Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster to V-Rod

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:01 PM
SGT Z
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster to V-Rod

I really like my Sporty and how nimble and quick it is, but as I get more of a taste for its speed it's making me more and more want to get a V-Rod. Of course I'd like to get both, but on a Soldier's pay that isn't realistic. On message boards around the internet I see people saying V-rods really aren't that fast at all, while on the other hand I see these youtube videos of V-Rods beating Hayabusas in drag races.

I know Harleys are not speed bikes, but I like their comfort and look. I will not get a crotch rocket, but I do enjoy some speed now and then when I need it, or those humorous times when a Mustang starts revving his engine like he has a prayer's chance of beating me to the next light. I really don't feel comfortable going much over 80 MPH, so I'm not looking for one of those big Harleys that can hit 150. I'm looking more at 0-60 speed.

So basically, what's the real deal on V-Rod speed? I think I read that a new stock 1200C has a 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds and the V-rod does it in 3.2 give or take a few tenths of a second. Is there any way to get my 2011 XL1200C under 4, maybe even 3.5 range, and still be more economical than just trading it in on a V-rod?

I know I know I know... Harleys are cruisers and not meant for speed, but this is what I want to do.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:11 PM
erbilabuc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rad questions get Rad answers. Easiest way is to put a rocket on it.
http://www.the-rocketman.com/content12.html

If you want a bike that looks and performs like a v-Rod then get a V-rod. If you think a mildly or even highly modded V-Rod is going to beat a Hayabusa then you need to sell your motorcycle and buy a Chevy Aveo.

You want super fast but on a budget (beat a hayabusa) out of a Harley Davidson? This is what I call dream land and its time to wake you up.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:23 PM
SGT Z
Intermediate
Old 11-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Eric The Welder
Banned

i had a vrod for about a month along with my sportster, its definetly fast!!! but it handles like a minivan, and i just hated it. didnt feel like a harley at all to me. i sold it after 33 days.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:34 PM
erbilabuc
Cruiser

Sweet video but I dont think you understand. That Hayabusa probably has an exhaust and thats it. That V-Rod has $10,000 alone in motor work and then the suspension just to barely sneak by a Hayabusa. Are you waiting for someone to say "hell yeah great idea" so you can go buy a VROD? Ill do it if you need me to.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 PM
quixote
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SGT Z
...... Is there any way to get my 2011 XL1200C under 4, maybe even 3.5 range, and still be more economical than just trading it in on a V-rod? ...
What you have is easily recognized as a lust for rapid acceleration. Since you don't mind sacrificing some of your top end, gearing seems like the cheapest route to improve your 0 - 60 ET's.

Do a search on gearing related topics.
Here's a start: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-sprocket.html

~

Old 11-11-2011, 02:37 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I was never beaten on the strip in my time with NMCA by a Dodge Viper vs my '99 Z-28. That does not mean my Camaro was the fastest vehicle. No Viper could hook up their tires like I could. Too many variables will lead one to the wrong conclusion every time.

You want faster? By all means the VRod will fit the bill. Will it overpower the sport bikes? Not likely unless it is heavily modified, and even then it is not a forgone conclusion. Buy something you like and suits the way you ride for the most enjoyment.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:10 PM
fox4
Road Master

That is no factory V-rod. That is the V-Rod destroyer. That is a limited edition full out drag bike that Harley made I don't know how many years back.

I have demoed both a V-Rod and the XR1200 back to back and the XR1200 takes the cake for me. It has super low gearing (Even lower than the 883 (10.4 vs 10.7 in 1st) and more power than an XL1200 and absolutely launches off the line. Plus it is super stable and handles amazing for a Harley.

I would ride the V-Rod before buying one, because I was not impressed at all with the performance. But I do love the way they look, and if I had the money I would buy it for that and not the performance.

The following users liked this post:
Hal64hd (07-21-2021)
Old 11-11-2011, 05:43 PM
SGT Z
Intermediate

Okay. I'm not set on getting a V-Rods, just wondering what you guys thought about the bike. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:11 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first decided that I wanted a Harley I though that I wanted a VROD but for a few reasons I went with a 1200 Custom. I like the heavier feel of the sportster, the sound and I like seating posistion better. and then there's the price differences. I test drove a sportster and was satisfied with the performance. Vrods have really come down in price, the brand new ones are only $15k now.

Quick Reply: Sportster to V-Rod