Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S.E. Performance Spark Plug Wires ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 03:18 PM
PatrickEconomos
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S.E. Performance Spark Plug Wires ???

Hello !!
Have any of you changed your stock plug wires for Screaming Eagle Performance Spark Plug Wires on your 2007 Sportster ???
I just bought a pair of them (P/N 31956-04) and it seems the stock cable is MUCH more shorter than the new one... Is that normal ? Do I just have to hide it to make it look shorter?
Thanks in advance!!!
Patrick

Old 02-12-2008, 03:26 PM
BLKXL12C
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: S.E. Performance Spark Plug Wires ???

The SE wire are made to fit other bikes as well as yours, the stock wires are for your bike.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:33 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

The P/N you listed is correct for 04 & up Orange Sportster wires. Other model bikes, earlier Sporties & BT's, use different P/N's. How much longer are they than the stock wires?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:54 PM
PatrickEconomos
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: cHarley

The P/N you listed is correct for 04 & up Orange Sportster wires. Other model bikes, earlier Sporties & BT's, use different P/N's. How much longer are they than the stock wires?
Thanks for your help!!!
Well, one of my 2 stock wires seems almost HALF the lenght of the S.E. Wires... [:@]
Patrick

Old 02-12-2008, 04:23 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Don't know about the SE wires but some performance wires for cars you can unscrew one or the other ends and cut the wire then screw the end back on.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:22 PM
mikebolt
6th Gear

you may wanna see if they even fit. i bought a set of orange ones just for a little color difference, and the connectors on them wouldn't even fit on my bike, an 07 also. i took them back to the stealer and got my money back. i have heard other people complaining about it also.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:23 PM
PatrickEconomos
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: mikebolt

you may wanna see if they even fit. i bought a set of orange ones just for a little color difference, and the connectors on them wouldn't even fit on my bike, an 07 also. i took them back to the stealer and got my money back. i have heard other people complaining about it also.
I will ask my stealer about that too!! (I also bought mines mostly for cosmetic purposes... Orange too!).
Thanks,
Patrick

Old 02-12-2008, 08:59 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Double check your kit. The SE wires should be the same length (roughly 19.5"). If they aren't, take them back.

On that note, the SE wires, assuming you have the right part no, are specific to the models they say they fit. These are not universal kits liks some of the Accel kits you can get for cars, etc. The SE wires are not supposed to be cut and crimp, they are made to the right lengths. I want to be clear on that because although they aren't that expensive, you'd be wasting your money if you bought a set and then started cutting them.

Now, if your stock wires are different lengths, it's likely they were routed differently than the SE wires will route. The SE wires should go together from the coil under the front of the tank to just between the cylinders and over the intake manifold. Then they make a 90 degree turn toward the left side of the bike and then split to go to each plug. Since the go the same distance, they are the same length. 180 degree (straight) ends go on the coil and the 90 degree ends go on the plugs.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:07 PM
PatrickEconomos
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: bensonjv

Double check your kit. The SE wires should be the same length (roughly 19.5"). If they aren't, take them back.

On that note, the SE wires, assuming you have the right part no, are specific to the models they say they fit. These are not universal kits liks some of the Accel kits you can get for cars, etc. The SE wires are not supposed to be cut and crimp, they are made to the right lengths. I want to be clear on that because although they aren't that expensive, you'd be wasting your money if you bought a set and then started cutting them.

Now, if your stock wires are different lengths, it's likely they were routed differently than the SE wires will route. The SE wires should go together from the coil under the front of the tank to just between the cylinders and over the intake manifold. Then they make a 90 degree turn toward the left side of the bike and then split to go to each plug. Since the go the same distance, they are the same length. 180 degree (straight) ends go on the coil and the 90 degree ends go on the plugs.
Hi Bensonjv,
Yes, both the SE Wires are the SAME lenght you say, not the stock wires. I think I will route them as you said... Do you have any picture that illustrates that??? Thanks again!
Patrick

Old 02-13-2008, 01:09 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think I have a picture, sorry. I know that on mine, the wires came back along the right side of the throttle cables and then behind them as they made the left toward the plugs. All my descriptions assume you are sitting on the bike looking down at the tank and jugs. There's not necessarily a "wrong" way to route them except to try to avoid direct contact with the jugs or other hot stuff. And of course you don't want to run the wires as a twisted pair. Parallel is ok, twisted around each other isn't. I reused the black plastic sleeves where the wires routed back from the coil. That kept them from having an direct contact with hot parts.

Quick Reply: S.E. Performance Spark Plug Wires ???