Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driver backrest for our Sportsters?

Old 11-04-2007, 05:13 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts
Default driver backrest for our Sportsters?

Im looking to buy a 06 1200-C. I have a bad back that gives me a lot of trouble on rides 100 miles or more in a day. Dont matter if Im on a chair, or a bench, or any place I set down, if I dont have a backrest, Im in pain. I had this problem way back in the 70's when I was in high school. I have been looking at seats that have them for the Sportster. Looks like Mustang is the only one that makes them, but I would need to lay down around $725. includes seat and passenger pad.
Seems like to much $ for what I would get.
Any one know of a less expensive way to do this and still look o.k.?
On the bike I have now, I have a Sundowner seat that I love, but I still needsome kind ofbackrest. One time I had a sleeping bag roll tied down on the back of my seat and I could rest my back up to it 'man' thatfelt good on my back, but that was a one time thing. I dont want to drive around all the time with a sleeping bag.

Thanks for any advice you may have...

Old 11-04-2007, 05:27 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: driver backrest for our Sportsters?

I don't know anythng about a back rest for a Sortster but I own a 05 1200 C and I will caution you to be really sure that you know what you're doing wanting a Sportster while living with a bad back. It is the harshest, roughest riding bike of the entire Harley line. After you buy your seat and back rest you will probably be needing to replace your front and rear suspension.

Also the Sportster is not a very good two up bike if you're planning to do any riding with a passenger (I don't).

If you're already aware of what you're doing, fine. If not, give a serious look at the Dyna line-up.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Hidalgo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with what whapp said.

I ride mine a bunch, but it's mostly shorter rides, or else I get off and walk around every hour or so. I have a ruptured disc, and honestly I don't know how long me & the Sporty are going to live under the same roof.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:01 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at Corbin. They offer solos and duals with backrests.

http://www.corbin.com/harley/xl/

I have to echo the other comments. A Sportster will beat the c**p out of you.

I've found I'm more comfortable for distance riding if I'm on something with a standard or touring configuration where I can lean on the bars to rest my back. The typical cruiser setup where my hands are up and my feet are forward just puts too much stress on my back

Old 11-04-2007, 06:21 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

'whoap' and 'Hidalgo'

I have always loved Sportsters and I love the 2000 1200-C I have now. But Im going to a 06 for the rubber mount. I never ride 2-up. I have been on 2 Dynas and a 06 Road King Classic a lot of times. I still love my Sportster. Makes no difference how smooth it rides, with no backrest I wiil be in pain.
Im planing on getting Progressive shocks and front springs for my next Sporty, just for the ride, but it will do nothing for mr back problem.
Thanks for your advice anyway.
Any one else know of a backrest kit?...

Old 11-04-2007, 07:24 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have said, a good seat (I have a Sundowner) and Progressive suspension (my shocks are 13")will smooth out the ride a lot. As to backrests, Corbin makes the only one I know of. I also have 10" mini-apes adjusted to give me a staight-up riding position. Still not the greatest for long distance 2-up, but as a solo ride it's fantastic.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:33 PM
MJK
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Corbin does make a seat with a removable rider backrest, I have one.
I have never used the back rest so I can't give you any feedback on that part but I love the seat.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:43 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

I didn't know Corbin made them too. 'MJK' could you let me know how much your driver backrest seat cost? also you have never used it..how come?...
thanks...

Old 11-04-2007, 07:49 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a little company that makes a rider backrest. However, it will only fit 03 and earlier Sportsters. I think they are in the Carolinas(South?). A friend has one on his bike and really enjoys it. Drat the luck--they changed the frame in '04, so it won't fit my bike.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:56 PM
MJK
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the link to Corbin's website with the Sportster seats. http://www.corbin.com/harley/xl/

I don't have a backrest for it, I bought the seat off of Ebay and it didn't come with a backrest. I'm sure I will pick one up, just never got around to it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: driver backrest for our Sportsters?