Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting All of the old oil out of crankcase!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 04:13 AM
Stockcarver 2
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flushing oil from Crankcase on sportster

jack bike up, support safly, place in gear, remove both spark plugs, pour engine fush into oil tank, gunk/ kerosene/ alcahol, moonshine? Turn rear wheel by hand , do not start as thinned oil may damage engine, turn wheel, turn wheel, turn, tur, tu..... Remove oil filter and drain into large swimming pool, or coke bottle, also a plastic shield can be made from a coke bottle and placed under the oil filter opening tilted and drained into a small pan, which ever, keep turning wheel and added flush untill clear, then start adding oil of any type, Olive oil is best, then when oil comes out with good viscosity, pour in your engine oil of choice keep pouring in and pumping out, when oil looks good put filter back on, clean it out first or use a new one, then check oil level, keep turning wheel by hand, then remove jack, recheck oil level, Start engine and recheck oil viscosity, Repeat steps over if oil looks dirty or changes color to black, Note, ( pour oil into jugs with a dipper, and allow old oil to flow back into pan, after placing most oil in jugs thin remaining oil with USED BRAKE FLUID, and a little laquer thinner, then pou used oil in jugs, then thin with a little more laquer thinner, once oil is allmist gone pour onto a large piece of glass and inspect with microscope all particales for pieces of needle bearings, 1/64" or 1/32" round objects, bushing shavings or dust or Aluminum pieces , there will not be any black carbon pieces like you find in primary case oil along with tranny oil(together) in two part case, primary oil is like tractor trans fluid(john deer type) and has pritection elements added for black clutch pad life and adhesion,,

Old 10-18-2016, 06:19 AM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts
Old 10-21-2016, 10:27 AM
boston jim
Contact IB Sales to have your account opened
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tjones
Okay, has anyone figured out how to get all of the old oil out of the sportster motor? If so will you share? I hate dirty oil. The bike is a 2004 sportster.
Sorry, I'm a little late to this party ! WOW ! There are guys on here, that don't know where there oil drain is ! There are so many Myths & Opinions, without Merit or Fact !

I've been around Sportsters for 50 years, rode many Ironhead Strokers in the day ! My Good Friend Phil invented the Scavenger System for Harleys ! I have a Scavenger T-Fitting on my 1986 1st year Evo Sportster, it takes an additional 5 minutes, to do the job ! The only problem is, the oil stays so clean, for so much longer, you can't read the dipstick ! I also have a Evo Scavenger for my 1999 FXSTC, Love It ! My 99 manual, covers the last Evo motors & the 1st Twin Cam, Rubber Mounts. It states there is a little residual oil in the Evo motor at oil change, don't be concerned, HA ! The Twin Cam has NO residual oil, HA, watch the Scavenger video !

tjones, the 1st 6 years of the Rubber Mount Sportster (2004 - 2009) has the end of the Return oil line under the left side plastic cover, don't know why ? But, it does make for an easy Complete Oil Change ! The problem with the back yard oil changes, 1, do I leave the old filter on, & push clean oil thru it, or 2, put on a New Clean oil filter, & push dirty oil thru it, till the oil runs clean, then you need a NEW oil filter ? Or you buy the Scavenger Billet Puck, that redirects all the dirty oil back out, into the drain bucket ! The Twin Cam Puck fits all 1999 thru 2016 Twin cams & all Sportsters from 1986 to the present ! The Big Twin Evos are different, oil goes in the opposite direction, from the Twin Cams ! GOT IT ? Any Questions ?

PS, Don't ever pull the casting plug (it's like a Freeze Plug in a car), you'll lose your oil pressure !