Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed a Yost kit with great results

Old 06-29-2008, 03:36 PM
imjbinkc
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed a Yost kit with great results

When I bought my 2002 1200 Custom in 2005, the previous owner had put V&amp\\;H Straight Shots on it.&nbsp\\; I never liked the look of the stock AC, so I changed it out to a Dragtron II.&nbsp\\; I was told the jets had probably already been adjusted for the pipes and since it wasn't a real hi-pro AC that I probably wouldn't have to rejet.&nbsp\\; It seem to run fine except for the occasional sputter here or there.&nbsp\\; But I was told that would be a "normal" condition considering my mods, so I've lived with it.&nbsp\\; Finally deciding that there had to be something I could do.&nbsp\\; I talked to the service manager at the dealer.&nbsp\\; He said the only way they would touch it is if I went with a Yost kit.&nbsp\\; But they were booked solid through the holiday and I could do a drop off, but I might be without my bike for a week (or more!).&nbsp\\; So I took matters into my own hands and decided to tackle the mod myself.&nbsp\\; I'm glad I did.&nbsp\\; With the help of this and other forums, I got right into my CV carb like I knew what I was doing.&nbsp\\; I found out the previous owner had done some freaky mods to the carb.&nbsp\\; I couldn't tell what the slow jet was, but the main jet was a 170 (stock).&nbsp\\; I put in a 45 slow jet and a 175 main jet.&nbsp\\; Then to tackle the top side.&nbsp\\; When I pulled out the slide and diaphram, it looked nothing like I was expecting.&nbsp\\; Instead of one needle hole and a vent hole, it had like 5 vent holes!...strange aftermarket thing I guess.&nbsp\\; I took it to the dealer and showed them and they had never seen anything like it.&nbsp\\; So another $45 bucks and I was back in business.&nbsp\\; I drilled both holes to 1/8" like suggested and put it all back together (I elected at this time to replace that plastic top with a nice chrome one, I figured do it now because I don't ever want to have to get back in there if I don't have to).&nbsp\\; Put it all back on the bike and walla!&nbsp\\; I set the idle speed and the mixture (about 2 1/2 turns out) and it runs like a champ.&nbsp\\; Threw in new plugs and took it for a test ride.&nbsp\\; No more stumbles or hesitation and nice throttle response all the way through.&nbsp\\; I got back home and pulled the plugs to read them and they were great (the old setup fouled plugs on a regular basis).&nbsp\\; So I'm very happy with this mod.&nbsp\\; I'm not sure it's right for everybody, but it sure resolved my situation.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:36 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Installed a Yost kit with great results

&nbsp\\;I've used a Yost kit twice, stupid me took twice to learn this one. Save your money, you can get the same results from buying 2 jets and a needle for the dealer, you also save a lot of cash.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;Sorry dude&nbsp\\;but&nbsp\\;your dealer ripped you off for way more than it should have cost, I wish I had all the money back I've spent on crap like a Yost kit or a&nbsp\\;Thunder slid or any of the dozen other snake oil things I've purchased over the years.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 06-30-2008, 08:43 PM
imjbinkc
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installed a Yost kit with great results

I understand what you are saying, but I don't necessarily agree that the Yost kit is "snake oil".&nbsp\\; I agree it's really over priced, you're really only getting probably $30-$40 bucks worth of parts in there.&nbsp\\; What you are paying for is the know how.&nbsp\\; Like I mentioned this kit may not be for everyone, but for a novice at tuning a carb, it worked great for me.&nbsp\\; Now my bike runs great and like I want it to.&nbsp\\; So to me it was worth the money.&nbsp\\; I would have probably spent way more money having someone else do it, and would have spent way more time trying it your way.&nbsp\\; I'd rather spend that time riding...