Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster for "large" guy??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:29 PM
Elvis Nixon
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sportster for "large" guy??

I'm 6 ft 230 lbs and am very comfortable on my 1200N. I added forward controls and have the shock preload at the maximum setting. The suspension is the only gripe about my bike I have.

My next mod is going to be a set of Works Performance shocks and fork springs.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:43 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: StevenBVT

Now the big question. I am not a small guy... 6 feet tall and run about 240 pounds. Is a Sportster going to be too small for me? I'm not looking for a bike to cruise long distance... mostly commuting to work. I've heard that the mid controls might make the riding stance be a little cramped for someone my size and that I probably should go with forward controls. Also, I'm leaning toward the Nightster, so anyone my size with a Nightster out there??
Steven,
Do you see a recurring response here. All of us "Bigguns" are riding 1200 Roadsters. (I'm 5'11" - 270lbs)All the others just didn't work for my weight. And for what it's worth, I felt just as big on other Harley models as I do on the Roadster. I did eventually go to forward controls, by need and not by choice, but they work well.

-Andy

Old 05-31-2008, 02:54 PM
StevenBVT
5th Gear

Thanks everyone for your input. I have to say, I got a lot more helpful responses than I thought I would... a testament to the integrity of this forum, I guess.

If money were no object, I probably would go with a larger bike like the Fat Bob, but I think budget is going to limit me to a Sporty. Plus, the commute to work has some twisties, so it sounds like the Sporty would be more fun in that respect anyway. I pretty much figured I was going to have forward controls as when I had my metric all those years ago, I installed a highway bar with pegs.

I will definitely be "kicking the tires" and sitting on different bikes before buying.

Thanks all again...

Old 05-31-2008, 03:14 PM
sctusa
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: StevenBVT

Thanks everyone for your input. I have to say, I got a lot more helpful responses than I thought I would... a testament to the integrity of this forum, I guess.

If money were no object, I probably would go with a larger bike like the Fat Bob, but I think budget is going to limit me to a Sporty. Plus, the commute to work has some twisties, so it sounds like the Sporty would be more fun in that respect anyway. I pretty much figured I was going to have forward controls as when I had my metric all those years ago, I installed a highway bar with pegs.

I will definitely be "kicking the tires" and sitting on different bikes before buying.

Thanks all again...
Be sure and check out the Roadster. It has an inch of extra ground clearance. Also comes with a tach and dual front disc brakes. Extra stopping power is great...

Old 05-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Azwethinkweiz
Tourer

6-4 200lbs and I love my bike...I'd probably fit better on a bigger bike but none of them are near as fun as a sportster IMO... Get a bike with forward controls and put a highway bar or cruise pegs on it...You'll be fine man. Just adjust the preload on the rear shocks like others have said, I have mine on 3 all the time.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:55 PM
gtfm
Cruiser

I'm 6' 200lb my frist bike was a1978sportster I had more fun on that bike than any other thatI owned, but Iwas 18 at the time. Do yourself a favor and get a Dyna. My 2005 FXD is more comfortable and has much more power than a sportster, you will get use to it in no time andput foward controls on.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:19 PM
paul_scooter
Cruiser

I'm 6'1" 180 lbs. I had a sportster and sold it to buy a softail. Big mistake, I should have kept my sportster and also buy the softail. My sportster handle so much better going thru the mountain twisties where i live. It looked great, ran great, got good gas mileage, handled better, accelerated betterand stopped much better. I don't think you'll be sorry with a sportster. You'll get used to peoplecomments " why dont you get a real bike". Just say try to catch me.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:47 PM
junkorgem
Advanced

Man, there are some big dudes riding sportsters. I am 5' 9" at 185... ok 195. The Sportster is a great bike, don't get me wrong, but it really isn't known for being comfortable. I have an 06 1200R with mid controls, fun to ride short distance but I don't like to ride it more than a couple of hours. I also have a softail standard with forward controls and what a difference. Riding stance dictates comfort, with additional seat padding as well. I bought the sporty on an impulse only to find I needed something more, more for comfort and 2-up riding. Buy what you like, just be sure that it isn't something that is not comfortable and it will suite your needs.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Dameon
Tourer

I', 6'1 about 240 and after about 2700 miles on my Nightster I still like my mid controls, but I did add highway pegs so I can change positions on llong rides, but it in no way feels small or cramped to me. I am very comfortable even with my girl on the back.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:07 PM
mrb302
Road Master

6'2" - 230... 1200C. Wouldn't trade it for any BT.
And yes, I've sat on them all and rode a few.

Quick Reply: Sportster for "large" guy??