. Isn't there supposed to be 2 clips? My bike is an 07 883R.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:27 AM
desert drifter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ravenron
Hey guys...new to this board and impressed by the amount of knowledge here.&nbsp\\; Recently purchased an 05 Sportster XL883 Custom&nbsp\\;for my son and have had trouble keeping the left side cover on.&nbsp\\; I thought I had finally gotten it attached firmly but hit an unexpected bump amidst some road construction on Thursday...Damn...it was pretty violent (thought I might have bent the rims).&nbsp\\; In any case, after regaining control of the bike, I noticed the side cover bouncing off into traffic...[:@]

Long story slightly longer...side cover trashed, new one ordered, $107 poorer.&nbsp\\; Is there any better way to attach this cover to prevent similar issues in the future?&nbsp\\; I've ordered new clips hoping that will help.&nbsp\\; You'd think the old one's would still be good after only 4500 miles.&nbsp\\; Has anyone else had this happen?&nbsp\\;

Thanks in advance and ride safe...[8D]

RR
When I got my bike it also happened to me I took the old clip off nearest the tank and used a very small cable tie to keep it on never came off since, only when i wanted it to come off....!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:03 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Opus X
I'm having trouble with mine falling open while riding. It hasn't come off, though. I took a close look at it last night and noticed that I only have 1 clip on the top. Isn't there supposed to be 2 clips? My bike is an 07 883R.
There are supposed to be 2 clips. one forward and one aft on the top. however even the new clips don't have a huge reliability improvement. The sure and easy way is simply to drill a hole through the fwd clip[ where the slot in the cover rests and drop a zip tie or something similar through it. Then you never have to worry about it.

MH

Old 08-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Skellig
Novice
Arrow

Originally Posted by SportyPig
This is a known defect. Especially with the 04 - 06 years. I had the stupid clips replaced 4 different times, then I completely lost the battery cover. And yes, there have been PLENTY of discussions here about this problem.

The best way to deal with this isthe method that either Old Fender Guy, or raylow, hold the patten to. Drill a hole through the clip, and then stick a small zip tie through the hole. That will hold the cover in place when the clips fail, and if you need to remove the cover you just have to pull the zip tie out. So, there is no need to carry extra zip ties, knives etc on the bike, just to deal with this problem.

Next time something like that happens, check on e-bay. When mine wasfinallycompletely lost, I found one on ebay, from a guy that had bought either chrome or painted covers. I think it cost me about $30. Of course that was for a set...so if anybody happens to need a stock oil tank cover, just let me know. You can have it for the cost of shipping.
Got my '14 XL883N barely two weeks ago. Last weekend, taking the off-ramp from the freeway to go home I heard a clanging, looked down and saw the left cover dangling. Since this a new bike I let out a pretty loud expletive inside my helmet. After reading this entire thread I count myself lucky I didn't lose the cover altogether. The dudes and dudettes on this forum, or rather community, are the Best. A zip-tie will be going through the bottom hook-tab before I throw a leg over again. And drilling a hole in the forward tab to place another unzipped tie will be in the works.
One would think the MoCo would value the real-world and applied knowledge of their Customer-base by incorporating improved design efficiency into their product by a simple reading of this (free) forum.
Thanks all - ride safe

Old 08-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

My battery cover fell off without my knowledge one day and I discovered it when I got home. My bike was like 3 weeks old at the time, that was 9 years ago. Picked up a new cover on eBay and zip tied it on. Been there ever since.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:15 PM
Skellig
Novice

Finally solved my problem of the cover popping open every time I ride -

1. Drill 3/16" hole in top of cover;

2. Zip-tie bottom hinge to frame;

3. Top hole in cover aligns good with existing hole in frame;

4. Zip-tie both, and snug the sumbitch;

Done.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:46 AM
1948rubberband
Novice

HD changed the clips, the new design works much better (I have a 2006 XL1200C)

Old 11-16-2014, 01:57 PM
RickRock
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw this was happening to others, so took the steps to order new-fangled clips from dealer ( $20+/-). Installed and worked for a while, until one day, when I got home saw the thing open and only hanging on by the bottom ( hole/ metal tab) attachment deal. Immediately drilled an 3/16" hole through back slot of cover trough back plastic clip and inserted shortened 8" cable tie. Problem solved. Tried to keep it OEM, but when OEM sucks and its $100 a whack, you gotta do what you gotta do. Also re-positioned tank breather valve by adding some length to (upper) skinny tube and snaking it down some hole found in the vast open space between rear cylinder and frame. Whacked off plastic snap/clip that holds that valve with utility knife. Now there's nothing rubbing on cover, and not so tangled up in blue behind it. .

$20 wasted at dealer for an inadequate non-fix. There should be a recall, and real fix for this problem. There ought to be a law against this behavior. If a side cover flies off and whacks a kids head off, I'd hold MOCO responsible for damages. MOCO-you knew you had a problem, or you wouldn't have offered a fix. So sorry your 10 cent pieces of plastic didn't solve it, although you managed to squeeze a subsequent healthy profit off your own mistake(s). You are knowingly allowing a dangerous condition to continue. You set yourself up for an easy beating in court. You know we got you by the sack, this time. So, offer to replace our road-trashed side covers for free. And let us know when we can swing by dealer to pick up newly designed covers and clips for free.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:45 AM
MikeLaPlaya
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

i think drill a small hole and put in a nylon zip tie ..i have lost mine still trying to get another ...

Quick Reply: Left Side Cover Fell Off