Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding on Long Island

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 03:43 PM
HIGH CALIBER
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding on Long Island

Hello Community,

I have a couple newb questions.

1) How do you get it into family members heads that you are not going to get killed the first time out on your new motorcycle?

It seems that every time I tell everyone I am pulling the trigger on a new ride, someone gets killed on a bike that is close to my family. For instance, a coworker of mine was riding home at about eight o'clock at night two weeks ago and gets hit blind side and dies instantly. My mothers neighbor's 19 year old kid just died a couple weeks ago after hitting a car when he was"stunting" on his rice rocket. A friend of the family just got hit in the HOV lane of the Long Island Expressway, he wasminding his business andcrunch a friggin van runs him into the wall after illegally passing over the white HOV divider...he dies later in the hospital from his injuries.

Three deaths local to me in a month. Now NOBODY wants me to get a motorcycle, coworkers, family, and my girlfriend is becoming reluctant. Now what...huh.

2)Does anyone have experience riding in NY? I live near the Hamptons on the east end of Long Island and I feel the more rural areas out here are safer to ride vs the above instances were all west of me in the suburban areas of LI. Maybe from here to Montauk Point I will be safe to ride, but always be vigilant of the tractors pulling out of the farms...oh and cattle. Everyone I know with a Harley either has a very expensive garage ornament OR ride their asses off out of state to the west on their mega huge touring bikes. I wanta 1200 Roadster to enjoy the east end of LI.

Sorry for any repetitive questions,

Thank you everyone,

-Danny

Old 05-24-2008, 03:54 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Riding on Long Island

Welcome to the forum. The only thing that i can say about the dangers of riding is to take the MSF course and be vigilant when you ride. Dont trust any of the cagers. ride defensively and always assume they are gonna do something stupid. I live and ride in Houston texas which is huge and sprawling and wall to wall cages and trucks. I always assume they dont know how to drive so i watch out for them. its a good idea to make yourself as visible as possible when you ride.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Amzie
Road Captain

Welcome to the forum.

There is no way to convince the family.
My family rides ... I was on a bike almost before I could walk, it does not matter. Every time my brother, sisters or I get on... whom ever is left standing, worries.
All you can do is for yourself. Take the MSF course and learn all you can cram into your head. Practice it - and ride safe. Once they see you come home a few times, it will ease up, but it will never go away.
Best of luck.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what you gotta be careful of out there? The people from Manhattan who don't drive much who come out for the weekends. I actually find it worse riding out there then I do further west on the Island. MSF is a real good idea.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:24 PM
HarleyBerri
Cruiser

I second the idea of the MSF course, and know that all you can do for your family is to listen, and calmly (but assertively) let them know you will be learning to ride and you don't plan to do any stunts in the near future. I feel your pain, I used to live out in Suffolk and it was insane on the weekends when city people wanted to "go East" and get pie. Stay safe up there, I know the drivers up there are pretty malicious and the LIE is NO place for a new rider. Take it easy, pace yourself, and when you're ready for traffic like that (my boyfriend's been riding for 8 years and he still isn't "ready" for the LIE with the motorcycle) you'll know.

When I lived in Hampton Bays I loved driving down to the little island (when it's not flooded) and just tooling around the roads. I wish I remembered that island's name...

Anyhow, your main concern on that stretch would be sand, but at least it gives you some friction on a day when it's not overly humid.

Oh, and apparently, 45% of all bike accidents occur in residential neighborhoods. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HarleyBerri

I second the idea of the MSF course, and know that all you can do for your family is to listen, and calmly (but assertively) let them know you will be learning to ride and you don't plan to do any stunts in the near future. I feel your pain, I used to live out in Suffolk and it was insane on the weekends when city people wanted to "go East" and get pie. Stay safe up there, I know the drivers up there are pretty malicious and the LIE is NO place for a new rider. Take it easy, pace yourself, and when you're ready for traffic like that (my boyfriend's been riding for 8 years and he still isn't "ready" for the LIE with the motorcycle) you'll know.

When I lived in Hampton Bays I loved driving down to the little island (when it's not flooded) and just tooling around the roads. I wish I remembered that island's name...

Anyhow, your main concern on that stretch would be sand, but at least it gives you some friction on a day when it's not overly humid.

Oh, and apparently, 45% of all bike accidents occur in residential neighborhoods. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Shelter Island ?????

Old 05-24-2008, 06:10 PM
kardoc
Cruiser

Another vote here for the MSF course. I'm from Massapequa , L.I. I think it really does not matter where you ride there are still going to a**holes out there. You just have to be alert and try as best you can to stay out of harms way. Welcome to the forum and safe riding !! Phil...

Old 05-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Dominator624
Cruiser

I plan on taking a riders course after i get my permit, and when i get my license and a bike i plan to ride around town and out East ( i live in Medford). Since i work in Westbury i carpool, and on a daily basis i see the craziness that happens on the LIE going West and East bound, so there is no way i would even consider going too far West. It's a risk i don't feel like taking.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:29 PM
HarleyBerri
Cruiser

Nope, Dune road, I just remembered. It was in Moriches Bay.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:31 PM
HarleyBerri
Cruiser

I moved around a bit out there but I pretty much just worked in Riverhead and Stony Brook, that LIE nonsense was crazy no matter what, but I LOVED Sunrise Highway.

Quick Reply: Riding on Long Island