Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proven bolt on performance???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:30 AM
NumberingRavens
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Proven bolt on performance???

Oh yea I forgot to ask, is the hyper charger that I have any good? I do not know to much about modding the bike. I just know about rebuilding old ones.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:41 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

ORIGINAL: NumberingRavens

Oh yea I forgot to ask, is the hyper charger that I have any good? I do not know to much about modding the bike. I just know about rebuilding old ones.
The tests and reports I've seen on it indicate it's more show than go when compared to some others. The problem seems to be that while it looks like a "ram air" scoop, the hole in the bottom of the can prevents any real ram air action. Secondly, real ram air design only does anything once you reach speeds upwards of about 50mph. At that speed the Hypercharger controls have closed down the butterfly intakes and it's just sucking in air from the lower hole. On the brightside, it's better than the stock can.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:06 PM
sbarnes489
Advanced

I just used a K&N and dropped it in the stock housing. I will look into that first of all. I know that I'm not the best rider in the world, but I did race MX for 12 years and that equals a lot of hole shots. I know how to drop the clutch and rev it out where it needs to be. I can take off way a head of him and he will still manage to catch, pass and pull away. I was just wondering if the new fuel injection was that much better than the carb'd engines. I don't know a whole lot about carbs, so I had it rejetted at the local shop here, so I know that it is done right. Thanks for the input so far.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:24 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wanna quick trick... Poor some liquid horse power into your tank before the next big race.... I do believe that EFI has a distinct advantage in throttle response... But the LHP should provide a nice equalizer... We just received that product at our dealership... It makes other fuel additives I have tried pale in comparison... Give it a try.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:54 PM
beendad
Road Warrior

How is that stuff for your motor? I drop a few extra bucks at the end of winter on some race fuel for one tank, but I'm always concerned about burning too hot.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:23 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have baffles in your pipes ? if not you are leaving alot on the table also I would suggest a little more free breathing ac and get a dyno tune. if your looking for performance then a 2-1 exhaust is the way to go.,

Old 10-08-2007, 10:31 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swap bike's and race.

Looser buy steak dinners.

Tom

Old 10-09-2007, 12:48 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's one of your biggest limitations then (K&N inside the stock AC box). You have the potential for more air with the K&N filter but are limited because it is housed inside the stock airbox. You can only get as much air as will go through the little hole up front. Best advice is to invest in a new AC setup or for zero dollars, perform surgery on the stock airbox per ******'s mod: https://www.hdforums.com/m_1136090/tm.htm and reuse your K&N filter. If you go for a new AC setup, the SE AC will work with the K&N filter you have now. Else, there are a lot of good high flow aftermarket setups.

Give it more air, adjust the A/F ratio and jetting accordingly, and I'll bet you will find things are much more even between you guys.

Good luck.

ORIGINAL: sbarnes489

I just used a K&N and dropped it in the stock housing. I will look into that first of all. I know that I'm not the best rider in the world, but I did race MX for 12 years and that equals a lot of hole shots. I know how to drop the clutch and rev it out where it needs to be. I can take off way a head of him and he will still manage to catch, pass and pull away. I was just wondering if the new fuel injection was that much better than the carb'd engines. I don't know a whole lot about carbs, so I had it rejetted at the local shop here, so I know that it is done right. Thanks for the input so far.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:22 AM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The LHP has proven to be good for the engine and fuel system... You are supposed to add it when the tank is nearly empty and then fill immediately (add at the gas station).... It seems to be pretty good stuff... At least from what myself and other employees/customers have experienced.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:56 PM
dhc8guru
Tourer

Geez don't ever say a F.I. Harley is faster than a Carb model... the old timers will chew you a new one!