Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership issues...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 03:54 AM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dealership issues...

Nothing to major to some but today it down right pissed me off. First thing. Today was my B-day& I was gonna take off of work but I work close to a local Harley dealership & made an appointment to have a new rear tire put on so I worked. Ok so I have an appointment for2pm so what I did was drop it off at 9 am when they open. They said if the could squeeze it in early they would. I get off of work at 2 pm and have my bud drop me off about 2:30. I walk in service and see my bike on the rack but not started. Cool shouldn't be long then. I even ask & get it should be an hour tops. I do know it's a holiday weekend and they had alot of travelers. Now when I spoke to them to make the appointment they said it should be close to $200,$140 somthing for the tire & 60 labor for the hour. High but close to work and I wanted to ride on my B-day so I said fineSuper Daves will do it including a Metzler for $140 if you take the rim off. Close to my house & that's howwe did my buds 1200C.
Back to the story. I'm at the dealership chillin' & droolin' over a Thunder Mountain Custom Springerand notice it's 3:30 so I walk back and see my bike still on the rack and noone around it. Ok fine I'll go to Taco Bell & eat and come back. It's in the same parking lot so wasn't gone long,about 4 pm & nothing going on on my bikeNow the guy said at 2:30 it would likely be an hour. I go sit in the showroom waiting area and BS with a couple of the girls that work there and checked out the clearance stuff to see if there was anything for Sportsters I want & happen to see the service lady who Dawn & I have BS'd with & her husband at a couple parties up there & Mountainfest. She knew I was there for a tire & she said she really appreciates my patients they had some travelers all day in & out with problems,but at the end she says kinda like no biggie your appointment was for 4pm anyway[:@]
No actually my appointment was for yesterday and I called to see if it would be easier for tomarrow & you guys said it would help them out alot more if I would do it today,cool becauseI had other things to do yesterday. So I say nicely "actually my appointment was for2 pm my bike has been on the rack since 2:30 & it's my Birthday and I had people waiting on me & I had to run to loot an hour away to my boss before I could even start.She walks back & tells the dude to start onmy bike. It was 4:30 & it took a 1/2 hour including test ride[:@][:@][:@][:@]Ok here is the part that just jacks me off. My bill for a stock dunlop was $233 & change! WTF is $10 for shop materials????????? I just paid you $90 more than my Indy for a cheaper tire so I didn't have to pull the wheel & you were close. I paid that much more than a local Indy because of the ease of my scedule to be treated like my bike wasn't important???? I do buy alot of stuff there for my buds bikes since I pass there 15 times a day.
After the leaving there for my 1000 mile service with a missing derby cover screw & my new footpeg bouncing down the road I won't ever be going back for work there,ever! I will push my bike the 50 miles to the next place first! Travelers or not,I'm a repeat customer for parts & service. I paid alot more than I needed to & kinda did you a favor the day before even though it helped me out to be brushed off like no big deal???? Totally make us miss the Regatta (sp) & a buds band. I guess 1 good thing came of it. The mech. came back from the test ride and told me my bike runs great, he said I could use a hair more carb adj. & I did a good job on my carb & AC[8D]
I manage 2 small car lots & wouldn't treat my regulars like that over people who just happen to blowing thru. Yes I do understand travelers do need special attention with mechanical problems in a hurry but to *** rape people for $$ & then blow them off

Old 05-25-2008, 04:50 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Dealership issues...

ORIGINAL: twisty571

Am I wrong???
Of course you are wrong...

You expect to be treated well first off...

You expect them to keep their end of the appointment....

You expect them to check their work....

Sheeez dude!... this aint the 1950s you know...

You should expect to be treated like shiiiiiit!

Just kidding of course... but the above is so close to being the norm these days its really sad...

Charlie D.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:19 AM
bmkshort
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're not called stealerships for nothing. Next time, bring some vaseline with you. It might ease the pain.
Sounds pretty typical for this area too.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:38 AM
WVleo
Road Master

Hi, I would be standing in there showroom bitching so loud that these people can't change a overpriced stock tire in 1 1 /2 hours on a appointment I had made the day B4 that they would want the bike finished and Me out the door ! Ofcourse that would be My last visit for business ..WVleo

