Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring on a Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:17 PM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Touring on a Sportster

[quote]ORIGINAL: chornbe

Sorry, dude. That's not touring. That's trailering and home-basing.

It won't come apart. Learn to love the revs and the vibes. Or get the right tool for the job if you feel the Sportie isn't it.

I'm actually considering taking my Sportster on my cross-country trip in May rather than the Street Glide. I'll be riding with a bunch of guys on Sport Tourers and I can rail this sportster in the twisties better than the 'Glide will do ( you guys should really do the suspension and dual-disc brakes!! ). We have a ball in the twisties. We'll be doing ~6600 miles between Portland OR and south, then east across all the goodness that the southwest and canyon country have to offer, then across to the smokies and home.

ORIGINAL: jgcable

I just came back from Daytona Bikeweek 2008. I live in Connecticut. I went with 3 buddies. We trailered our bikes down to Merritt Island which is 60 miles from Daytona. We went to Daytona every day and we also drove our bikes to Key West which was approx 7 hours each way.
We put 1500 miles on our bikes in the 7 days of riding we had. We had nice weather days. We had 40mph wind days, and we got caught in a monsoon for 60 miles on the way to the Keys.

I have a 1988 Sporty with a 1200 conversion in it. It was dyno'd in Daytona at 74hp. It has the Johnson Engine Technology Stage 2.5 upgrade done to it, a Mikuni 42mm and V&H Straightshots. It is a 4 speed with a chain drive. It has new tires and kevlar brake pads.I have saddle bags on it, a sissy bar with a t-bag, and Dyna Wideglide handlebars. It has a fatbob tank and its painted extreme green which is my favorite color. Besides that... its just a run of the mill 1200 conversion.
My buddies drive the following...
2007 Screaming Eagle Springer Softail
2006 Fatboy
1998 Softail Custom that is highly modified and customized.

Here are my observations regarding touring in Floridawith a Sportster...

When you are traveling on highways with a 70mph speed limit everybody is doing at least 80. Most are doing 85. The big bikes with 6 speeds have no problem cruising for an hour at 85mph. My bike sounded like a combination of a bomb and 2 giant coffee cans full of rocks. The vibration was incredible. I just couldn't maintain those speeds or that long. I cruised at 72 and met them at the designated stops. It was pretty stressfull though because they always had to wait for me.
40mph crosswinds are not what you want to be in on a small bike. A nice Fatboy or touring bike would be a better choice.
The small tank on a Sportster.. (mine has a3.9 gallon Fatbob tank on it) still isn't enough for touring considering I only get 45mpg and my tank has a 1 gallon reserve. A nice 5-6 gallon tank with a fuel gauge is a better choice.

Because the roads are mainly flat in Florida coupled with the high winds and the high speed limit.. a Sportster has really no advantage and many disadvantages.
When I got home from the trip I instantly wanted to sell my "small bike" and buy something like a Heritage Softail or a Street Glide. Now that I have been home a few days I noticed all the twisties around Connecticut and the fact that most of my riding around here is approx 300 miles a week in the backroads.. I am all good with my Sportster.

Regarding Bikeweek.... it was crazy. I didn't notice very many Sportsters there. I would say that 95% of the bikes there were big twins, custom choppers and touring bikes. Most of the guys I talked to were stunned that I put 1500 miles on my Sportster in Floridaand drove it 7 hours to Key West. Oh yea.. one more thing... every biker in Florida referred to my bike as either a chick bike, a little lady or a peanut. Thats cool with me... my dyno paper shows my little lady is putting out 74hp at the rear wheel. I just love the darn thing and have already put 7000 miles on it since I got it the middle of last season!!!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:25 PM
jgcable
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Yellotang

My wife rode her sporty 90 mph from Washington state to Sturgis last year. 883c.

1100 miles each way. No problem.

What was the point of the thread?
[align=left][/align]
I call BS on this one. No chance did your wife do that unless she is the bionic woman.
90mph on an 883c is fun for a mile or 2 and grueling after that. Nobody.. man or woman... is riding 2200 miles on a sportster at 90+mph. Maybe you should contact Guiness.

