Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty - is it worth the cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:06 AM
EzRyder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty - is it worth the cost?

I got my bike (07 1200c) less than a month ago. When I purchased the bike, the dealer offered the extended warranty (5 years, 2 years overlapping w/ standard HD warranty) for around $1,000. Seems steep to me - do Harley's break that often? Is it worth it? I could wait until just before the HD warranty expires -- then will it bea 3 warranty or still 5 years?

Has anyone needed to use the extended warranty? Or had it and wish they had not. For our family cars, we tend to skip on the extended warranties and for the most part, find that to be a wise decision. But bike are different from cars ..

Old 08-09-2007, 06:30 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts
Default RE: Extended Warranty - is it worth the cost?

Personally, I wouldn't buy it. A number of people here have purchased it and then wound up cancelling it. The 2 year HD warranty seems to be long enough to sort out and uncover factory defects for most situations. Also, you don't have to worry about a 5 year long threat of canceling your warranty because of a modification done to your bike. Just my .02

Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 AM
smag
Advanced

When I bought my 1200 Custom a month ago I quizzed the dealer on the extended warranty. He said about 50% of customers buy it. I passed on it. You are only buying another 3years protection with the "5 year" extended warranty product no matter when you buy it during the 2 year factory warranty period.

That being said; I have seldom purchased extended warrantys on anything but could have used them once or twice; once on a jetski when the engine blew, but you know what, the extended warranty seller would have BLAMED ME for that anyway and not paid up no doubt.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:04 PM
AKsavage
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory warrenty had expried by the time I bought my bike, though they didn't tell me that at the time of purchase. Anyways, if I had'nt bought the extendedI'd have no warrenty at all. Only had to use it once so far for my speedometer, still glad I got it though.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:13 PM
wannahdawg
Road Captain

i used mine twice on my 2002 883R. the shift drum went out and the dealer had to pull the whole primary case/ clutch assy and everything apart. then again when my clutch exploded a month after they finished the shift drum. so i'd say i'd buy the warranty. i just bought the extended warranty on my 07. good luck.

later,

wanna

Old 08-09-2007, 05:27 PM
crash1292
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not even if it was free...selective warranty...run run as fast as you can

Old 08-09-2007, 05:33 PM
wannahdawg
Road Captain

i disagree. if you read the warranty, it's just like the any warranty. doesn't cover tires, belts, fluids, brakes, etc. but it does cover all the expensive stuff. you might have to badger the dealer or call the warranty customer service (which is awesome by the way). but they did me right.

later,

wanna

Old 08-09-2007, 05:59 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The extended warranty question seems to be one of the top 5 questions posted here. Here's a response I have not yet seen...

Several people have sold their sporty and moved on to another model within a couple years or less. In some of those instances, having the extra warranty, assuming it's tranferrable, is a nice selling feature to make a prospective buyer feel good about buying your bike.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:09 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If something doesn't fail during the first two years of the normal factory warranty then there's a very good chance that a particular part wasn't faulty in its manufacture and wasn't installed improperly or the failure would have shown up in the first two years.

I have never bought an extended warranty on anything in my life and have yet to regret it on any one single item.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:05 AM
troutspinner
Advanced

Warranties i.e. insurance is offered from homes to ipods. They are offered because they are a money maker for the companies selling the warranty. From the company stand-point, they will profit as the products do not break enough to cause a loss, if it were any different, they would not offer the warranty. From a consumer standpoint, there is only one place where the term "insurance" is used correctly, and that is at the blackjack table.

It all comes down to how comfortable you feel and nothing to do with product quality. If you like that sense of protection, it's worth it. I do caution you however that if you catch the mod bug like pretty much everyone else here, those mods could come into question on any future repairs you might need. How would you feel knowing that you paid the premium and have to argue the repair cost because you installed some slip-ons or something else insignificant.

Personal experience, I bought it 3 times onnew cars and only had to useit once due to a bad supercharger. If I averaged out the cost,Ilost by alot.

troutspinner

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty - is it worth the cost?