Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm about ready to shoot my 99 Sportster...or Help, I can't start it..

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:24 PM
50 Freak
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I'm about ready to shoot my 99 Sportster...or Help, I can't start it..

Thanks Keith, I will give it a try.....

By the way guys, Pennisula Harley in Redwood City had no idea what a VOES was when I called to order parts....Makes you wonder just who is working on your bikes.....just my 02 cents.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:35 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: I'm about ready to shoot my 99 Sportster...or Help, I can't start it..

Screw the dealer.....take them part number like I had to do....turned out they had two on the shelf but didn't know what I was talking about.....you can read part number off my pic(HD 26558-94A)

First find yours and compare before you buy......Mine turned out to be latestest rev.....that's why part number has "A" on tail end.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,341 Posts

I dunno what you mean by "older bikes", Keith, but my 86 and 87 both have a VOES.

Check for spark when it isn't starting. Then pull air cleaner, squirt some starting fluid in and crank it. Start briefly? -> Gas/carb issue.

I'd say you probably screwed something simple up with your mods, if'n I wuz to guess. Let's try getting a proper diagnosis before we throw more parts at it.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:56 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

Ok, for you guys who have a properly working VOES, but want to tweek it, here is a pic of the hidden adjustment screw.

Why would you want to tweek it?...Simple, it determines when to advance/retard timing.....Usually full advance is all in around 27 or 2800 rpm, but if you've modified compression or want to shift your power band, then you need to tweek your VOES setting.....This can only be done with a decent meter and vac gage.

The hidden screw is sealed beneath a silicon plug.....just dig out the plug and ten reseal with fresh sealant once adjusted.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:00 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

DR. Hess, I dunno what year it was incorporated, but it's pretty obivous it can't work with old style points, huh?

Re-read the whole post and you will see he has already tested/replaced everything that generates spark...he's gettin spark and fuel but his spark timing is off and it is not due to static timing, it is due to faulty VOES.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:19 PM
50 Freak
6th Gear

FYI for others if they ever have this same problem.

Replaced the VOES, still the same problem. The last thing that is replaceable...the ignition module was replaced and that took care of the problem.

In summary...bike would not start consistantly. When it would start, it would run fantastically. However, getting it started was a problem. Would backfire (like gunshot loud) with flames shooting out the pipe. Replaced carb, plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, voes switch. It still had the problem. The mechanic (third one as the first two could not diagnose the problem) said that bike was thinking that it was in run mode and not in starting mode, and hence thebackfire and not starting.

Thanks for everyone's help...this was a lesson in fustration.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:36 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned

At least you didn't shoot it

Old 04-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Twisted Humor
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 50 Freak

FYI for others if they ever have this same problem.

Replaced the VOES, still the same problem. The last thing that is replaceable...the ignition module was replaced and that took care of the problem.

In summary...bike would not start consistantly. When it would start, it would run fantastically. However, getting it started was a problem. Would backfire (like gunshot loud) with flames shooting out the pipe. Replaced carb, plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, voes switch. It still had the problem. The mechanic (third one as the first two could not diagnose the problem) said that bike was thinking that it was in run mode and not in starting mode, and hence thebackfire and not starting.

Thanks for everyone's help...this was a lesson in fustration.
Where did you get your VOES? I can not find anyone that has it in stock.

You said your bike was backed into and/or dropped. Might want to check your bank angle sensor. Maybe it did not reset.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:48 PM
LoneRyder
Tourer

+666 The V.O.E.S is PURE EVIL!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:41 PM
50 Freak
6th Gear

You have to order the VOES from the dealer. No one just carries it.

And it wasn't the VOES this time...it was the ignition module. Except, I'm getting a lot of carb farts now. I'll be riding at 80mph, and sometimes I'll get a "fart", feels like the pistons missed a firing or something. Momentary loss of power (like half a second) and then everything runs fine. On a 30 mile ride, I'll get it about 6 times.Is this normal?

Quick Reply: I'm about ready to shoot my 99 Sportster...or Help, I can't start it..