Oh yea.. the point of this thread is me making my observations regarding ridingmy sportster in Florida. Many Sportster riders ride their bikes locally. You rarely see Sportsters with saddlebags and T-bags around here. You also don't see people putting 6000+ miles a season on their Sportys in Connecticut where we only have a 7 month tops season. I considered my trip a mini tour. I put 1500 miles on it in 6 days and experienced winds, monsoon rains, high temperatures and one of my trips was 7 hours each way. I figured riders here would appreciate my comments. Obviously you don't.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:27 PM
jgcable
Road Master

ORIGINAL: RATROD HOG

well your three buddies left you in the dust,thats WRONG man
Ya, I just caught that as well. Who the hell would leave their buddy behind because they go too slow. That is just wrong.
Yea.. I am with you on this one. It sucked being left behind constantly. Especially when it was really late at night in the expressway. It is wrong.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife rode her sporty 90 mph from Washington state to Sturgis last year. 883c.

[align=left][/align]
I call BS on this one. No chance did your wife do that unless she is the bionic woman.
90mph on an 883c is fun for a mile or 2 and grueling after that. Nobody.. man or woman... is riding 2200 miles on a sportster at 90+mph. Maybe you should contact Guiness.

Oh yea.. the point of this thread is me making my observations regarding ridingmy sportster in Florida. Many Sportster riders ride their bikes locally. You rarely see Sportsters with saddlebags and T-bags around here. You also don't see people putting 6000+ miles a season on their Sportys in Connecticut where we only have a 7 month tops season. I considered my trip a mini tour. I put 1500 miles on it in 6 days and experienced winds, monsoon rains, high temperatures and one of my trips was 7 hours each way. I figured riders here would appreciate my comments. Obviously you don't.
Wow, your brave for calling me a lier #1 and then stating that my wife didn't do that #2. Ask Dynamike, he was witness to it.

I also have pictures.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:41 PM
jgcable
Road Master

[align=left][/align]

Wow, your brave for calling me a lier #1 and then stating that my wife didn't do that #2. Ask Dynamike, he was witness to it.

I also have pictures.
I am brave. At least you got that right.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 03-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Werbeck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a good trip report, thanks for the post. Sounds like it would have been a better trip though if you rode with other Sportster riders instead of tools who couldn't back it off to 70-75 MPH.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19046/B0D0080C84144740B90B11A07AB67F2B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-14-2008, 07:59 PM
kerbykk
Road Captain

a picture is worth a thousand words,looks like an apology would be in order?

Old 03-14-2008, 08:11 PM
riverman
Cruiser

This is not a competition so no wagering.
Bottom line is ride how you like. Enjoy it. I was interested in knowing about your Fl run because I have some friends that plan to run to the keys in June. If I go, it will be on my sporty. Straight highway does get kind of boring after a while. First time I went to sturgis two years ago it was on my stock 883. I was with a RK, a wing, and a Valkyrie (or however you spell it). We ran 80-85 in some stretches but most of the time we ran around 75. No rain, but a lot of wind in Dakota. The boys on the big bikes did not seem to be any less fatigued than I was. My bike was getting about 60 miles per gallonso even with a small tank I fueled less than they did. It was 900 miles each way and we split it over two days. At no time did anyone run off and leave the rest. Touring on a sport, even at 90, is fine. But if you would prefer to use different equipment, get different equipment.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:35 PM
jgcable
Road Master

ORIGINAL: riverman

This is not a competition so no wagering.
Bottom line is ride how you like. Enjoy it. I was interested in knowing about your Fl run because I have some friends that plan to run to the keys in June. If I go, it will be on my sporty. Straight highway does get kind of boring after a while. First time I went to sturgis two years ago it was on my stock 883. I was with a RK, a wing, and a Valkyrie (or however you spell it). We ran 80-85 in some stretches but most of the time we ran around 75. No rain, but a lot of wind in Dakota. The boys on the big bikes did not seem to be any less fatigued than I was. My bike was getting about 60 miles per gallonso even with a small tank I fueled less than they did. It was 900 miles each way and we split it over two days. At no time did anyone run off and leave the rest. Touring on a sport, even at 90, is fine. But if you would prefer to use different equipment, get different equipment.
My suggestion on your Key West run is to to bring sunscreen!! It is a very flat and very straight boring run until you get to the bridges. Then, the scenery is outstanding. It is quite windy though. We had crosswinds of 40mph and at some points I was doing the serious body lean to get the bike to go straight. The speed limit once you start island hopping is 45 and 55.
It was a nice experience but not one I would do again on a bike. One nice feature about the Keys... the girl to guy ration was 14-1. At timesI felt like I was in a lesbian bar. Girls everywhere and they all wanta ride.

Quick Reply: Touring on a Sportster