Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:55 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield Recommendations?

Ok . . I think it's time I invested in a windshield for my bike ('05 1200C). I am 6' tall - what height windshield would be proper? I was looking at the Harley QD compact in low profile and standard height. Which would be better for me? Are there better aftermarket windshields (Memphis, Windvest, etc)? Thanks.

Also, if anyone is looking to unload one for a fair price, pls let me know.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:35 PM
froogle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Windshield Recommendations?

I've been wondering the same thing, so looking forward to the answers here. I'm really enjoying my new Sportster and putting a ton of miles on it, but I can't help thinking I'd be more comfy on long long rides with a windshield. Would be cool to see more piccies as well.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:37 PM
indyjeff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered one from Memphis Shades.I ordered the 19"tall Fats version. It may look kinda silly on a slim Sportster, but I didn't buy it for looks.

Cold weather will be here in November, probably.

I am not planning or wish to winterize my bike. I have winterized some in the past years, but not this time.

My bike will set beside me in my living room, nice and warm. Hopefully I can get rid of the stink before I bring it in. It workedOK before when I had my Hayabusa.I sucked the fumes out of the pipes with a shop vac. Don't know if thatwas helpful or not, but I did it anyway.

Back on subject...........
I am 5' 10" and will wait to see what I end up with. If you change or have changed your seat, that may change your sitting height as well. I amplanning on changing seats one of these days.

FYI
$123.78 for shield
$91.92 for mounting kit
through Discount Cycle Parts

Old 09-08-2007, 08:44 PM
beendad
Road Warrior

I've got the 14" smoked from windvest. I love it, it doesn't distract from the style of the bike while providing considerable protection from the wind, bugs, rocks, etc... I'll attach a pic on monday.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:29 PM
carpet dude
Tourer

I also am 6' and the H-D quick detatch standard height works great for me , got it used on ebay for 200.00. I hardly ever ride with out it. If you are not used to a windsheild sometimes the buffeting they can cause can be a issue, it did take me a few rides to get used to it but now its a non issue. ope this helps.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:31 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bump

Old 09-09-2007, 08:50 AM
martmann
Intermediate

I also have the standard QD windshield and I wish it was bigger the top line of the shield in right in my line of site. I am sure I would catch a lot of crap for having some thing big on a sportster but in the cold it sure would help a lot.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:54 AM
TimC
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The HD Quick Disconnect is a really nice design. I have standard size and find it a good height, I'm 5'11 Make sure to shop around on-line you can save at least $50

Old 09-09-2007, 09:07 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

ORIGINAL: martmann

I also have the standard QD windshield and I wish it was bigger the top line of the shield in right in my line of site. I am sure I would catch a lot of crap for having some thing big on a sportster but in the cold it sure would help a lot.
Most riders I know including myself consider the ideal height to be about the tip of your nose. Your line of sight should be just above and over the top of the shield.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:05 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The height of the weenie shield really depends on how high you sit in the saddle more than how tall you are. I'm 6'0" or a little over, but my inseam is only 30" So, my upper body is long, and I set pretty high in the saddle. I have the HD Quick Release Weenie Shield, and it's really not high enough for me. The top of the shield is just under my chin, therefore the wind is deflected directly into my eyes. This causes my goggles to "dance around" and blurs my vision. But the standard height is ugly enough, I wouldn't think of putting a larger shield on the bike.

I rarely use the thing (only for long interstate trips), so it works fine for me. Especially the quick detach part. That way, once I arrrive at my distination, I can quickly remove the thing, hopefully before too many people see it on the bike.l

I got mine on ebay for $165

Quick Reply: Windshield Recommendations?