Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boring out baffles on stock pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:50 PM
yankee transplant
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boring out baffles on stock pipes

hey ya'll. the wife and I are new hd owners and also new here. she rides a 08 XL1200L and i have a 08 XL 1200C. Have had them since x-mas and loving every minute. We both took the "MSF course" and passed. We haven`t done anything special to them yet doing alot of window shopping, seen alot of great ideas here though.
The question I have is what are the advantages and disadvantagesof boring out the baffles on stock pipes?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:57 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: boring out baffles on stock pipes

I would look into buying some new pipes or some slip ons (being SE or some other brand).
Just making holes will make youloose power, probably void yer warranty, and generally make the bike sound like crap.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont do it!!!! Buy a set of slip ons and when the time comes go for full exhaust. Then again I have full exhaust and I want rinehart slip ons!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:20 PM
00ICUR12
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drilled out pipes are still pretty quiet when idling or just putting around. They do soundgood whenyou hit the gas.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:19 PM
lifesavr65
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just finished "punching out" the metal plug that is in the stock pipes. the bike is "awake" now and sounds like a harley.......it has that raspy sound and is a little louder.....
oh yeah my wifes bike is a 08' nightster.............she calls it "tiffany blue and black" when asked what color it is....................
have any q's as to how I did it just PM me.....it took all of an hour...well...two because the friends and I were talking the entire time....

Old 04-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Binny
Road Captain

...Check my posts....I have some info on what you want to do....actually, I did it myself........IMO it sounds pretty good..........but you know how that goes with some of these guys..............
............BINNY..................
ORIGINAL: yankee transplant

hey ya'll. the wife and I are new hd owners and also new here. she rides a 08 XL1200L and i have a 08 XL 1200C. Have had them since x-mas and loving every minute. We both took the "MSF course" and passed. We haven`t done anything special to them yet doing alot of window shopping, seen alot of great ideas here though.
The question I have is what are the advantages and disadvantagesof boring out the baffles on stock pipes?

Old 04-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Booey424
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the 2-into-1 stock exhaust.I drillled out the muffler.It sounded worse,and gave my way less power.I went with the Vance & Hines straightshots.I would get the shortshots but they don't make them for a 2003[:@].The V&H sound great and with the stage 1 complete the power is awsome

Old 04-11-2008, 12:41 PM
testiclease
Advanced

i did it to my XLN, drill them out with a 1 1/8inch drill bit. took 20 minutes. sounds awesome and there is no noticable loss in power, but since i put on a new AC, it idles a bit ruff when cold, and will prob need to be tuned.

as for warrenty, it will void the mufflers nothing else, no different then if you were to put on a new set of pipes. as goes for any aftermarket work.

probably unless you get it done at the HD shop, but you'll pay, o you'll pay

Old 04-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

I ran my stockers with the baffles removed for a few years. It got me by just fine with no noticable negative difference.
I just went with Samson Rip Saws this year (since I got a screaming deal on them), a Forcewinder Pro Billet Dominator Air cleaner, and a Yost kit in the carb. Needless to say the sound and performance is AMAZING!
Check out Binny's thread https://www.hdforums.com/m_3180535/m...tm.htm#3180535for a better way to modify your stockers.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:00 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member

Spend the money on slip-ons, it will be worth it.

Quick Reply: boring out baffles on stock pipes