Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Crankcase Breather Hose Routing/Oil Feed Line Check Valve

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 03:47 AM
landrover432
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Crankcase Breather Hose Routing/Oil Feed Line Check Valve

Greetings! I have an inquiry aboutthe 1991 Harley Sportster that you might be able to help me with. I dont have a workshop manual for the bike yet and would like to know how to find the oil pump check valve.

The oil pump on my Harley is located on the bottom of the engine, near the right hand side, bottom frame rail where three fittings come out. I have readsome posts regarding sumping and i suspect that my engine has this condition. It does not have difficulty starting from cold, all i noticed is that oil spews out from the breather hose when i start the engine(and sometimes when it running.

Also, from the thread about routing the oil lines,from what i understood fromthe posts isthat there should be three lines coming from the engine going to the oil tank, namely the oil feed line, the breather line and the return line to the oil tank. Whereas my bike has four line coming from the engine. They are as follows:

There are three oil lines that i can trace that goes to the oil pump. One that is pointing towards the rear of the Harley which i suppose is the oil feed line bec it goes to the bottom most tube coming from the oil tank. Two are pointing towards the front of the Harley, one goes to the external oil cooler and the other goes to the oil filter housing which is located in front of the front cylinder.

Now what confuses me is that there is another fitting coming out of the engine(aside frome the engine case breather), it is located just a little forward of the front sprocket of the drive belt. Itroutes back to the oil tank through the tube that is directly connected to the top of the oil tank.

The tube that is attached to the side of the oil tank is connected to the oil cooler which is routed back to the oil pump. The engine breather from the engine does not attach to any tube on the oil tank so its left open that is why whenever i start the engine it spews some oil in between the oil tank and the battery.

My question is where is the breather hose supposed to be attached? And does oil spewing out of the breather during start-up qualify as sumping? Does it mean that i have to access the oil pump check valve for checking?

I would appreciate it very much if you could extend any assistance regarding these matters.

Thank you.

[IMG]local://upfiles/43306/8FF366E75C504EF499667FD5475F1BEB.jpg[/IMG]