Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do i put on the bra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:09 PM
jd140400
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i put on the bra?

just bought an 05 883 L trying to install the tank bra, it says no disassembly necessary, but it looks to me like you need to remove the rear tank mounting bolt, but even with it removed the elastic has too much slack in it to pull the bra forward and tight, oh and there were no installation instructions, after we got home we opened the box, apparently someone else had opened it and lost the instructions.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:11 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: how do i put on the bra?

At least you don't need to ask how to take OFF the bra!

Old 05-31-2008, 07:12 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

But seriously, I haven't heard too many good things about the tank bra's... they tend to scratch up the paint once any small amount of dust or dirt gets underneath.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:21 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Instructions for installing tank bra:
1-remove from box.
2-throw bra in garbage can.
3-throw box in recycling bin.
4-enjoy!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:15 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Here are the words. PM me with an email address and I'll send you a full versionincluding pictures that have circles and arrows. DO wax your tank prior to install. Do keep an eye out for clear-coat damage. DON'Tfeel badwhen you throw it out (or make a beer koozie out of it).
[align=left]INSTRUCTIONS[/align][align=left]-J02894 REV. 4-26-03[/align][align=left]2004 SPORTSTER XL, XL CUSTOM TANK BRA KIT[/align][align=left]General[/align][align=left]Number 62027-04 is designed for installation on 2004 and[/align][align=left]later Sportster® XL Custom models equipped with Original[/align][align=left]Equipment fuel tank.[/align][align=left]Number 62030-04 is designed for installation on 2004 and[/align][align=left]later Sportster® XL models with Original Equipment 3.3 gallon[/align][align=left]fuel tank.[/align][align=left]Kit Contents[/align][align=left]Qty Description Part Number[/align][align=left]1 Bra (XL Custom) 62027-04[/align][align=left]1 Bra (XL) 62030-04[/align][align=left]NOTE[/align][align=left]A Service Manual for your motorcycle is available at your[/align][align=left]Harley-Davidson Dealer.[/align][align=left]Installation[/align][align=left]To avoid scratching the fuel tank finish, first wash and[/align][align=left]wax tank. Before placing bra on tank, check to make[/align][align=left]sure that the bra liner is free from any foreign objects[/align][align=left]that may scratch the tank surface.[/align][align=left]NOTE[/align][align=left]When performing the following step, make sure the elastic[/align][align=left]strap does not pinch or restrict the fuel tank vent hose. If the[/align][align=left]fuel tank vent hose becomes pinched or restricted, the hose[/align][align=left]will not vent properly.[/align][align=left]1. See Figure 1. Beginning at the front of the tank, position[/align][align=left]the elastic strap over front edge of fuel tank against[/align][align=left]frame backbone making sure elastic strap does not[/align][align=left]pinch off fuel tank vent tube located underneath left side[/align][align=left]of tank. When properly positioned, strap will run down[/align][align=left]front of tank and along bottom toward rear of tank.[/align][align=left]Adjust, if necessary. Pull bra to the rear of tank and fit[/align][align=left]bra snugly around rear of tank.[/align][align=left]When performing the following step, route the elastic[/align][align=left]strap and steel “S’ hook between the main wiring harness[/align][align=left]and the frame backbone. If the strap is not routed[/align][align=left]between the main harness and frame backbone, the “S”[/align][align=left]hook could eventually cut into the main harness wiring[/align][align=left]causing electrical system failure which could result in[/align][align=left]death or serious injury.[/align][align=left]2. Position the rear elastic strap around the frame backbone[/align][align=left]making sure the strap and “S” hook, when fastened,[/align][align=left]pass between the main wiring harness and frame[/align][align=left]backbone.[/align][align=left]3. Smooth out any wrinkles in bra.[/align][align=left]NOTE[/align][align=left]If bra becomes soaked, it should be removed and allowed to[/align][align=left]air dry.[/align][align=left]1WARNING CAUTION[/align][align=left]®[/align][align=left]Kit Numbers 62027-04 and 62030-04[/align][align=left]1 of 1[/align][align=left]Figure 1. Tank Bra Installed[/align][align=left](XL Standard Shown)[/align][align=left]i01152[/align][align=left]Tank Bra[/align]

Old 05-31-2008, 09:17 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think they do it one arm at a time...dunno. Never paid much attention when the bra was being put ON.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:24 PM
primeaus883
Advanced

put the elastic around the front of the tank then pull the bra back over the rear of the tank and then pull the hook around the wiring harness and fasten. it really is not that hard once you do it once. just be sure to take it off everytime you wash the bike and make sure it has no dirt on the cloth side of the bra. I like mine so far. no complaints

Old 05-31-2008, 09:32 PM
jd140400
Cruiser

i knew i was asking for"it " when i posted, but hey who has more fun..... the hook was missing too, the rest makes logical sense, although not so sure about the dust underneath it ( scratching) . was worried about belt buckles, but sounds like we will trade that worry for worrying about dust and dirt under it doing the same thing, as always thanks for the input,,,,,

Old 05-31-2008, 09:34 PM
primeaus883
Advanced

no problem, you know how it is when men see the word "BRA" in something they get blurry eyed

Old 05-31-2008, 09:34 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with a couple of other postings.It will scratch your tank, has no real benefit and looks pretty lame. Burn the Bra!

Quick Reply: how do i put on the bra?