Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of Power/backfire/engine dies while riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:10 PM
rlh4466
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of Power/backfire/engine dies while riding

ARGGHHHH!&nbsp\\; Have 2006 1200L.&nbsp\\;Just bought it used with 341 miles on it!&nbsp\\; Ran fine on the 70 mile ride home, and a few days later on a 50 mile ride to friends house. On the return from friends house, starting losing power (as though not getting fuel), engine would&nbsp\\;cut out completely/then regain power/backfired many times/&nbsp\\;then died completely.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;It restarted after a few minutes and I was able to get home with it missing and backfiring badly. &nbsp\\;Upon getting home the only thing I could notice was a&nbsp\\;set of wires, red one attached to the positive post on the battery,&nbsp\\;could not discern where the other end of the black wire goes - disappears into the harness&nbsp\\;and I cant discern&nbsp\\;where even when removing the seat.&nbsp\\; The other ends of these wires are attached to a slip&nbsp\\;connector- the red wire goes into the female end and the black wire goes into the male end.&nbsp\\; I can see nothing within the length of these wires that this connector&nbsp\\;should or even could&nbsp\\;connect with.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;But it sure seems that&nbsp\\;the engine was suffering from lack of spark&nbsp\\;and badly mistimed spark.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;I dont have a truck - will have to have it hauled to&nbsp\\;a repair shop if I cant figure it out.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008, 06:43 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Loss of Power/backfire/engine dies while riding

Try cleaning &amp\\;\\\\\\; tightening up the battery cable connections. Don't just look at them and say they are tight, actually put a wrench on them.....Seems numerous people are having this problem.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:31 PM
jasidelinger
Stage III

Are you sure somebody didn't put something on your gas tank while you were at your friend's house?

Old 07-01-2008, 02:01 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

A 2006 with only 341 miles on it&nbsp\\;may have a lot of varnish in the fuel system and carb, try some carb cleaner or sea foam or take the carb apart and give it a good cleaning.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:09 PM
rlh4466
5th Gear

lets end this thread rite now.&nbsp\\; jeez do I feel stupid.&nbsp\\; called the local dealer - his first&nbsp\\; suggestion&nbsp\\;was it was outa gas.&nbsp\\; REALLY!&nbsp\\;???? first of all - i put 3.3 gal in and filled the 4 gal tank &nbsp\\;at 441 miles and this problem occurred at 571 miles!&nbsp\\; SEcond, I have run out of gas in a Mazda sports car, a suzuki motorcyle, a BMW motorcycle, and my Dad's 57 Chevy back in high school&nbsp\\;- and they all just died after one or two coughs or sputters. &nbsp\\;They didnt sputter and cough&nbsp\\;for over&nbsp\\; 10 frikkin miles!!!!!&nbsp\\;And they damn sure didnt backfire. &nbsp\\;And they didnt restart and idle for 3 mins after the engine cooled down before dying again!!!!!!!!!!!!!However, he must be right.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; went to the gas station, got a 3 gal can &nbsp\\;and put in&nbsp\\;- and&nbsp\\;has run ok for 30 miles. &nbsp\\; So much for 50 miles per gal they advertise. &nbsp\\;it was not even 35!&nbsp\\; Now I know.&nbsp\\; gas up every 120 miles. Even with a 4.3 gal tank.&nbsp\\; Apparantly the last gal wont feed smoothly and thats what causes the&nbsp\\;cut outs and coughing and&nbsp\\;I guess the backfire&nbsp\\;- so&nbsp\\;effectively its &nbsp\\;just a three gal tank.
&nbsp\\;
Oh, the wires that dont connect to anything.&nbsp\\; They are for charging or boosting the battery in cold weather.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
And the&nbsp\\; clatter the engine makes - just a sporty he says.&nbsp\\; Now I know why you guys like the screaming eagle pipes - so you cant&nbsp\\;hear that clatter.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for the suggestions anyway.&nbsp\\; Duh!&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Please - dont give me&nbsp\\; **** about this - I feel dumb enough as it is.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008, 07:25 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey your new to sportsters. Live and learn like we all have.

The following users liked this post:
MrMe24 (09-01-2022)
Old 07-02-2008, 07:31 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rlh4466
went to the gas station, got a 3 gal can &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;and put in&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;- and&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;has run ok for 30 miles.
I'm not trying to make you feel worse or anything, but next time just flip the petcock to reserve and ride the scoot to the station...

Old 08-17-2008, 05:30 AM
BaggerJoe
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem with my sportster. I got a Fat Bob tank on it and have to keep it topped off all the time! I bought a hi-flow petcock thinking that would help but it didn't. So, at the first sign of engine sputter, I pull into a gas station and top it off. I thought that happened to mine because of the aftermarket tank. I guess not.

The following users liked this post:
MrMe24 (09-01-2022)
Old 08-17-2008, 06:34 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rlh4466
went to the gas station, got a 3 gal can &nbsp\\;and put in&nbsp\\;- and&nbsp\\;has run ok for 30 miles. &nbsp\\; So much for 50 miles per gal they advertise. &nbsp\\;it was not even 35!&nbsp\\; Now I know.&nbsp\\; gas up every 120 miles. Even with a 4.3 gal tank.&nbsp\\; Apparantly the last gal wont feed smoothly and thats what causes the&nbsp\\;cut outs and coughing and&nbsp\\;I guess the backfire&nbsp\\;- so&nbsp\\;effectively its &nbsp\\;just a three gal tank.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
If you are not getting the last gallon of gas out of your tank, I would say you have a petcock problem... I just pulled my tank off my Sportster, pulled a vacuum on the petcock opened it to reserve and it drained the tank down to a drip...

Just so you might check it...

Charlie D.