Old 05-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: WVleo

Hi, I would be standing in there showroom bitching so loud that these people can't change a overpriced stock tire in 1 1 /2 hours on a appointment I had made the day B4 that they would want the bike finished and Me out the door ! Ofcourse that would be My last visit for business ..WVleo
I wouldn't make a big show out of it but I would let it be known I'm very unhappy about the situation and that my business will be going else where. When I got My forwards put on (bike was new and forwards were ordered at same time, cause I would have put em on myself) they called me on the phone and said " buddy the stock nightster pegs don't work with the forwards cause the flat spot on em faces up" Thats cool to let me know and I gladly told em to throw on some cheap HD rubber ones. I go to pick up the bike and they want me to pay 20 bucks labor for installing the new pegs!!!! Now I'm already pissed they want to charge me labor on forward control installation seeing that I just spent 10k on a new bike but an extra 20 for peg installation[sm=confused06.gif] last time I checked you had to remove and install pegs during the installation of the forwards so why because I got new pegs are you going to charge extra Everything was said and done so I told em Im not paying it and get me the manager cause the bikes staying till we square this away. Well this dealer is one of those dealers who is run by a money hungry son of a bitch who doesn't even work at the shop he sits home and collects the $$$$. I payed the 20 bucks and sent three emails before I got an offer for a 20 dollar gift card I said no thanks I want cash cause I'm going to a new dealer from now on and sure as **** they threw me a Jackson and I was out the door. **** shops like that.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:55 AM
cootertwo
Cruiser

Just another example of how Harley is going to loose it's ***.... Rape your customers, and treat them like crap. Yea, HD, that's the way to do business. Yup, I could have bought one hell of a nice Jap bike, for what I paid for my 06 sporty. To most Stealers, sporty owners are pond scum, and not worth the time to talk to.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:06 AM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: cootertwo

Just another example of how Harley is going to loose it's ***.... Rape your customers, and treat them like crap. Yea, HD, that's the way to do business. Yup, I could have bought one hell of a nice Jap bike, for what I paid for my 06 sporty. To most Stealers, sporty owners are pond scum, and not worth the time to talk to.
I had a little B-day drunk on last night but yes I have to agree,this dealership the "Owners/Managers" look at you like you have no business there unless you spent 30K on a bike & trade it for another every year IMO. So I have a Sportster! THE best bike Harley makes from the factory & have no interest in a bagger &I'm treated like ****? Me spending a couple hundred a month or so there isn't good enough & they probably wouldn't miss my business any[:'(]The couple girls I BS with when I go in are cool,the parts guys are pretty cool & have on occasion indulged in a phatty with.1 of them his Dad owns a small dealership he opened a couple years ago ,my dealerships & boss helped get up & runnin' so I do know a couple people there but I will never ever have anything done by the service department again! Even though Dawn said if I really wanted I could try and finance that Thunder Mountain Custom Springer I so love but if I ever did it wouldn't be from there! I also haven't swallowed the pill of $30K for a bike & if I were to really seriously consider it I would have to consider a SE Springer for the same price. I'll be keeping my Sporty

Old 05-25-2008, 03:08 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I was getting dicked around I called every day after my bike was supposed to be fixed. Shop manager finally figured out who kept telling me unreasonable times and fired him. They apologized and said my sporty was the best and all my anger subsided.
That is a sucky day for your b-bray though.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:24 PM
ggreenetx
Advanced

I hate to say it, but does sound very typical. Here in Lubbock, I have bought somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000.00 to $2500.00 in parts and accessories and about $1500.00 spent in the shop on repairs in the last 6 months. I had a taillight bulb burn out and went in this week to have the bulb switched out since I didn't havethe right sizedneedlenose plyers to remove the broken bulb. The service guy told me they were a week behind, and I could leave it and they could get to it in 10 days. I said thanks and went to an indy here and had it removed. When you turn away a customer that's spent $4000.00 in parts, labor, etc. in the last 6 months you're making a big mistake. I seriously doubt I'll be in the market for a newer bike that has to be plugged to a computer to tune. If it takes 10 days to remove a taillight bulb, I can just imagine how long it will take to get to to actually do any work. Of course, this story is way to good to not tell so I'm sure it will discourage others from using them. I've always been in sales and this is defintely not the way to make customers happy and to create an atmosphere of repeat business. Just hope it goes better next time for you!!!

Old 05-25-2008, 07:12 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer

Your first mistake was expecting reasonable service...I simply stopped with high expectations and nowgo in expecting the absolute worst. The reason is that no one gives a **** these days. They don't care how much coin you drop, they dont care if you are a loyal customer - and..... being nice, flexible, and understanding won't get you anywhere but taken advantage of. maybe I'm the exception, but based on feedback from other consumers I'm right on the money.

This is a real shame....