Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace ALL the Gaskets! *UPDATED*

Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replace ALL the Gaskets! *UPDATED*

This thread is about installing mufflers/pipes. Oh, and theperformance gain from installing them correctly.

Some of you may remember my interconnect gasket thread awhile back, but I've since made some more discoveries (along with my dad). First of all, whoever said to replace theexhaust portgaskets for the pipes was spot on.

After we installed the new SE mufflers (and air cleaner and Fuelpak), we noticed the bike ran better in lower rpms than it used to, but it was really rough in other areas where it wasn't before. We did replace the interconnect gaskets with new ones, used new muffler clamps, and tightened everything down to spec reguarding the mufflers. But, we failed to locate any exhaust leaks near the exhaust ports. We also failed to notice that the pipeswere looser than specs allow where they connect to the exhaust ports. They must have loosened when we removed the original stock slip-ons.

After riding the bike for a few weeks, we couldn't figure out why the bike was running more rough and why the "hunting/searching/surging" problem was even worse than stock. Well, my dad decided it might be a good idea to replace the exhaust portgaskets.

So, today I picked up some Screamin' Eagleexhaust portgaskets for the exhaust (which are of better quality / thicker than stock ones). My dad redid the whole exhaust by himself this afternoon with newexhaust portgaskets AND new interconnect gaskets, but he reused the muffler clamps (which were brand new from the previous installation anyway).

We both took it for a test ride. I think we must have had a leakat theexhaust portsbecause the bike runs MUCH better now. There must have been a lack of good backpressure or something.

Changing the gaskets near theexhaust portsand tightening it down to spec seems to have reduced or even removed the hunting/surging problem of fuel injection at certain rpms. Also, the bike runs much smoother and with more power (it's honestly noticeable) in every gear at every rpm.

So if you changed out your exhaust and didn't re-tighten the pipes at the exhaust ports, or suspect your gaskets may be smashed (like our stock gasketswere), give it a shot -- you may just increase your performance!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:37 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain
Default RE: Replace ALL the Gaskets!

Apparently no one has interest in this topic...bump?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:45 PM
machpilot
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no your right on....mine went through that same issue....i didnt need the cross over because i went with V&H SS but i definately changed the exhaust gaskets...i have no surging anymore...

Old 10-15-2007, 09:50 PM
slackwolf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, when my V&H shortshots came in, I picked up a set of SE exhaust gaskets rather than even fooling with the stock gasket. The rather brief installation guide to the pipes did mention to use the SE gaskets.

Either way, once I took the stock gasket out, they were pretty rough looking anyways. Had a good bit crushed into the exhaust port actually and was blocking part of the port. I would imagine if the exhaust flanges loosened up, it wouldn't take much for and exhaust leak with those stock gaskets considering how thin mine were squeezed....

Old 10-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info. You are fortunate to have you dad right there to help out.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:34 AM
King_of_the_Road
Advanced

Interesting, by rough do you mean chugging almost like the engine is lugging? I'm trying to hunt down my own gremlin on a stock '05. I've tried feeling around the exhaust ports (carefully) with the engine running but couldn't detect any puffing. The PCIII helped throttle response a great deal but the underlying rough running is still evident. Was there any streaking or discoloration near the bad gasket? I've shot WD-40 around the intake and I didn't notice any difference. Hmmm, something else to go look at.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:23 AM
jc_denton
Road Captain

Yeah, it wasrunning rough sort of like it was lugging, but it was at high enough rpms that it wasn't actually lugging (like 3,000). The secondsituation,the hunting/surging "problem," is only on EFI Sportsters, though. We couldn't feel anything by the exhaust ports either. I don't know if there's any streaking other than the normal blueing of the pipes from riding. Unfortunately, it's raining all day here today, so I can't take it out for a longer test ride...without getting soaked.[:'(] Guess I'll get some riding in whenever it becomesdry.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Trux
Cruiser

I didn't change the gaskets on mine and haven't had any problems. A service tech at the local dealer said that it wasnt absolutely necessary. I think its ok on my bike b/c I only have about 3000 miles on it so far.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:15 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Trux

I didn't change the gaskets on mine and haven't had any problems. A service tech at the local dealer said that it wasnt absolutely necessary. I think its ok on my bike b/c I only have about 3000 miles on it so far.
That's the thing, though. The "problem" I had wasn't really out of the ordinary, it was just more vibration. Also, what would mileage have anything to do with the exhaust ports leaking?

Old 10-16-2007, 05:49 PM
rebman76
Intermediate

I posted a month or so ago about my 07 1200c acting like it was lugging and also pinging when i got on the throttle in third through fifth gear. I had in the shop at the dealer twice for this problem also everyone here said i was just lugging the motor more promanate while riding 2 up dealer said its just one of those sportster noises while cleaning my harley the other day i found 3 out 4 flange nuts about to fall off this was just 340 miles after my service you know the one where they go over the whole bike with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything is tight(whatever).I changed the gaskets while i had my heatsheilds off anyway tightened everything to spec like having a better than new bike fixed so many issues that i didnt even realize could be fixed because the dam dealer said just another sportster issue like surging such a joy to ride now i hate even parking it at night.Off the subject but is there anyone in the western North Carolina area maybe interested in going for a putt sometime.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace ALL the Gaskets! *UPDATED*