Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:05 AM
TripleT
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with questions...

OK, I'm new to the HD world and have owned many bikes over the years. I just purchased my first HD which is a 2002 XL 1200C with 2450 miles. The bike is flawless and beautiful. I know there were a few things to consider when looking for my first Harley. I looked at the new models and just couldn't justify the expense so I did the next best thing, I bought a used one with low miles (driven by a 50 year old guy who lives in the country). Anyway, I have just a few questions just to be sure I have a good bike and also a question regarding the exhaust system.

1 - I noticed what I would describe as a chatter comming from the gear box/engine, Normal/Not Normal (very slight in noise but there none the less)?
2 - Vibration, does this year have the solid engine mounts?
3 - I currently have the SE II exhaust and it just doesn't sound right a little quiet and not much of the potato potato signature sound. How hard is it to remove the baffles just to see if the differnce in sound is what I am looking for?
4 - Also, once the bike warms up, it seems to idle quite fast. I have no way to check the RPM setting on the idle as it obviously has just the speedo, is it dealer time?
5- I'm having a hard time finding slip-ons for this year Sportster (if I choose to change out the SE II's). Can anyone recomment and slip-ons for this year bike (I would like to maintain the OEMH pipe and heat shields if possible.)?

Thanks to any and all who can help.

This forum is awesome, and everyone seems really nice and helpful here.

Tripple-T (tennessee trailer trash LOL)

Old 07-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Jules
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Newbie with questions...

1. yes, completely normal. If you have a windshield it will seem louder, the sound reflects off it. I think it's the lifter/pushrod noise, that's where it seems to be coming from on mine. Check your gas cap, when you hear it loudest put your hand on the cap and listen if it got quieter. My gas cap recently started rattling, I have no idea yet how to fix it.

2. Solid mount until 2004, it vibrates.

3. The baffles are held on by 2 bolts in each pipe, but you have to remove the front slip on to remove it. I pulled the baffles on my SE II's and lost some power, I ended up putting them back in. It's loud without them, I set off a few car alarms in town and that's just not what I was going for. Remember if you pull the baffles it will make the motor run leaner and you'll get backfiring on decelleration.

4. Look at the air cleaner, there's a screw just above it on the carb to adjust the idle. I would listen to another Sporster to hear about where it would be and adjust from there.

5. If you do decide to change out the exhaust I would go with the Vance and Hines pipes, they only make any of them are good. My H pipe broke at the weld on the back pipe at about 12,000 miles and I just changed over to the Vance and Hines, I don't know if that is a problem or just a fluke with my bike.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:25 AM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome to the Forum TripleT! You're right, it is a great place.

1) I'm not much of a mechanic, but I think a little slight noise in gearbox/engine is probably nothing to worry about.
2) Yes, rubber mounts came in '04
3) See 1
4) See 1
5) Get the V&H Slip on's... awesome sound!

Again, welcome and ride safe!

Old 07-07-2007, 11:27 AM
TripleT
Intermediate

You guys are great! I appreciate the quick responses. I'm glad to hear I'm not having issues concerning the chatter and thanks for the idle screw location (nothing in the owners manual). I have the OEM bullit muffs and plan on knocking out the baffle plate in those to see how it sounds. One of them has some scratches, so I won't care if my modification doesn't go well, I'll just chuck them if it doesn't work out.

Again thanks for your help and input! Ride on!!

Old 07-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Jules
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

The OEM Mufflers without the baffles sound worse than your SE II's in my opinion. They're really not any louder either. Depending on what state you live in I would keep them stock, if you ever geta 'fix it ticket' for loud pipes or ever have to go through an emmissions test you'll need the stock pipes to pass it. If you look at the bottom of your SE II's it has 'for offroad use only' stamped in it. If you still want to pull them geta big hammer and a sturdy pipe or rod , put the end of the muffler on a piece of wood, and bang away. They're welded in so it'll take a little while. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:51 PM
TripleT
Intermediate

Well as it happens, I didn't mess with the OEM mufflers. I took the SE II's off the bike and looked them over and each had 1 rivet on each holding the baffle in. I went ahead and drilled it out, turned them over and the baffle just fell out, damn that was easy. I went ahead bolted them back on and took a ride, in a word, AWESOME. Just what I was looking for! Yes they are a littleloud under load (WOT) but crusing, not bad, not bad at all. Open the throttle up and 'Holy Crap', the bike screams. It reminded me of the V&H's on one of my past bikes. No back fire, miss, etc. Just perfect. I adjusted the idle down a little, but not too much and it just purrs (or should I say Potato, Potato, LOL).

Anyway, thanks again guys!

PS. The bike had been rejetted when the SE II's were installed by the previous owner. Not much loss of power or tourqe, which is OK, I'm just a cruiser, not a speed demon! Ride on!

Old 07-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Careful with the Idle, the Engine requires 950RPM for proper Oil Pressure at Idle.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you pulled out the enrichiner to start it and don't push it all the wayback in when it warms up it will idle fast.

It vibrates, it is supposed to you'll get used to it. The 04 and up are rubber and only vibrate a little less.

As for the sound. Ride the damn thing. Don't be so concerned with roaring pipes and potato sounds unless your just gonna sit still and rev it a few times then go back in the house.
The machine was made to be ridden. With 2400 miles and being a 2002 nobody did it any favors not using it. Afetr 10,000 miles it will start running.

Change the oil and ride it. My 2003 has over 20,000 on it and it runs stronger than when new. RIDE IT!!!!!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hagar the Horrible
Change the oil and ride it. My 2003 has over 20,000 on it and it runs stronger than when new. RIDE IT!!!!!
WOW! 5k a year HOW do you do it?!?!?!?!?

Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 AM
TripleT
Intermediate

All very good advice, thanks fellas. And yes I plan on riding it! I just wanted the classic signature Harley sound. The SE II's with the baffles in sounded like a Honda LOL. Now it sounds like a Harley, yippie. I'm sure the idle is fine, but will have the dealer check it just the same. It sounds just right now, not too slow, not too fast. Once warmed up it just sounds awesome.

Quick Reply: Newbie with questions...