Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHANGE OILS ON A SPORTY 883

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Spanish Flyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHANGE OILS ON A SPORTY 883

Hi guys, I come from the Dyna page and I need your help; My son has to change all engine oils on a 2007 Sportster 883 and needs to know how to empty the oil and what is the procedure to fill and know how far to fill. Is there any website with pics that clearly shows the whole procedure?

Thank You,

Spanish Flyer

Old 01-22-2008, 02:01 PM
BLKXL12C
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CHANGE OILS ON A SPORTY 883

Under the bike you will see a hose that has a plactic clip holding it to the frame, that is the drain hose. Remove the plug in the hose to drain.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:05 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If he got the owners manual with his bike it is explained in there.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:19 PM
WVICEMAN
Road Captain

Warm the bike up to thin the oil. Under the bike you will see a hose that has a plactic clip holding it to the frame, that is the drain hose. Remove the plug in the hose to drain. Open the filler cap to make it drain faster. After oil stops draining loosen the oil filter and you can use something like a liter plasic bottle with it cut to keep the oil off your engine and frame just slide it under the filter while you are taking the filter off. After all oil is drained put the plug back into the oil drain hose and put four ounces of oil in the filter and put it on hand tight and then a quarter of a turn with a filter wrench. Put the remaining oil from three quarts minus the four ounces you put into the filter in the fill hole. Start the bike let it circulate and then after shut down remove the drain plug and let a little oil drain to let any air bubbles escape. All if I have missed anything or if you have something to add to the comments please do so.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Spanish Flyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys,

gave the info to my son and he will change the oil tomorrow. I gues that a 20W50 will be just fine. By the way, this bike runs with only one oil type and all engine parts are comunicated, so you use the same oil in the engine, gearbox and primary drive....I have a Dyna and it has three different oils; one for the engine, one for the gearbox and one for the primary drive.... I guess that does not aply to the Sportster.

Thanks again,
Spanish Flyer

Old 01-22-2008, 02:58 PM
BLKXL12C
Road Master

Use Mobil1 20W50 in the engine and mobil1 gear oil in the gear

Old 01-22-2008, 03:36 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

ORIGINAL: WVICEMAN

remove the drain plug and let a little oil drain to let any air bubbles escape.
I have never done this part, is it necessary?

Old 01-22-2008, 03:41 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: HOTLAP

ORIGINAL: WVICEMAN

remove the drain plug and let a little oil drain to let any air bubbles escape.
I have never done this part, is it necessary?
I do this on the Sportsters....

After filling with oil I'll loosen the line and let the system 'burp out' any air....

And I actually go one step further, as I'll start the engine and let it run for a minute or so, turn it off, and then loosen the line and let the air out again... You would probably be surprised how much air gets trapped in the system.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How does air get trapped in the system??????????????? The tank is there, soI would think air would disipate in the tank andthe crankcase has venting into the carb. Plus looking at the Oil system diagram, I would believe any air would migrate thru the passages to the tank, seeing as the tank is the highest point in the Oil system.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Here isa recentthread covering Sportster oil change. We even discussed the oil pump cavitation due to leaving air in the system.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2709435/tm.htm

The engine oil (20w50) goes in theENGINE only!! The oil bag under the right side of the seat is engine oil.

Sportsters have a seperate transmission lubricant, NOT 20w50 motor oil!! This is poured into the tranny thru the 4" cover on the left side by removing the cover and watching the level relative to the starter gear. Tranny is a whole other monster which you should buy the manual for. It requires a T27 torx driver and an inch pound torque wrench.

ps: tranny & primary are the same fluid, not engine oil tho!

Quick Reply: CHANGE OILS ON A SPORTY 883