Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable sissy bar and side bags

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Dr.Cool
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachable sissy bar and side bags

Anyone have a pic of the hardware for you detachable sideplates and detachable sidebags? I want to see a pic of the hardware on the bike. I have the detachable sideplates but not the side bags... I want to see what I can do without spending 700 bucks on harley saddle bags.
Thanks

Old 08-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Detachable sissy bar and side bags

It aint exactly "detachable" but it is removable, and it aint Saddle bags,,,,but it works!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3178/10E440A0F441486D8487AFB90833AFAA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3178/0210286C87B54CC5B1F49C7D6A33329C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-29-2007, 11:36 PM
fishn4life
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a link to my 1200N with River Road 12" slant bags.
These fit perfect on the N andgo great withthe detachable sissy.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1799440/tm.htm

Fish

Old 08-30-2007, 08:21 AM
mejonesrebel
Cruiser

I have an '01 with the detachable sideplates, and throw over saddle bags, here is a pic of my junk. I can get you more detailed pics later, but this will have to do for now. the saddlebags are off in this pic, but the sissy bar is on, and you can see the saddlebage supports.

later

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2056608/tm.htm

Old 08-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as I can remember, I don't think HD makes any removable bags that go with a removable sissy bar, or did I miss-read your post?I just went through this with a friends scoot, couldn't find anything in Dennis Kirk either. Finally went with throwover bags with a removable sissybar. That was just last month. Unless someone came up with something since then.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:00 AM
mejonesrebel
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Zimbob

As far as I can remember, I don't think HD makes any removable bags that go with a removable sissy bar, or did I miss-read your post?I just went through this with a friends scoot, couldn't find anything in Dennis Kirk either. Finally went with throwover bags with a removable sissybar. That was just last month. Unless someone came up with something since then.
that is the only way to do this, you cannot have hard bags, or "detachable style bags with a detachable style sissy bar, you have to do the throwover saddlebags

the reason this is so, is there is just not enough places to mount the detacable docking stuff

If you want the setup I have, along with the sissy bar and pad, you have to get the detachable sideplates, and the docking kit. To mount the throwover saddle bags you really should get the saddlebag supports to keep the saddlebags out of the suspension and the belt.

You can contact me with how I did it on my bike, but those are the basics.

You can just go the easy route, and get the sissy bar sideplates that just stay on the bike, then you could get the detachable saddlebags, either hard, or leather.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mejonesrebel

that is the only way to do this, you cannot have hard bags, or "detachable style bags with a detachable style sissy bar, you have to do the throwover saddlebags

the reason this is so, is there is just not enough places to mount the detacable docking stuff

If you want the setup I have, along with the sissy bar and pad, you have to get the detachable sideplates, and the docking kit. To mount the throwover saddle bags you really should get the saddlebag supports to keep the saddlebags out of the suspension and the belt.

You can just go the easy route, and get the sissy bar sideplates that just stay on the bike, then you could get the detachable saddlebags, either hard, or leather.
That's what I found out. I was also told that I couldn't use the bag supports with the detachable sideplates. I found a way. Just needed a grinder and a torch !! worked good but my buddie went with the permently mounted sideplates. made my work for nothing.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:05 AM
mejonesrebel
Cruiser

That's what I found out. I was also told that I couldn't use the bag supports with the detachable sideplates. I found a way. Just needed a grinder and a torch !! worked good but my buddie went with the permently mounted sideplates. made my work for nothing.
You don't even need the grinder and the torch, you just need to get two bolt that are not included in the kit. They are included, but they are too short. You just have to order a longer set, and it will work and bolt right up.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member

You don't even need the grinder and the torch, you just need to get two bolt that are not included in the kit. They are included, but they are too short. You just have to order a longer set, and it will work and bolt right up.

True, just makes the bags stick out a bit far. it's easier to go to the hardware store and get the bolts. That's what I did. Cheaper too. Needed the torch to bend the braces back so the bags didn't stick out to far. used the grinder to bring them in anout 3/8" closer too. Just what my bro wanted. Wasn't my call.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Adam Croft
Stage III

I'm thinking of drilling holes in the side plate of my tall detachable sissy bar and mounting a set of viking bags with the hard back. If it works I'll be able to take it off as one peice (sissy bar and bags) or use some wing nuts on the inside of the hardbacked bags or what ever. I'm just worried how safe that would be drilling two holes on each side. I just ordered the bags so we'll see.

Quick Reply: Detachable sissy bar and side bags