Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring on a Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Touring on a Sportster

My best buddy and myself are planning a ride from Connecticut to the Florida Keys the first week in March. Its around 3000 miles total. My buddy has a 2007 Screaming Eagle SpringerSofttail and I have a fairly tricked out 1988 Sportster. My bike only has 12K miles on it with around 5K since the motor was completely redone. We usually take long rides. The longest so far was down to S. Philly for Cheese steaks. We came back the same day. It was around 400+ miles. We have also ridden up to Mass which was round 350 miles. Neither of us have any problems with the long rides. We both put about 5K on our bikes this season which was about 5 months total.
Anyway... how many riders here take the LONG rides on bikes that are not typically known as touring bikes?
Also.. any suggestions would be mucho helpful. We are trying to get a chase vehicle with a 2 bike trailerto follow us but that might not work out.
We already have a GPS, we are getting 2 way radio's, I am using a sissy bar full bag and saddle bags. My buddy has large saddle bags on his bike. I am completely overhauling my 1988 and I plan on taking it to my local HD shop to get the once over when I am done.
We plan on taking a tire plug kit, tools, a plug in compressor, a roll up tool kit, some zip ties, ducttape, extra synth, extra clothes and rain gear,extra headlight and marker bulbs, spark plugs and we are mapping the entire trip out on the GPS along with a paper hard copy incase the GPS craps out.
I am an AAA member but I was thinking I should join HOG or some other service too.

Also... I have only been riding for a year and although I have logged over 5K miles this season.. I still consider myself a new rider. I have also done a ton of 2 up riding on my sporty with my wife.
One thing I have never done is ride in a torrential downpour. I have been caught in sprinkles but never in a monsoon. Any suggestions regarding that would be helpful too.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Chad1200
Road Master
Received 250 Likes on 159 Posts
Default RE: Touring on a Sportster

I did 3000 km in 4 days last July on my 1200 Custom with the stock seat. Regina, SK to Kelowna, BC and back. Great ride...no problems at all.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

in heavy rain, look for an overpass or a gas station you can hide in till it's over, the spray from those 18wheelers can be deadly. Sounds like you got all the bases covered, although, you might want to take a tarp incase you want to take a nap along the way at night. (been there, done that)make sure the cell is fully charged and stored where it won't get wet, a ziploc does nicely. Let us know how things go and don't forget the pics.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 PM
jaktexas
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you staying at hotels, i didn't see a tent on your list? Good luck,ride safe.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:49 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate them, but a full face helmet is good when riding in the rain. Rainsuit and boot gators also. Mostly though, the full face helmet. Freekin rain hurts when it hits your face at 75mph. In a HEAVY rain, like was mentioned, find a place to wait until it at least slacks off a bit.

A handy tip for long trips is to pack up the stuff you will need during your visit and send it UPS to the hotel, or residence where you will be staying. That way you only have to carry what you need for the travel time on the bike. Then when you're ready to return, pack the stuff back up, along with purchased items, and ship it back home.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

taking a tire plug kit, tools, a plug in compressor,
Sounds like you are all set.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:20 PM
gmerr2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've taken 1,000+ trips twice on my Sportster....it was awesome! Once with my son to Charleston, SC...up the coast fora week, then back here to Chattanooga last spring...then in the fall I went to Jackson and Vicksburg, MS and back. I can't wait for spring break this year...me and the boy are going to Wilmington, NC to visit some friends for a couple days...then we're gonna ride northward for the week to get him back home to Syracuse. =-) We can't wait!!

Rev. George.....Chattanooga, Tn

Old 01-17-2008, 02:36 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my 1200C on ebay about 2 years ago and flew from Tucson to Cookeville, Tn. to get it. 1700 miles to bring it back to Tucson. Two of the days were 10 hour days. I have Harley leather bags, quick detach windshield and I tie an additional bag to the passenger seat and mini-sissy bar. The bike is capableof doing'anything' so long as you're capable.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,341 Posts

My wife put over 6K miles on her bike between the dealer and home. She's put right at 50K on it, almost all touring. Just pack up and have a good time.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:34 PM
valveguide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure , 900 in a day a few times now.

I like to put a sleeping bag on for my back. Cheap backrest ...

Quick Reply: Touring on a Sportster