Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How scared should I be

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 AM
lilfroger
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How scared should I be

I ride an 883 and have been stacking the miles pretty regular on it.&nbsp\\; But the hubbies 1200 hasn't gotten ridden much.&nbsp\\; He still has less than 200 miles on it in the 4 months we've owned them.&nbsp\\; He asked me to ride his for a few weeks to get some miles on it.

The bike still has the original oil in it.

He took it out on Sunday and it sputtered once and sounded like it was going to die when he was letting it warm up.&nbsp\\; He said he didn't have any problems on his ride though.

This morning I go to fire it up to head to work.&nbsp\\; I'm letting it warm up and the thing dies.&nbsp\\; There is a poof of smoke coming out of the air filter.&nbsp\\; The smoke smell of oil &amp\\; the oil smells of gas.&nbsp\\; I didn't take the time to pull the plugs before I headed to work.

What are the chances he screwed up his bike?&nbsp\\; What are the chances that it was just really cold and pissy?&nbsp\\; OH god will someone call my hubby and tell him this ~ I don't want to [&:]

Old 07-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Nonstop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How scared should I be

It'll be ok.&nbsp\\; Just get some mile on thing for him \\

Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

You don't say what the temperature outside was,&nbsp\\;how long you had it warming up, or how long you had the choke out and how far.&nbsp\\; So, I'm going to guess that the choke was further out than it needed to be, or running on choke too long.&nbsp\\; The symptoms you describe lead me to believe this.&nbsp\\; No damage in my opinion.&nbsp\\; In this weather (summer) the warm-up period is much less than cooler times of the year and personally, I take off and ride to warm up with the choke only partially out - and not for long.
&nbsp\\;
You should add where you live (at least the state)&nbsp\\;to your profile as it is helpful to know when seeking answers about problems you may be encountering.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:37 AM
lilfroger
Intermediate

It's an 08 so no choke.

It had been running for 3 to 4 min and it's in the 60's.&nbsp\\;

I'm hoping it is just from sitting and got some condensation built up.&nbsp\\; When he ran it on Sunday was the first time he has started it in well over a month.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 09:40 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

They puff like that some times. It's normal

Old 07-08-2008, 09:46 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to let the bike sit for long periods of time, you may want to consider adding some Stabil to the gas.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah, I would agree with your assessment if it hasn't been "exercised" in a month or so&nbsp\\;(that's a sin!).&nbsp\\; Try to put some miles on it every week - maybe take his to work twice a week, and yours 3 times.&nbsp\\; Nothin' worse for attracting gremlins than a bike that's not ridden much.
&nbsp\\;
Good luck!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

I'd just get on and ride the pi$$ out of it. Make sure you have fresh gas in it.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:52 AM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

mine did the same thing the other morning. I was also alittle worried. turns out i left the choke on for to long and to wide open. i agree with the above you need to ride the **** out of it. or just sell it for him

Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 AM
kdhd1200C
Advanced

Oil sits on the top of the engine.&nbsp\\; When a bike sits for awhile that oil is pulled down through the engine, and sometimes the breathers pick it up and blow it out through the intake, and thus throught the air filter.&nbsp\\; Make sure you take a look at your filter element and that it's not choked up with oil.&nbsp\\; Other than that just ride it like you stole it and you should be good to go.

Quick Reply: How scared should I be