Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather vs. Stage 1 Aircleaner

Old 04-29-2008, 07:49 AM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather vs. Stage 1 Aircleaner

I put Screaming Eagle Slip-ons on my Nightster last week and I'm getting a little black smoke from the pipes when I
rev, so it looks like I'm going to have to remap, so thought I might as well do the Air Cleaner so I don't have
to remap twice.

I've been looking at both the Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather and the Stage 1 Air Cleaner.
I like how the Heavy breather looks, but are there any performance or other differences other than how they look on the bike?
Let me know what you recommend. I plan on buying one of them after work today and doing the remap tomorrow.

I'm almost done with mods on the bike for awhile I hope.
I've had the bike for a month and have replaced the seat, put on mini-apes and braided cables, the slip-ons, and now the air cleaner.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather vs. Stage 1 Aircleaner

But "looks" is everything on a Harley

Old 04-29-2008, 07:55 AM
jasperpso
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one is 140$ and looks stock, the other is $300 and looks narly..

if you arent going to have engine work done, you probably wouldnt notice a performance difference between the two.. but the heavy breather will flow more air if you port the heads and change the cams..

Old 04-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Take the heavy breather. And don't let anyone tell you that you can't ride in the rain with it either, that's a load of crap. My buddy has the stage one breather and I have the heavy breather, we ran into a real heavy rain last year and I had no issues, his scoot did start to break up some. as for performance, the heavy breather does flow much better than the stage 1 breather does. In the end, it's your scoot, get what makes you happy and ride the **** out of it.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My post would have been similar to Zimbob's so I will just say "I agree with him" and be done... [8D]

Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 AM
tt_ksu
Tourer

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll pick up the Heavy Breather on the way home from work tonight and see if they can do the remap tomorrow morning.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:49 PM
x2lee
Banned

If you leave the rain sock off mine in the heavy rain it will be sputtering and jumping. So it aint a load of crap on my bike. But your right that you get better airflow and the leg room is a lot better.
ORIGINAL: Zimbob

Take the heavy breather. And don't let anyone tell you that you can't ride in the rain with it either, that's a load of crap. My buddy has the stage one breather and I have the heavy breather, we ran into a real heavy rain last year and I had no issues, his scoot did start to break up some. as for performance, the heavy breather does flow much better than the stage 1 breather does. In the end, it's your scoot, get what makes you happy and ride the **** out of it.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:19 PM
FIA289Cobra
Advanced

I had the Se kit on my bike. A screw backed out and was sucked into the engine. The dealer is covering the issue bc they installed it. Needless to say I am switching to a heavy breather.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't constantly run the rain sock on my Forcewinder (the "original" heavy breather) but I make damn sure to keep it in the tool pouch. Running without the rain sock (or prefilter) in the rain most certainly isn't good for the engine. Keep it on or near the bike at all times since you never know when the sky's will open up and dump a bucket of water on you! [8D]

Old 04-29-2008, 06:07 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer

Well, I got it installed today and I started it upand ran like crap as expected. I've got an
appointment tomorrow for the download first thing so I'm looking forward to seeing how it runs and sounds.

It seemed like the exhaust wasn't as loud with the new filter on, so hopefully that changes.

I'll always have the rain sock nearby, luckily I have a fork bag so it will fit in there when I get rained on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather vs. Stage 1 Aircleaner