Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "Strange Problem"

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 02:20 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Another "Strange Problem"

Yesterday I was out riding, and the bike was just fine. I had rode only about 40 miles or so, with 2 different stops along the way. Then I met up with some folks to ride together for just a brief while.

When I started the bike, the check engine light, and battery light came on. I hit the kill switch, then restarted the bike, and only the check engine light was on, for about 10 seconds or less, and it went off. I decided to ride and see what happened next. The bike was running fine, and no further idoit lights came on.

Then after just 3 miles or so, we had to make a quick stop and when I started the bike, the check engine light again came on, just for a few seconds and went off. We completed the visit we had got together to make and got ready to leave. I started the bike, and all was well.

I continued to ride probably another 40 miles or so, made 2 different stops, and no further instance of the check engine light or battery light. This morning I checked the DTC and the code given was P0562, which isBattery Voltage Low.

I checked the ground and all appears to be fine. I've only rode a short bit today, all close to the house, so I haven't dug out the volt meter to check this yet. I'm wondering, do you think I would need a new battery already?

The bike is 15 months old, has almost 21,000 miles, but it has never sit idle for more than 2 days during that time, so the battery has always pretty much been fully charged.

Any ideas here?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:35 PM
bigtop1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another "Strange Problem"

I would say that it is possible that you could need a new one. They have an expected life span but, some are used and abused more than others. If you are using electrical accessories, probably so. You have put on a lot of miles in the short time you have had your bike. They do begin to add up after awhile. Check the output with an ameter to see where/what it is putting out. Go from there. Didn't you get a different light bulb for your bike some time ago that required more juice?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Docholliday88
Novice

I know on my bike, when I turn the ignition on and flip the switch to run, the CEL comes on for a few seconds before I hit start. the dealer told me to wait for it to go off before starting.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:55 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked the ground and all appears to be fine. I've only rode a short bit today, all close to the house, so I haven't dug out the volt meter to check this yet. I'm wondering, do you think I would need a new battery already?
That's what the error code is telling you so yes. It wouldn't be the first time. I know another person with an 06 883 that had to have his battery replaced already as well. I think it largely depends on the climate that you live in.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

I am on my second battery, had my 06 1200C since may 06. We have winter here so it sat(on a tender) for a couple months. Rode it for about two weeks early this spring and it just died while I was at work. Got a new one from the dealer(free) after my mechanic confirmed with his SUNVAT that the battery was indeed toast.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:47 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bigtop1

I would say that it is possible that you could need a new one. They have an expected life span but, some are used and abused more than others. If you are using electrical accessories, probably so. You have put on a lot of miles in the short time you have had your bike. They do begin to add up after awhile. Check the output with an ameter to see where/what it is putting out. Go from there. Didn't you get a different light bulb for your bike some time ago that required more juice?
No, I still have the second stock headlight bulb. That post was about a planned upgrade when this bulb gives up the ghost. I'm gonna check it all out tonight. Dig out the ole Fluke meter and see what I find, I only rode about 30 miles or so today, it was fine, but I'm going about 150 miles outta town in the morning, and return tomorrow night, so I don't really wanna be stranded. Looks like I'll be riding solo.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:09 PM
ronn39
Road Master

I'm glad to see you back on here, SportyPig. Was wondering where you got off to.

Missed seeing you in Robbinsville, but a lot of riders from the Honda Hoot were there and it was pretty crowded.

Maybe next time.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:29 PM
williamfish
Intermediate

Yep' batteries can last for years or only months.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:40 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ronn39

I'm glad to see you back on here, SportyPig. Was wondering where you got off to.

Missed seeing you in Robbinsville, but a lot of riders from the Honda Hoot were there and it was pretty crowded.

Maybe next time.
Oh, I've been around. Even been over to Robinsville a couple of times. I trust you had a good trip, and obviously the Dragon spit ya back out.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:43 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

The trusty Fluke meter says all is ok.

Dunno, I'm gonna head off in the morning. I'll have my HOG card with me, and I will never be more than about 40 miles from a stealership. I made the mistake of clearing the DTC codes, so I'm sure I'll have to wait until it happens again before a stealer would even talk about the problem.

Quick Reply: Another "Strange Problem"