Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left Side Cover Fell Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:55 PM
ravenron
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Side Cover Fell Off

Hey guys...new to this board and impressed by the amount of knowledge here.&nbsp\\; Recently purchased an 05 Sportster XL883 Custom&nbsp\\;for my son and have had trouble keeping the left side cover on.&nbsp\\; I thought I had finally gotten it attached firmly but hit an unexpected bump amidst some road construction on Thursday...Damn...it was pretty violent (thought I might have bent the rims).&nbsp\\; In any case, after regaining control of the bike, I noticed the side cover bouncing off into traffic...[:@]

Long story slightly longer...side cover trashed, new one ordered, $107 poorer.&nbsp\\; Is there any better way to attach this cover to prevent similar issues in the future?&nbsp\\; I've ordered new clips hoping that will help.&nbsp\\; You'd think the old one's would still be good after only 4500 miles.&nbsp\\; Has anyone else had this happen?&nbsp\\;

Thanks in advance and ride safe...[8D]

RR

Old 06-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Booey424
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Left Side Cover Fell Off

I have seen many threads on here about this happening.I am always amazed when it happens cause all the side covers on my 03 883r are bolted on.Not with clips but with screws and bolts.I don't know why Harley decided to go with clips but it seems to not be a very good idea.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never had that problem. I'm sure the retaining clips loose their tensile strength over a period of time.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:33 PM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

Mine did the same thing the other day. Fortunately, my suitcase sized saddlebag kept it from totally dislodging and falling off and I was able to pull over. Now I tug on it really hard to make sure it is firmly clipped inthere.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:34 PM
aceospades
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: ravenron

Hey guys...new to this board and impressed by the amount of knowledge here. Recently purchased an 05 Sportster XL883 Customfor my son and have had trouble keeping the left side cover on. I thought I had finally gotten it attached firmly but hit an unexpected bump amidst some road construction on Thursday...Damn...it was pretty violent (thought I might have bent the rims). In any case, after regaining control of the bike, I noticed the side cover bouncing off into traffic...[:@]

Long story slightly longer...side cover trashed, new one ordered, $107 poorer. Is there any better way to attach this cover to prevent similar issues in the future? I've ordered new clips hoping that will help. You'd think the old one's would still be good after only 4500 miles. Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks in advance and ride safe...[8D]

RR
join the club..mine has fallen off twice now..107 bucks? you could have got the chrome cover cheeper than that!!

Old 06-16-2007, 11:45 PM
ravenron
Advanced

Yeah, you're probably right about getting chrome cheaper but then I'd have to buy two of them and anyway, I was so pissed at the time I just wanted it replaced.[&:] Impulse is rarely a good reaction but that was reflective of my state of mind at the time...

I appreciate the comments...sorry to hear that others are similarly afflicted. Maybe Harley or the aftermarket will come up with a better solution.

Be good.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thye chrome cover is pretty cheap.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:52 PM
ravenron
Advanced

Can you recommend a website for the Thye covers?

Old 06-17-2007, 12:02 AM
FBL2011
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a real problem with the battery cover if you don't get it locked down exactly right.

I lost mine on the interstate and even though I went back and got it..looked like crap on a stick..

I posted a wanted ad here and was fortunate enough to have good dudes like Flatlander and Grassman both offer to sell me theirs...they had upgraded to the chrome covers.

I kept one and the other went to PigInaBlanket who needed one also.

You should post in the wanted area for a cover. Even if you order one new it will probably take a long time to get it..I'm still waiting on a vivid black air cleaner cover I ordered 3 months ago..

Old 06-17-2007, 12:23 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I heard bad stories but never happened to me, I am too lazy to do the mod, maybe I will do it when I learn a lesson one day lol.

Quick Reply: Left Side Cover Fell Off