Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended service contract

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:26 PM
seikan1
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended service contract

When I purchased my sportster, I also was talked into to buying the extended service contract, etc. I have taken my bike to the dealer for all service and it has only cost me $20 each time for the syn oil. I now have nearly 14,000 miles on the bike and was recently talking with the salesman that sold me the bike. He of course, wants to sell me another bike. I told him that I am too upside down on the deal and owe way too much on my bike. He said that the extended service contract can be transfered to a new bike.

He also told me that the break even point is 12,500 miles. he said that I am taking them to the cleaners with the service contract as I still have roughly two years left on it.

Does that make sense?

Old 08-14-2007, 07:32 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts
Default RE: Extended service contract

Sounds like a lot of salesman [sm=icon_blah.gif]to me.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:17 PM
smag
Advanced

ORIGINAL: seikan1

He said that the extended service contract can be transfered to a new bike.
Amazing how money will solve anything. I think 50% of customers buy the extended contracts. If you own your bike long enough you might be coming out ahead; but remember; they don't sell extended contracts to lose money on them.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:48 PM
allthatwhichis
Cruiser

I got a dumb question... what does the extended service plan do? [&:]

Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Booey424
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It costs you money.Thats about it

Old 08-14-2007, 09:16 PM
seikan1
Road Warrior

Well...call me ignorant...but I see the price list for this service and that service listed on their price board at the service dept in the dealership...everything appears to be $300 for this and $225 for that....

Supposedly, I am getting all of this done on the service contract. I only pay for the syn oil they put in the bike ($20).

I admit...they saw me coming...first bike in 22 years...ready to buy...the salesman was salivating when he talked to me...I think they got me good....I can only continue to ride my bike and have them do the maintenance on it under their terms. Hopefully I will come out ahead somehow.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:29 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His efforts would be to help himself and his employer.Him with a sales commission and the dealer with less service on a higher mileage bike.My salesman tried to sell me his demo road king.I declined.It was a nice bike with ghost skulls in the paint but 20 grand for a used bike?If you do it remember you will have fuel injection and any mods they do they will require dyno time.Big bucks where I live.You would also have to buy a tuner of some type.Good luck on whatever you decide.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I transfered my 883's contract to my 1200. The original price is 1700 bucks. I had it and the tire contract transfered for 300 bucks. Is it worth it? I think so. Harley calls it a kinda special freind contract. Any services until 2009 is covered. Anything! Normal wear and tear, covered. Blownout tire or worn out tire for doing burnouts, covered. By the time my contract expires, I'll have used more than the value of it. Besides. It goes into the purchase price.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:57 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are a mechanic Dallas.If you can do service on a car you should be able to do it on a bike.If someone can't do things by themselves I may be able to see the savings.Maybe the hd dealers inflated the prices to make it seem like a good deal and are ramming it up the a$$ of the people that don't have the contract to pay for it when they have to fix a bike.Either way it comes down to end consumer cost.If they lose you lose when you buy a bike from them.$1700 covers a lot of oil and filters and tires if you ask me.That is do it yourself of course.The warranty covers the rest if they are willing to cover warranty items.That's for another thread though.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's true. I look at it this way. When the contract is over in 09, I plan on doing the work myself. I just thought it was easier to pay3 dollars a month more for them to handle it.

Quick Reply: Extended service contract