Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster for "large" guy??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 05:32 AM
StevenBVT
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster for "large" guy??

Hi all... brand new to the forum and hoping to get some candid advice.

I used to ride a 500cc metric 15+ years ago and had to give it up for lack of $$. Now that I'm middle-aged and established, I want to get back into riding. Naturally, I'm looking at a Harley. Even though I've ridden before, I want to approach this as if I haven't, so I thought I'd go with a Sportster, since they appear to be easier to handle for a "novice".

Now the big question. I am not a small guy... 6 feet tall and run about 240 pounds. Is a Sportster going to be too small for me? I'm not looking for a bike to cruise long distance... mostly commuting to work. I've heard that the mid controls might make the riding stance be a little cramped for someone my size and that I probably should go with forward controls. Also, I'm leaning toward the Nightster, so anyone my size with a Nightster out there??

Thanks a bunch, and I hope to be riding the roads with you all soon!

Old 05-31-2008, 05:53 AM
rdss
Road Captain
Default RE: Sportster for "large" guy??

I am 5'10" and around 210 or so at my riding weight. The only thing I had to do on the Nightster was go up a notch on the rear springs (setting 3). I plan on installing Progressive 412's in black sooner than later also. I rode the bike all of about 40 miles before installing the forward controls and love them. My hips would cramp up after riding for about 5 minutes with the mid controls. I would recommend sitting on a bike with the forward controls at the dealer to see how it feels, just have them hold the front wheel so you can throw both feet up and if you like, pick up a set of black forward controls and a Nighster.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:57 AM
cooknhogz
Advanced

Bro, it be like a Mastiff fn a Chiwawa. Some things the generalpublic just isn't ment to see. If moneys not a major issue, go with a Dyna Fat Bob. Don't do it bro, pleese step away from the sportster and everything going to be allright. Nothing wrong with the Sportster at all just to small for you. Plus, I don't think you'll be too comfortable.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:01 AM
SHOAT
Road Master

I'm nottallso I can't help you there. Just wanted to say welcome from Georgia.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:39 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome aboard form No. Va. I'm 5'11' tall, 175lbs, no problems. People are all over the map on wgt. and hgt. issues regarding the Sportster. It all depends how you feel on the bike, many large people ride em' without any problem and are quite happy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48168/90504821AE4349B5BDC2C15440153BAC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-31-2008, 06:44 AM
Bryan53
Tourer

I am 6' 3" 235. I ride my sporty. I don't care if someone says it is too small for me. When my friend sits on it he looks enormous on it. Then when he sits on his bike, a Yamaha Star 1500cc or something like that, it is a big bike. He looks enormous on his bike. He is the same size as me. When you are big you just look big. I look big in my truck in a car or walking down the street. I wanted a sportster because it is raw and a classic design. Get what you want not what other people tell you you want. Get some forward controls and then some kind of highway bar or extended forwards so you can stretch out all the way.

I have a 1200 it is plenty of bike it is quick and if I punch it hard enough the bike can throw me off if I am not holding on tight enough.

Now this I wouldn't recommend. But I saw a guy about his size on an Electra Glide and thought he looked too big for the EG also.

Big people look big whereever you go.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:23 AM
Skygoose
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Bryan53

I am 6' 3" 235. I ride my sporty. I don't care if someone says it is too small for me. When my friend sits on it he looks enormous on it. Then when he sits on his bike, a Yamaha Star 1500cc or something like that, it is a big bike. He looks enormous on his bike. He is the same size as me. When you are big you just look big. I look big in my truck in a car or walking down the street. I wanted a sportster because it is raw and a classic design. Get what you want not what other people tell you you want. Get some forward controls and then some kind of highway bar or extended forwards so you can stretch out all the way.

I have a 1200 it is plenty of bike it is quick and if I punch it hard enough the bike can throw me off if I am not holding on tight enough.

Now this I wouldn't recommend. But I saw a guy about his size on an Electra Glide and thought he looked too big for the EG also.

Big people look big whereever you go.
+1. 6'2" and 235 lbs here. My 2005 1200C suits me just fine, thank you. Set my rear spring pre-load on position 3 and all is well. But if you're going to do much two up riding I'd go with something with a longer wheelbase for passenger comfort. Just my $.02. And forward controls are a good thing.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:44 AM
Nashville
Tourer

6' and 200lb.
The mid controls didn't work for me- way too cramped up to enjoy a very long ride.
Forward controls made a big difference.
Progressive 412 shocks help buffer the ride.
Follow that with a good seat and handlebars that suit you and that Sporty should feel comfortable.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:55 AM
rfranz1952
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am 6 feet, 240 lbs. I ride a 2005 1200 Custom w forward controls.

I use the bike primarily for commuting and around town, however, I have gone on a number of 200 mile plus rides (up to 450), and haven't had a problem. Mine does have an enhanced seat--Sundowner I think. I have heard that the stock seat can be a bit uncomfortable for longer rides.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:00 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Whatever floats your boat. You like the sportster get it. It's YOUR bike not anyone else's.

Quick Reply: Sportster for "large" guy??