Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster vs SuperGlide ~ Just Something To Consider

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:09 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Sportster vs SuperGlide ~ Just Something To Consider

The first "real bike" I ever owned was a new 1972 Harley FX 1200 SuperGlide that I bought, well, back in 1972.

Back then (and in prior years) the 1200 was the most powerful stock Harley you could buy, even though it's performance figures pale in comparison to the modern 2004+ 1200 Sportsters. I believe the 'Hot Rod' FX SuperGlide's were rated right around 60 horsepower.

Lot's of guys I knew had the 1200 FX models (they were hot sellers), and the bikes had no problems at all making numerous cross country trips either "1 up" or "2 up".

I have the detail specifications for the FX SuperGlide saved somewhere, and the weight and physical demensions were not that much different than the current day 1200C's.

Back then they were considered "large, high performance" machines...

Now many consider the 1200's "small beginners bikes"...

Makes you wonder.

(Here is a picture I found of a '72 FX 1200 SuperGlide. Mine was exactly like the one shown, except for 4" over front tubes I installed.)

Old 09-06-2007, 09:18 AM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sportster vs SuperGlide ~ Just Something To Consider

Yeah - the Sportster as a small, beginner bike thing has been brought up before, at least once by me! It may be small frame wise compared to the big twins but it's got a great engine and definitely is NOT a beginner's bike! I think most of this attitude exists among people who simply do not understand how bikes all have a distinct personality and purpose. You cannot simply judge a bike by it's "size" alone.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:20 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My old man had a '74 Superglide while I was growing up. Man that bike seemed HUGE when I was a kid . .lol

Old 09-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This "small beginners bike" thing was something that was started by the "big twin" riders that couldn't keep up with a sportster. you know the drill, you can't compete with something, you down it. After a while, people begin to take it for the gospel. Just the way I see it anyhow.
As for me, I love my sportster, Very versital, nimble, lots of power. NOT a bigginer bike by a long shot. NOT a small bike either. Just smaller than others, bigger than some, middle weight is better.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:43 AM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member

I always laugh quietly to myself when a beginning rider or a woman looking for her first Harley says they are thinking about a Sportster, as if that is the safest, most rideable bike Harley makes. Truth is, you're talking about the lightest, fastest bike Harley makes, saving the Rods (V-rod, Street Rod, etc.)My opinion (take it or leave it) is if you learn on a 1200 or 883, there is not a bike out there (stock) that you can't ride with very littlegetting used to. In retrospect, those who have never ridden a 1200, and do for the first time, usually go on and on about the torque, speed, and handleing. Like said before, it's a matter of preference and function.

I've done a lot of comparing of Harley models since I bought my 1200. What I've found is this: Now that the XLs exist, and "XL" stands for just what it says...the only differences b/ween all themodels that I find,is the size of the sheet metal, the position of the rider on the frame, and the weight of the bike which directly relative to what the bike has on it, excluding the rider .

Old 09-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: TXjammer

I always laugh quietly to myself when a beginning rider or a woman looking for her first Harley says they are thinking about a Sportster, as if that is the safest, most rideable bike Harley makes. Truth is, you're talking about the lightest, fastest bike Harley makes, saving the Rods (V-rod, Street Rod, etc.)My opinion (take it or leave it) is if you learn on a 1200 or 883, there is not a bike out there (stock) that you can't ride with very littlegetting used to. In retrospect, those who have never ridden a 1200, and do for the first time, usually go on and on about the torque, speed, and handleing. Like said before, it's a matter of preference and function.

I've done a lot of comparing of Harley models since I bought my 1200. What I've found is this: Now that the XLs exist, and "XL" stands for just what it says...the only differences b/ween all themodels that I find,is the size of the sheet metal, the position of the rider on the frame, and the weight of the bike which directly relative to what the bike has on it, excluding the rider .

AMEN brother. My thoughts exactly. By the way, nice scoot you have there.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 AM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you much!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:26 AM
celticgent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh, stop trying to validate your chick bike by trying to compare it to a REAL harley.

just kidding.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:41 PM
ride2tires
Road Master

"Beginner/Girl's Bike"

the girlfriend just purchased a '06 Superglide. nice bike.
we were out putzing around the neighborhood letting her get a feel for the thing. she did great!! we switched bikes(my1200) and not more than a block away i could hear her screaming, " give me my bike back!!!".
she did not like the "top-heavy", snappy power, and handling of the bike.
she has ridden since june.

"Beginner/Girl's Bike"

Old 09-06-2007, 05:46 PM
dano1200R
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

H-D's own sales figures show the Dyna is the most commonly purchased bike by women.

Quick Reply: Sportster vs SuperGlide ~ Just Something To Consider