Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please - Ride On for Joe!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 03:55 PM
ionate
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please - Ride On for Joe!

Guys, I have a HUGE favor to ask. Ihave a great, and long time dear friend (actually, he's just like a part of the family) who is76 or 77 years old, who I can say without a doubt is the biggest harley fan that I've known. He has been faithfully riding Harleys since he was in his early teens and has traveled many miles across the cont. USin his 60+ years of riding. There wasn't a harley that would cruise by that he would miss, and he would always point it out and say, "Oh, there goes a harley."

Even his birthday fell on Halloween.... (Harley colors - orange and black). He was one of the first to buy one of the Harley Ford trucks that came out (although he later sold it for a mustang, also his favorite) and there wasn't a thing in his house or possessionthat didn't have the Harley badge or colors on it. His house had a special garage just for his Harley and even well into his 70's he would be out riding every day (he has been single for the past 20 years or so).

His health had been going down within the past year or more and he had to sell his latest Harley about a year ago.Still, he was talking about buying another bike months later because he really missed it and he said that he was starting to feel better again (I had my doubts, but knew it was the true "harley blood" talking that was still in him!)

Unfortunately, getting another bike was definitely not in the plans for Joe. He was put into the hospital about 4 months ago for heart surgery and he ended up having a stroke at the same time.

Now he cannot talk coherently at all (otherwise his mind is functioning properly), as he can only move his mouth and he has movement in only one arm.His oldest daughter put him in a nursing home bc he lived a lone, so now he's in bed 24x7 (I didn't reallylike that decision, but I didn't have any say in it and it's best I stay out of that!).

I plan on taking off of work this week to go visit him, as hard as it will be to see him like that. My wife found various pictures of him and his harley and the last time she visited him she asked if he wanted them posted up in his room but he nodded his head "no". When asked, he did want to see the new Harley bikes that just came out, so it's good to see that he still has that "harley" blood in him!

I just can't imagine how that would feel after living for riding like he truly did and all of a sudden not only being taking away from the freedom of riding, but the freedom of living in his own house.

I get depressed whenever I think about the whole situation, but I know there's nothing I can do to change that, except to try to lift his spirits when I go to visit him this week. I'm still thinking about taking something "harley" to him, but haven't decided on what to take just yet and not sure how he would react.

(Any suggestions on what to take or give? He can still see and still has the same "Joe" attitude - wants everything just so and if the nurses do not listen, he'll make sure to let them know in his own way!)

He was starting to give me some of his old harley stuff before his surgery since I had just bought my bike. He gave me a license plate frame from one of the original Harley stores that opened up here in Austin a long time ago, and also things like a harley tool bag, harley pictures and some other cool harley stuff.

Anyway, please do me a huge favor and on your next ride, "ride for Joe". Honk the horn a couple of times or something! If it helps to sort of know what he looks like, just think of Willie Nelson! (In fact, there's a funny story that he would sign autographs for people that thought he was really willie)

I believe there is also a lesson to be learned from this story-- while you also remember Joe while out riding, remember to enjoy and appreciate life e

Old 07-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Geezer Glide Thunder
Advanced
Default RE: Please - Ride On for Joe!

Not only will my friends and I "ride for Joe" and honk our horns on our next ride, we will make it a "dedicated to Joe a guy we don't know personally, but all love to love" ride.

I am the asst. director of a not for profit organization of women who ride and raise funds for charity organizations in our community. We are having a big ride on Aug 18th and I will talk to the ladies tonight and tell them this story. It is moving and heartwarming - I cannot help but hope that I am still riding in my 60's and beyond as Joe did.

Take care and remember....

Ride free and safe....in the wind

Mindi

Old 07-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Tommo
Extreme HDF Member

Nice post mate.....my Dad was in a similar condition,so It brings back memories.......damn! I think there's summat in my eye.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:00 PM
mountainmistress
Ultimate HDF Member

Dang! That got me all choked up! I am sorry for your friend, and I will for sure take a nice long ride in his honor. Enjoy your visit with him, and treasure every minute that you have with him.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:04 PM
liddown
Cruiser

Thanks for the story wel honk for him tonight! Maybe a nice Harley Baseball Cap would be something he could wear!

Old 07-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Tommo
Extreme HDF Member

Could he watch a Harley based video/dvd?

Old 07-30-2007, 05:25 PM
kardoc
Cruiser

awesome tale bro... I'm gonna honk the horn for him and for you . He sounds like a really good person , sorry I didn't know him . May God bless him and make some of us more like he is !

Old 07-30-2007, 06:26 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be honored to honk tonite. Good of you to do this for your friend.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:40 PM
eggroll
Road Master

I'll be cruising along the water tonight; I'll send a couple of honks out for your pal.[sm=biker.gif]

Maybe a point-of-view video from behind the handlebars?

Tell him we're thinking of him.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:09 PM
mr.hammond
Road Captain

if he is in a wheechair,how about a bell?

Quick Reply: Please - Ride On for Joe!