Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is this?

Old 05-18-2008, 07:46 PM
bladesmith
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is this?

2008 Sportster Roadster......Lower left side of engine, the wire in the center of the picture...should this be plugged into something or be capped?....what is it?

[IMG][/IMG]

Second question.....Just did an oil and filter change and engine check.....Ignition on and oil check lamp comes on....run engine for a short period then switch off. Few seconds later turn ignition switch on and oil check light does not come on, is this normal on a sportster. If I wait a few minutes with switch off and try again, it comes back on. Does this mean that pressure remains in the engine for a short period of time after off?

Thanks.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:51 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: what is this?

Im curious to learn what that is and why its unplugged like that. Do you see anything that matches as a plug for that?

Old 05-18-2008, 08:00 PM
bladesmith
Advanced

I cannot see anything obvious that it plugs into...I was thinking that maybe its something for diagnostic testing and the cap is missing?

Old 05-18-2008, 08:21 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior

you could be right, it might of had an attached cap like the battery pigtail. It might be some sort of plug that a diagnostic contraption attaches to.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:26 PM
bladesmith
Advanced

Hoping someone with an 08 Sporty can identify it.

Any thoughts on the oil check light taking time to re illuminate?

Old 05-18-2008, 08:35 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior

I just went to check that on my bike. Nope oil light comes on everytime, right away. I have discovered that the two relays inthe fuse block are very touchy. They hate getting wet and any built up corrossion makes them act stupid. Might wanna pull them and check for corrosion. A little dielectric grease would be good insurance.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:32 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From looking through the shop manual, it looks like it might be the crank position senor harness. But it shows it as connected, and I believe "inside" of the boot.

It is a little hard to see because, although your picture is "supersized", it only shows a very small area, and it is harder to see the surrounding area to compare.

But it may be the "CKP sensor harness connector".

If you have a shop manual, look at page 7-80. (Although my manual is for an '07, so your mileage may vary[&:]).

Old 05-18-2008, 10:44 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, after looking some more......it looks like the CKP behind that exposed connector? Therefore ruling that idea out.
I went and looked at my bike, and all I see besides the crank sensor, is 2 other connections just above, and forward of that. Two connections fastened to the frame. Are they both plugged in on yours?

Old 05-18-2008, 11:19 PM
bladesmith
Advanced

There are two rubber boots side by side, opened at the bottom, one contains wires that go into the crank, the other boot has this wire protruding out of it, its secured to the chassis so either something I cant find joins it, or there is a cover/cap missing for it?.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:09 AM
Darksyde
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont have my bike now but im pretty sure i have that too, i saw it when installing my forward controls. i assumed it was diagnostic. there are a few other wires around the bike with open plug ends if you look around.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what is this?