Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage one - how much did you spend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Doublew
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage one - how much did you spend?

I am kind of new here. This is my 2nd post. Just wondering, how much did you guys spend for your stage one (if you did it thru HD dealer). I got my V & H slips on, hypercharger, carb rejetted plus touring seat & aset of Kuryakyn heel rest + pegsall for about $850 including labor cost. The V& H bafflescost me another $60. Total = $910.

I didn't go to the dealer, or buy anything thru the internet. I got everything from our local mechanic who ordered and installed everything for me. That seems to be very reasonable to me.What willall these cost me (plus labor) if Ido everythingthru aHDdealer?After paying almost $400 for my 1000 miles service, I don't trust the dealer anymore. I think the parts might cost the same, but thelabor.....who knows.I think the dealer is just want to rip us off. I just want to do some comparison.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:18 PM
jeramy
Banned
Default RE: Stage one - how much did you spend?

sorry mine had the stage one already on itwhen i bought it

Old 09-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Doublew
Intermediate

Thanks. Anybody did this thru dealer?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like you need to find a new dealer!

My first service was free, of course all they did was change oil. The dealer I use now, after hearing some of the problems I had offered to go over the entire bike while they had it for a warranty issue. I told them to go ahead and do so.
When I picked the bike up,they went over everything with me.They did the warranty work,which was caused by a poor first service. They also found a few things I was not aware of yet ,but would have found in a bad way. (also things that should have been checked during the first service.

Anyway my point, they went through the whole bike, it's been perfect ever since. They also didn't charge me a dime. They said it would be well worth it to them to take care of me know. How right he is!!!!

I'm already planning my street glide purchase[sm=biker2.gif]

As far as stage 1, most mods are easy enough to do your self. The only time my bike will see any dealer for work, it will be warranty work or major engine failure! which is likely considering how I ride sometimes [sm=teetertooter.gif]

Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 PM
rbrunyan
Cruiser

I didn't go to the dealer. Just couldn't part with the extra money. I did my V&H slip-ons $200, Big Sucker 1 $99, both new from ebay, myself. I rejetted my carb $6 for a jet (didn't see the need for "a kit"). Couldn't have been easier. Great instructions here. Thanks again ******! It did help that I have a mechanical background. Saved a ton of money on labor. Anyway, sounds like you did ok with your local guy.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:09 PM
why_me
Cruiser

How about those with an 07 when it needs a tune or download from someone to run properly? I'd be curious as to how much it costs those that can't just rejet the carb and go. Mine, with a full dyno tune, is costing a shade over $500, but that is with some of it being covered by insurance due to an accident I had. In the end, I have no idea what it would cost to do the upgrade outright.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:19 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

DoubleW,

I don't necessarily think you overpaid. Of that $900 figure, I'd expect at least half of that to have been spent on the accessories you said you bought. That still leaves a pseudo pricey labor bill....but.....labor is expensive. But with it you get someone you can talk to if things aren't right. Of course you can DIY and save a bundle but not everyone has the time, skills, tools, or facilities to do the work themselves.

As far as the 1000mi service bill from the dealer....dunno. I know several people had that included with the purchase of the bike, dealer ran a special, etc. In any case, I believe the dealer should do the 1000mi service, even if it costs a few dollars more. If you have a major issuebrewing inside the motor somewhere, you want them to find it sooner than later. If they don't, andsomething breaks down the road. Being able to say they were the last people to work on itwill make it hard for them to pin the problem on you. You could buy a service manual and DIY this too though. Not sure how thorough DIY is compared to competent service. (Yeah there are knuckleheads out there that may not do stellar work. But if they screw it up or miss something you can take it back. If you do it, all you can do is look in the mirror)

A lot of people spend more money in the beginning until they are comfortable doing the work themselves or find a good mech they trust that won't break the bank. Your experience in not unique.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You hit the nut on the head!!! Awesome!

Old 09-05-2007, 11:39 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Dyno run x 2 $60
Big Sucker 1 A/C $99
V&H straight shot slip on $249
Main jet free w/dyno run
Labor free
I never spend any money on service, I do all the maintenance by myself.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:49 PM
AKsavage
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember how much I spent, nor do I want to. I do remember it was well worth it though. It was like getting a whole new bike, went with SE II slipons, SE aircleaner and a carb rejet. Had a new rear tire put on at the same time. Later I added a SE ignition, now I want more displacement, new heads, and a bigger cam. There is no end in sight, but no better way to spend my money either.

Quick Reply: Stage one - how much did you spend?