Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 PM
FyrFtrMistress
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather

I've had my 08 Nightster for about a year. I was thinking of getting some V&H Sideshots.

I've also looked into the the Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather. Any one have it on their bikes? Pros/Cons? I wanted to add the cover like below. Tell me your thoughts!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 PM
wayslow
Tourer

I've had my SE Heavy Breather for a couple years...I put the Bassani Street Sweepers on at the same time as the breather and got her tuned up. Performance increase was noticeable, and I dig the looks of them.

Pic taken soon after I installed pipes and breather...with rain sock.

Last summer...

Last edited by wayslow; 01-07-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: mspeld a werd
Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The Heavy Breather is but one of many different types of Air Cleaners that will let your bike breath easier and afford your engine more air [more air ='s more fuel ='s more power!], but my thoughts on the cover would tend to make me believe that it would be restricting the airflow, creating a detritment to it's purpose of increased air flow.

I run a K&N Air Charger intake on my '09 Iron and like the looks of the "open" filter design, and despite my original fears of it "sticking out" or getting in the way of my leg during riding, it has proven to be no different than the stock ham can.

K&N Air Charger 63-1126 can be found for under $300 if you look...

There are of course less expensive alternatives and about a kazillion other types that are smaller so I suggest you take a looksee around [I took weeks to decide on the K&N, LOL] and you might find something that tickles yer fancy more than the Heavy Breather.

One thing worthy of mention about adding aftermarket exhaust and intake systems...you should know that Harley Davidson engines run lean, meaning that they are notoriously setup from the factory to burn "less" fuel, to satisfy the [E]nvironmental[P]rotection[A]gency requirements for pollutants emitted into the atmosphere from their motorcycles, and as a result of this "lean" condition the exhaust and engine temperatures run high, which although not causing damage in and of itself, it will however rob YOU of performance.

Now, if you decide to move away from stock and add ONLY a less restrictive exhaust system/pipes/mufflers, this isn't going to make your engine run leaner, and by the same notion, if you add JUST a less restictive air cleaner/intake system this alone will not add to your lean engine condition. BUT, if you add BOTH aftermarket exhaust AND a less restrictive air cleaner/intake, this combination will definately make your lean condition worse! Oh what to do.

So you may now ask, well, what's the use or purpose of exhaust [besides making your bike "sound" like a Harley] and an intake [the combination of both is known as a "Stage 1" modification] if they in combination make my engine run even leaner? Well, the combination of less restrictive exhaust and intake give your engine the POTENTIAL to run like it's supposed to, but only if you add one more thing...a tune. This can be accomplished in a number of ways...1] with the addition of the "Xied" series of add on gizmos which when placed inline with your stock 02 sensors, trick your ECM into providing more fuel to help lessen the "lean" factory condition, 2] purchase and install a "tuner" [Power Commander III/V, HD's own tuner, etc.] that you can use inline with your ECM or one that can "flash" [Power Vision, etc.] your ECM with an appropriate "MAP" that will eleviate this lean condition and provide adjustments to take advantage of more fuel during most ALL driving conditions, or 3] you can bring your bike to a dyno shop and have a tech run your machine through the paces and set up your ECM so your engine is running top notch [hopefully, LOL] for "X" amount of $$.

Regardless of your choice of intake you can hardly go wrong with the Screamin' Eagle stuff, but since there are literally hundreds of choices to choose from please take the time to investigate the many other options out there, which are more often less expensive and more "unique" to make your ride YOURS and stand out in it's special way.

Peace out, best wishes on your quest, and ride safe.

=8^)
aka DrewBone
aka Andy

Last edited by DrewBone; 01-07-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I put the SE heavy breather, cycle shack slip on's and got the HD download for the EFI on my 09 XL custom. Noticeable more power, runs great and sounds great. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

(needed to edit, read some thing incorrectly)
I like the same setup but I would have to agree the cover would defiantly restrict the air flow, now to the point of the stock intake I'm not sure but restrict YES

Last edited by ib5150; 01-14-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:52 AM
lateralus
Tourer

Originally Posted by wayslow
I've had my SE Heavy Breather for a couple years...I put the Bassani Street Sweepers on at the same time as the breather and got her tuned up. Performance increase was noticeable, and I dig the looks of them.

Pic taken soon after I installed pipes and breather...with rain sock.

Last summer...

Did you notice a loss of some power through mid rpm? I read you would lose some power unless you had a heavy breather paired up with a good 2-1 exhaust. I have the same set of sweepers on mine so I'm just curious.

Here is the a/c I plan on buying here soon.

http://www.figuremachine.com/product...-c/xlflowc.php

Attached Thumbnails Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather-untitled-9.jpg  
Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM
IronAK
Intermediate

ive got one on my bike, i love everything about it, definitely performs better then the last intake i had on. i ran that metal cover like youre showing for about a year but took it off and now i just run a rainsock over the filter. i think it looks better then having the metal cone.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Wideglide1414
Intermediate

Sweet