Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help..... Low end miss

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:33 AM
XLCruise
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help..... Low end miss

I'm not mechanically inclined at all and I need some advice. My 883 has been rejetted and has a Pro Kit in the carb. I have Samson drag pipes. The bike has a terrible miss in it most noticeably in 3rd gear around 31 or 32 MPH. I also can't idle , like say thru a parking lot because the bike kinda lunges. The shop I took it to put a 45 jet in the mid range the first time, then changed it to a 44 which made it start coughing through the air breather again. Now they act stumped. They say it might be the harley shop that put the pro kit in the carb may have drilled a hole too big. I talked to a guy the other day that told me to tell them to quit fighting the carb, and put some performance rings or torque cones in the pipes for some air reversion. Anyone agree with the fella that told me the miss is being caused by straight drag pipes with no reversion? Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 01-31-2006, 12:02 PM
burnie
Tourer
Default RE: Help..... Low end miss

EDIT: Sorry, I responded to the wrong thread.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

Straight pipes are not your best bet for performance, especially on the newer bikes. It sounds like your low speed jet may be to small. Your mid range jet should not affect your idle. It could be a number of things but one thing for sure. It's going to take a compitant mechanic to fix it.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:05 PM
883 custom
2nd Gear

I would put the 45 slow jet back in for starters. Turn your idle mixture screw out to 2 1/2 turns out and try it there. The drag pipes won't make it miss but will lose a lot of low end torque. Forget the what the one guy said about performance rings, thats crazy even suggesting that. The torque cones would help some but not a cure. Have you checked the plugs? Take it out for a normal run then shut it down right after the run. Pull the plugs and if they are white you are lean. You want a little color on your plugs.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:14 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The plug reading is misleading because of the additives in gas to make it burn cleaner for todays EPA standards. Forget reading plugs. THE exception to this is blistered porcelin, that is lean, but that will show up before you can read plugs if it is that lean. The lurching is or could be the tension on the primary chain, especially on a new bike as the chain tends to stretch from "new". The 45 jet being back in is the first place to start as suggested, at the same time check the primary chain free play. The pipes most deffinantly took away the low end torque, that with the ildeing through the parking lot thing and the 31-32 mph in 3rd is from to "low speed. in to high a gear". The 883 loves higher rpm and hates lugging(to slow a speed in what ever gear) Shift point from 3rd gear to 4th gear on a factory stock 883 is 35 mph, mine likes 40mph, the Dealer where I bought mine told me, to keep the revs up, it had a rev limiter on it so I wasn't going to hurt it by over reving, that the 883 was damaged more and fouled more plugs from lugging than any other reason. One word of advice, if you are not mechanically inclined, find a shop that you can trust, check with friends that have bikes or stick to the dealer for work or repairs. And the best advice I can give you is, if you are going to own a motorcycle and modify it at all, or keep it for very long, spend some of your "goodies" money on a Repair Manual from HD. At least you can read through it and know what the "wizards" are talking about. The next 50 bucks you spend should be on a Manual!

Old 02-01-2006, 03:19 AM
XLCruise
Advanced

Thank you for the replies. I had the 45 jet put back in it today and it doesn't cough or whatever you call it through the air breather now except when it's cold. Thanks for the info about lugging it. I was trying to keep it in a higher gear because I get off work at 10:00 P.M. at night and have to ride through a quiet residential section to get home.[sm=smiley6.gif]. These Samsons are very loud, so I try to be courteous to the neighborhood and hope the local police will not get any calls on me for excessive noise. But I still didn't know I would harm it by not keeping it wound up a little more.After reading the advice, I'm convinced that I need to take it to the dealer and see what they say about it. Closest Harley dealer is 80 miles from here, but will probably get to the heart of the problem, so thats where I'll take it now.