Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Adjustment

Old 02-13-2008, 11:53 AM
mrb302
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Idle Adjustment

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

ORIGINAL: mrb302

I don't know for 100%, but the FI bikes *should* have a very similar set-up to adjust idle speed. The FI version *should* simply open/close the butterfly in the throttle body to change the speed. The fuel mix *should* be automatically compensated for by the FI system.
Not usless the EFI setup on the Sportster is completely different than that on the Big Twins....

Changing the idle speed on the BT EFI systems requires that you modify/remap the ECU program, which can be done using a scanalyzer tool, SERT, 'reflash', etc....

On the carb'd bike it's a simple matter of turning an adjustment screw.

Really!?!?

How does the system meter the incoming air charge? There has to be a butterfly or something mechanical that the throttle controls, right?

Old 02-13-2008, 12:06 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Really!?!?

How does the system meter the incoming air charge? There has to be a butterfly or something mechanical that the throttle controls, right?
How does the 'enrichener system/choke' work on a EFI engine?

"Something" must tell it how to work....

No choke **** that I've seen, so the choke function (much like the idle speed and A/F mixture) must be part of the ECU mapping.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:18 PM
dhc8guru
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does a thread about tuning an F.I. bikes idle turn into tuning the idle on a carb?

Old 02-13-2008, 12:42 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at the second post. Then read the whole thread. The original topic was not lost at all.. actually we are helping two people at once. That's how we roll.. Besides, it's my self-appointed duty to monitor topic flow...stop steppin on my toes man! [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 02-13-2008, 02:41 PM
mrb302
Road Master

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Really!?!?

How does the 'enrichener system/choke' work on a EFI engine?

"Something" must tell it how to work....

No choke **** that I've seen, so the choke function (much like the idle speed and A/F mixture) must be part of the ECU mapping.

On a car the "enrichner/choke" is a function of fuel injector pulse width. The idle speed is set by a screw on the bottom of the throttle body where the throttle cables connect (thus controlling a butterfly). They also use an eletronic solenoid to control an idle air bypass valve to regulate and smooth the idle. New FI set-up use only an electric motor to control the butterfly (instead of cables). Does the HD fuel injection use an electric motor to meter air?

Old 02-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Sail and Ride
Tourer

Jeez, I love this forum! Theeffort expended by those who respondedwas truly astounding! Thanks to everyone!!! BTW, I wished I had asked how to open the reserve on the 3.3 tank before I needed it. I foolishly assumed it would be like, well, any other bike I'd ridden, but they were all UJMs. Who'd'a thunk on a Harley you have to turn the lever, not 90 degrees forward, but 180 degreesto the inverse vertical. The rush-hourSo. Cal. freeway is nerve-racking enough without running out of gas in the car pool lane and having to slooooowlly work your way to the right shoulder as the bike comes to a complete stop in the #3 lane on a four-lane stretch. Good thing I just tried turning the lever every which way and found the secret!! Thanks again to all!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 05:16 PM
CMC
Road Captain

I know that it is a crappy cell phone pic, but... here goes.

In the pic you will see the black top cover of the carb on the left. The gold colored screw in the center of the pic is the idle adjustment screw. It is located on the linkage that connects the throttle and idle cables from the throttle to the carb. This will adjust your idle SPEED, not mixture. On my bike, it can be seen with the air cleaner on, but with a factory or other large AC you may have to remove the cover to see it.

I don't know for 100%, but the FI bikes *should* have a very similar set-up to adjust idle speed. The FI version *should* simply open/close the butterfly in the throttle body to change the speed. The fuel mix *should* be automatically compensated for by the FI system.

[IMG]local://upfiles/39638/7D7EACCFAD6D4E7DA13F45EBF0C76F8B.jpg[/IMG]
Thanks. This was all waaaaay over my head until your post.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:14 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, did this thread get highjacked
then again alot of GOOD info there[sm=chattypair.gif]

Old 02-13-2008, 07:36 PM
mrb302
Road Master

ORIGINAL: RATROD HOG

Man, did this thread get highjacked
then again alot of GOOD info there[sm=chattypair.gif]
GUILTY!!!!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/39638/1BFCADD23CE54E879940118BDC983267.gif[/IMG]

Old 02-14-2008, 05:41 PM
twotake
Stage II

This Forum is rediculous.

I had one little problem with my idle this morning, came here to look for a little help and walk away a very educated man.

thanks to all who replied and advised. Good work.

-j-

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idle Adjustment