Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Sportsters Crap Or What

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:09 AM
drumer66
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are Sportsters Crap Or What

I know this might get some attention.... But.... I love my 2007 Sportster XL50 --- but i get so disapointed when i think that
I paid 10,500 for this thing.... and the suspension is **** and the thing cant even go 75-80 without screaming or vibrating...

I'm just venting... I'm almost thinking of getting a bigger bike.... maybe the biggger bike will ride smoother, due to the weight and different suspension.... but then again, i have to pay approx 18k for that as well....

makes me wonder sometimes why i gave up my kawi....

">http://[IMG]http://i93.photobucket.c....jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-20-2008, 10:22 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Are Sportsters Crap Or What

Wish I would of bought a bigger bike also when I mentioned that to the wifey she said why didn't you, I thought I was lucky she let me have what I got without a lot of bitching.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:28 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: drumer66

.... and the suspension is **** and the thing cant even go 75-80 without screaming or vibrating...

makes me wonder sometimes why i gave up my kawi....

After seeing that....and then reading your signature line......

........ &
Sportsers Rule.........But You Already Knew That.....lol
I kinda tend to disregard anything in the post. It's sort of like saying.....vanilla is my favorite, but I like chocolate best?

You sound either very confused, or just a sheep that tries to follow the leader all the time?

Old 04-20-2008, 10:31 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, I'll bite

I love my Sporty. 90% of my riding is in-town at speeds of 50mph and lower. My XL1200C is perfect for that.

But, my wife has a Heritage, which she'll let me take out now and again. (She never wants to trade rides for a day--she hates the Sporty!) While I love my bike for in-town riding, hers is fine for that, too, as she's proven. She does her all errands except the monthly Costco run on it. And, when we go on weekend road trips, well, her bike is definitely better. Whenever I think my suspension is OK ("It *is* a motorcycle," I tell myself), I ride that Softail. The Sporty is not the preferred highway machine. Yes, it's *capable*, but not the best. And, when I think of what my Sporty cost and what I'd have to spend to replace the seat and front/rear suspension....coulda bought a Super Glide Custom.

For a while I was thinking of getting an FL softail (probably a Fatboy) to have a good cruiser, and keep my Sporty for around town. But now I'm thinking I want one bike for all my riding. Looking at a Super Glide Custom or a Low Rider. The suspension is a huge improvement over a Sportster's, by orders of magnitude. And that 6th gear....purrrrr

Whenever I talk about this, my wife looks at me and says, "I'm sorry you're not happy with your bike." No sarcasm or anything. It reminds me of why bought it in the irst place. I really am happy with it. It's not perfect, but, damn, it's fun. Way more fun the the old relics I used to put-put around on.

Maybe I will get an FXDC or FXDL, which really are just bigger, more versatile Sportsters. But only because what I want from the bike will have changed. The Sporty did rekindle my love of riding. I used to ride my bikes as a sorta fun way to get around town and save gas. The Sporty turned me into an obsessive bike freak.

Then, for my second bike, I could get a KTM 990 Adventure S or a R1200GS Adventure and start cruising the logging roads....

Old 04-20-2008, 10:39 AM
drumer66
Tourer

i wrote that when i first bought my bike.... but now that i ride with friends on the highway more often and they ride at speeds at 75-85.... i now realize that my bikecant handle that.... its screams and it vibrates waaaay to much..

and dont get me started on the suspension.... for 10 thousssand dollars they should have put better suspension on the bike....
I would have rather pay 11 thousand for this bike if it had a halfway decent suspension..

JD

Old 04-20-2008, 10:43 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: drumer66

i wrote that when i first bought my bike.... but now that i ride with friends on the highway more often and they ride at speeds at 75-85.... i now realize that my bike cant handle that.... its screams and it vibrates waaaay to much..

and dont get me started on the suspension.... for 10 thousssand dollars they should have put better suspension on the bike....
I would have rather pay 11 thousand for this bike if it had a halfway decent suspension..

JD

+1

I now do a lot more highway riding than I did when I bought it. I ride friends' Dynas...nice....why couldn't they make a Sportster suspension like that?

Old 04-20-2008, 10:45 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll trade ya even up
I'd love to have a 50th anni Sporty.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:54 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master

No other Harley models appeal to me. Buell, maybe some day. I love it when someone says something negative about the Sporty. There's nothing like that look in their eyes....

Old 04-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Mandog
Road Master

They are not crap...That's a little harsh. Using your same logic then your 18000 dollar softail is crap compaired to a Road King or an Electra Glide. You get your softail up to about 75 or 80 and you got the counter balanced shakes. That's why there are price points and differant bikes in the Harley Davidson line. Sportsters were not made to be highway cruisers. Does that mean you can't take it on the highway? Of course not. Your right, if you want a smoother running bike than you have to spend the money. If you want light, peppy, economical,and fun around town bike than you buy a sportster.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:26 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Right now it's a buyers market out there for anyone looking to purchase another bike, no matter what the model.

Because of the economy and financial restraints people are selling late model used bikes at rock bottom prices. In many cases these bikes are almost like 'new', with very few miles.

Friend of mine down in Oklahoma recently picked up a mint condition 2006 Softail Deuce with only 2,200 miles, quick disconnect windshield, etc., for $10,500.

Like many families the owner was having financial problems and because of priorities the bike had to go.

Now that Harley is cutting back production of all models prices will no doubt start to go up. It will take a while for prices to stabilize on the 'used bike market', but for at least the remainder of this year there are unreal deals out there.

Quick Reply: Are Sportsters Crap Or What