Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing fork springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:15 AM
kylant
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing fork springs

my new progressive fork springs will be here today. i got the standard ones listed for my bike on the progressive website.
are there any tips or suggestions for installing them? or is it straight forward? what is the procedure? do I need to adjust the oil level or replace it? bike only has 650 miles on it.

thanks guys

Old 07-18-2007, 08:42 PM
valveguide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: changing fork springs

Good luck getting them top caps back on ...

I say this , not from doing it on a newer Sporster though.

You have to have a big/gigantic friend to push down on them caps once the new springs are in there.

When I did it I ended up cutting the spacer that sits on top of the spring a bit so that I could get
the caps back on ...

Old 07-18-2007, 10:58 PM
itsshemp
Cruiser

To get the caps back on, I took a marking pen, and marked the cap(without the spacer in),and the tube, where the i felt the very first part of the threads start to catch. This way, when I went to put the cap on (with the spacer in, and under a little pressure), I just turned the cap back a bit, and pushed down as I turned it. I could tell by my markings, where the cap should catch. If it didnt, then I would just try again, It really was not that big of a thing. If I didnt get it on the first try, I did on the second, or maybe thethird.
I have done a few of these, and have used the same proceedure. I also wrap a little black electrical tape on the cap, so not to scratch it with the socket.
Other than that, its prestty straight forward. Draining the old fluid out, makes kinda a mess, but washes off. I personally place rags on the floor where the oil will be draining/shooting, so it wont get all over my garage floor.
If you over fill the forks, I use an old turkey baster to take fluid out. Draining out the hole, takes way too long IMO.
Read your manual to get familiar with the process.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:23 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Let us know how this goes. I need to replace my stock springs, but have been a bit intimidated by the process.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:15 AM
kylant
Road Captain

looking at my service manual, it looks like i may just be able to take the cap off, remove the old spring, check the oil level and reinstall the new one, spacer and cap. does this sound right? or is there more involved in the process?

thanks

Old 07-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Dragon919!
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: kylant

looking at my service manual, it looks like i may just be able to take the cap off, remove the old spring, check the oil level and reinstall the new one, spacer and cap. does this sound right? or is there more involved in the process?

thanks
Thinking about doing this too. Any further feed back?
Thanks,

Old 07-19-2007, 08:35 PM
itsshemp
Cruiser

Thats pretty much it, unless you want to change the fluid, which i did.You will have to measure out the spacer you need, then cut the PVC they give you, but........

Old 07-20-2007, 01:34 AM
kylant
Road Captain

how do you measure out the spacer? i thought you were supposed to use the whole length of the spacer!? the ones that came with the fork are about 3" long

thanks

Old 07-20-2007, 05:13 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not all that hard... may take a time or two... but wasn't a big thing...

Oh... and I'd use the spacer they sent...

Charlie D.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:58 AM
itsshemp
Cruiser

Take a look at the instructions, and it explains how to measure for preload. Basically, once you have the spring in, you measure from the top of the spring, to the top of the fork tube. You have to account for the thickness of the threads on the caps, then cut the PVC spacer to what you need.

The instructions pretty much explain what you are trying to accomplish. 3" spacer on both side, you will have a ROCK hard suspenion, and will most likely damage the springs. They give you enough PVC to make the spacer you may need. I think mine measured out to be about 3/4 of an inch, on each side.

Quick Reply: changing fork springs