Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 02:16 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Replacing Head Gasket

I've got a leak around the rear head gasket. I just wanna an idea of how long is acceptable time for the dealer to make the repair. This looks to me to be a fairly simple repair. Am I missing something? It looks to me like something that could be done in a couple of hours.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:01 AM
bigtop1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Replacing Head Gasket

You're right but, do you think that will happen?

Old 07-25-2007, 07:12 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Dunno if it will happen or not, but I think I have a decent chance of it. There is a stealer that is out in a somewhat rural area that I've discovered has a pretty good service department. They're not as slammed with work as dealers in larger cities, and they seem to have a better attitude towardcustomer service than other dealers. That dealer is only an hour away from me, and it's a pretty good bike ride over there. I wish I had noticed the oil leak sooner, I was at that dealership this past Saturday morning. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the oil leak until Saturday night.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced all of hte gaskets from the base gasket up on my '96 XL1200C. It took me about 3.5 hours all said and done. Since that was the first time I had ever done that I think it was a pretty short time. I know if I had to ever do it again, (and I am sure I will)I know it will take less time now.
E.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:33 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

This is a story that has a happy ending. At least so far.....

Last week, on my way over to the Smoky Mountains to hookup with cHarley to ride a bit in "God's Country" I stopped by a dealership in a fairly rural area. They had done one repair for me before.

I pulled in, and made an appointment to have the rocker cover and head gaskets replaced on the rear cycinder. This morning I rode over and arrived atmy scheduled appointment time. They were expecting me, but were understandablely busy with a couple of other bike. After about 5 mintues, we got started on the paper work, and they were ready to go.

I told them I'd be next door at a Chili's. After about 3 hours, I walked back over to check on their progress. They were just pulling the bike out of the shop and getting ready to wash it. I told them to CERTAINLY take their time with the washing.

About an hour later, someone from the Service Department walked next door and told me my bike was ready whenever I wanted to pick it up in the next 3 hours before they closed. I walked back over with him.

The bike looked great, and they replaced some gaskets that I didn't suspect needed replacing. I ran the hell outta the bike on the way back home. Pretty much did 85 - 90 mph for 70 miles on the superslab. All looks clean and good on the bike!

For once a "Happy Story" from a dealership.

I think the real key here is to find a dealership that isn't too far from a major city, but far enought that they aren't totally swamped with business. At least in this case, they understand the concept of "Customer Service"

Old 08-07-2007, 06:44 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Glad to hear everything worked out like it should. I wish I could find an honest dealer here. The only plus to the dealer here is that next door there is a Rachaels club. For those that don't know, it's an upper class no pasties, no nothing, mens club.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Good to hear you found a good and fair place SportyPig.

I like the local Indy place here. They are very fair and do a good job. I recently had my rear brake switch go out again and they fixed it for a total of $11. The Harley place told me that it was under warranty but I still had to pay $50.[&:]
The Indy also replaced my valve seals for free because I was using a lot of oil after the conversion was done by them. The cool thing is that I didn't have them work on the heads or valve seals at all before, just had them install the cylinders and pistons so that was pretty cool of them.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:33 AM
bigtop1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear that all went well. I do believe that you live a charmed life.