Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using the "Reach" seat on thieir Sportster. Need input before purchasing!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:46 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Anyone using the "Reach" seat on thieir Sportster. Need input before purchasing!

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

I would like your input on this seat as to cushiness and seat height!

Comments please

Old 11-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Lamar07
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone using the "Reach" seat on thieir Sportster. Need input before purchasing!

put reach seat on 07 ultra rock hard hate it took off

Old 11-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anyone using the "Reach" seat on thieir Sportster. Need input before purchasing!

I like it much better than the stock seat, but I can't and won't compare it to the Sundowner. I was trying to research the Reach seat like you, and turned up nothing...so I said, "what the hell, just get the damn thing". So I did. Much better than stock, wider area for the butt, conforms to the butt better,about the same seat height as stock, and combined with the 11" Progressive shocks I put on, lowers the total seat height of my 2007 Low well enough. I have a 26" inseam, 28" leg length, and weigh 140 lbs. Forward controls. I certainly wouldn't compare the Reach seatgoing ontoa stock '07 Ultra with theReachseatgoing ontoa Sportster. The standard Ultra seat is already comfortable. The standard Sporty seat is NOT. It's a totally different ride, like the difference between a Ford Eclipse and a Lincoln Town Car.

Teek

[IMG]local://upfiles/32340/BF13899EF8B6410B8810F58FDB54FED4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never personally used the Sundowner, but the overwhelming consensus on this forum is that it's a GREAT seat! There are precious few on this forum that use the Reach seat (three that I know of, including ME!), but we all like it, as far as I know. I don't think it's as comfortable as the Sundowner, but if seat height is a primary concern then I will recommend the Reach. My main complaint of the stock seat is that it put undo pressure on the tailbone, and after a while, that gets pretty darn uncomfortable. The Reach doesn't have that complaint for me, and is perfect for ME. I like it a lot, and my butt thanks me. As a point of reference I have ridden the stock Sportster Low seat 330 miles in one day. That was a rental. It was also getting painfulto ride. I rode my stock seat you see in my avatar 200 miles in a day, and the seat was rideable...no pain, justannoying pressure on the tailbone.I rode the Reach seat about 200 miles in a day. No pressure on the tailbone, and a lot more comfy than stock. Better lower back support. I feel NO VIBRATION in either seat. The Reach is softer than the stock brick seat, but not cushy by any means. I has to remain firm to dampen the vibration and retain the low seat height of the stock configuration. Yes, it's better! Like I've said, it's the perfect seat for ME, and the price wasn't all that bad either, considering the price of a Mustang or Corbin (which are not known to be "cushy" either). I ride quite a bit, too, but I just haven't had an opportunity to take it out on long trips much.

Bottom line: I can't say it's the best seat for your particular needs, but I don't think you will be disappointed in it over the stock setup.

Teek

Old 11-06-2007, 06:07 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife rides a 2007 1200L, we tried 2 different Sundowner seats, we wanted to make sure one was not a reject has it had a weird feel to the seat. The Sundowner is comfortable, EXCEPT, it pushed her forward way too much and it raised her up to much. So, since the2007 1200Ls have just a couple options, I have ordered her the solo reach seat & the passenger pallion. I will be putting it on tommorrow and pray. As my wife has made it very clear that the stock seat has got to go. She has made a couple long rides 250-300 miles, but says it is just about more than her butt, back, and legs can handle. I will let you all know.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:45 PM
fasthorse
Cruiser

Got a Sundowner and a HD solo reach. Right now the solo reach is on my 1200c. I love the look. It puts my legs closer together thus I feel more stable at stops. Yes, its not a comfortable as the Sundowner. But my reach is pretty new and not fully broken in yet. Some say after there fully broken in, no problems with comfort. Didn't bother me right out of the box, I love mine and the look.

It's only money go for it.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:17 AM
humpbackbob
Cruiser

Tried the solo reach. returned it to dealer.It looked YUK. Changed it for the Brawler Solo. I have seen the Sundowner on a couple of Sporty's. I understand it is very comfortable, but looks "top heavy". My 2 cents.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:54 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Harley seats are cr$pI have tried several differant seats on three differant bikes. Get a Mustang if you want comfort.