Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miles on Cycle Shacks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:36 PM
joel85
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miles on Cycle Shacks?

Who has the most miles on a set of cycle shack mufflers? What problems have you seen so far?

I am probably going to go with V&H slip ons but The low price of cycle shacks keeps making me look.I've just seen quite a few people say bad things about the chrome quality, flaking etc. I also will not be doing the a/c or tune yet so I am afraid the cycle shacks will turn color on me with the lean factory setting while the v&h have the heat shield over the entire pipe. Just wanted to see if there are people with a ton of mile on them with them doing fine.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:49 PM
CelticCB
Intermediate
Location: San Diego, NAB. But I reside in Oxnard, Ca with my lovely wife Suzanna
Default RE: Miles on Cycle Shacks?

Guys I really do not see what all the hipe is about? I would just get some pipe from the local muffler shop put some bends on it cut at 45deg and put the slip mold on the other side and BAMO you got custom pipes and if you want them to look good get a set of pipe wrap and wah la! GTG. That is if you don't like chrome. Ugh who likes to spend time polishing arrrgh. I rather be riding!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:52 PM
joel85
Road Captain

I'm lucky if I can change my oil and you want me to bend pipe for my own exhaust. HA!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:58 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

ORIGINAL: CelticCB

Guys I really do not see what all the hipe is about? I would just get some pipe from the local muffler shop put some bends on it cut at 45deg and put the slip mold on the other side and BAMO you got custom pipes and if you want them to look good get a set of pipe wrap and wah la! GTG. That is if you don't like chrome. Ugh who likes to spend time polishing arrrgh. I rather be riding!
Sounds great, except that means no back pressure which means a loss of low-mid range torque. Works great at the drag strip where you stay above 4000 rpm but not for street riding. [:-]

Old 05-07-2008, 05:01 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

ORIGINAL: joel85

Who has the most miles on a set of cycle shack mufflers? What problems have you seen so far?

I am probably going to go with V&H slip ons but The low price of cycle shacks keeps making me look.I've just seen quite a few people say bad things about the chrome quality, flaking etc. I also will not be doing the a/c or tune yet so I am afraid the cycle shacks will turn color on me with the lean factory setting while the v&h have the heat shield over the entire pipe. Just wanted to see if there are people with a ton of mile on them with them doing fine.
Maybe SportyPig will chime in here. I think he has over 30K miles on his and last time I saw & heard them they were doing great.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I had 5,800 miles on a set for about 15 months and they looked as good as the day they were new when I replaced them. I went with SE II's with Big City Thunder Baffles - couldn't stand the harmonics of the Cycle Shacks at 55-65 mph which is where I do most of my riding. The SE II's w/BCTB's are much deeper and a much greater sound - real keepers.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:50 PM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

I've got over 12,000 on mine and had no problems except for me being stupid. I got baked on bird crap on them, so I used Mother's aluminum polish. (Not meant for chrome.) It had some weird reaction where the pipes turned yellow in that spot for awhile. I tried washing it off...no go. It seemed to bake off on its own after a couple rides and now the pipes are absolutely fine again. I also like the way that they sound. I get lots of compliments on the baloney slice.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:01 PM
joel85
Road Captain

Where is the best place to buy besides jireh cycle?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Azwethinkweiz
Tourer

Mine are rusting, pretty pissed. It's a defect because it's coming from under the surface, its not surface rust. They've been on the bike since last august and sat in dry heated garage all winter on the bike, there's no reason for them to be rusting. Glad they're cheap...

Old 05-07-2008, 10:09 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not quite 30,000 miles on the cycle shacks. The first 6,000 or so were on stock pipes. So, the cycle shacks now have about 28,000 miles on them.

They are still performing just fine. Only problem is I still have some remaining squirrel guts that got baked on, that I haven't taken the time to get cleaned off. But the pipes are fine, chrome is standing up good, in all riding conditions.

Quick Reply: Miles on Cycle Shacks?