Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best lift/jack to fit sportster?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:14 AM
bmkshort
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best lift/jack to fit sportster?

I bought the cheap $59 red one from Pep Boys. Works great with no mods.
I tried using the $150 yellow one from Sears and even though its heavier duty,
I didn't like the fact I would have to use spacers to use it. It worked perfectly
on my bud's Softail though.

Btw, mine looks identical, except for the color, to the photo of chornbe's jack

Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

ORIGINAL: bigtop1

biker trash: your wheels are still planted with that lift from harbor freight. How do you get around that. Where do you substantiate the need and use for this one unless you are in the repair business?
I just hate payingfor high labor charges (or seeing my friends pay for them) when I know I can do the work myself with the proper tools.
The rear wheel area has a panel that drops out for servicingtires, The front is easy enough to lift using a floor jack and a block of wood when the bike is tied down to the lift table. Seen it done a million times at the local indy.
Asfar as the need for it, I have bad kneesand a bad back (I am an ex automotive tech) and cannot stand to be bent over for too long. I hate to sit on buckets orstools while working on things because of the wastedtime(and knee pain) getting up to get and put awaytools.
Ihave the room for it and love the idea of having that convienience in my owngarage. I have plenty of friends and relatives who need their bikes worked on as well. And I'm sure my 5hp 21 gallon air compressor will run it just fine.
The idea of doing bike service as a sideline for extra cash has crossed my mind a few times.I'll probably end up doing it for people from time to time. Those are the reasons I see it as a necessity and will purchase one in the near future.

Hey Biker trash,

Check into a scissor jack from a car, weld a small plate to it and whalla. A nice jack for using on a lift.

The lifts are nice for just about anything! I had mine up just doing some cleaning last night, makes it real easy to get to stuff that would normally be a pain in the *** or knee's as the case maybe.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the red one from Sears because it was on sale for $34.99 last summer. The FXD is fine w/wood adapter blocks, but the Nightster has to have a ramp - only needs another inch of clearance. Just make a cheap one out of 2x4s or whatever. Roll it up the ramp, and the jack fits fine. Just couldn't pass up the savings vs. a more expensive jack.

ADDED: Just looked at some of the more professional equipt and the JS product - SWEET! If I was working on my bikes more often I'd want one of these for sure!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 PM
hogsport
Road Master

"Big Red" jack from Pep Boys, couldn't resist the $39 after rebate sale. Works great, I use it to "park" the sporty in a tight space in the garage. these seem to have some problems blowing seals if jacked up too high though.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:03 PM
indyjeff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated before, the Sears m/c jacks do not line up with the frame without some mods.

When I clean the wheels or service the bike, I use a standard auto floor jack while the bike is strapped toboth sides of the garage. So far, so good! I'll admit, I am a little nervous and cautious while doing so.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Djstorm100
Advanced

This is the kind of lift I have.. Love it. My dad actually bought it.. Just so he doesnt have to bend down to clean his bike haha I on the other hand use it to work on them.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

J & S
We have 2 of them. Been wrenching for over 40 yrs total. By far the best bang for the buck I have spent. And have tried many over the years. I spend alot of $$ and time building my bikes. I am not going tohave one fall off a jack cause I wanted to savea few bucks. And I wouldn't want yours to fall off if you were here changing a tire, or working onyours in the grudge.
They are built by a couple of bike riding brothers, for bike riders.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:05 PM
jjtroutbum
Tourer

Using the search feature I found this topic. any new jacks or lifts I might want to know about ?

Old 08-01-2012, 02:23 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

This one from HF will fit under any bike that has 1-3/4" clearance...

Old 08-01-2012, 03:28 PM
HarleyGyrene
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on how much room you have and what you want to do with it. I used a CHEAP ATV jack for years (POS) and just got my J&S yesterday ! Damn, the bike is stable on that thing. Used to have to put jack stands under the frame (4 of 'em) just to get it steady: not anymore !! Wished I had bought it a long time ago...

If I had the room and the bucks it would be a lift, but this is WAY better than what I have used for the past 20 years !!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best lift/jack to fit sportster?