Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines / Remap / Popping Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 06:15 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vance and Hines / Remap / Popping Question

I put on the shortshots (quiet baffles too), SE Stage 1 AC and remap done at the HD dealer a few weeks ago.&nbsp\\;When I first put them on, they had almost no decel popping. Lately, Ive been getting some decel popping, especially in 3rd. Not alot, but enough to notice. It doesn't really bother me, but what might be the problem, if anything? Is it maybe the heat? It's been really hot lately in Socal.&nbsp\\;The dealer said because of the nature of the pipes, everyone who puts these on always gets some popping. There's no way to eliminate all of it. What do you guys say? SHould I be worried? Again, its not alot of popping, but just curious about it. ANy insight would be appreciated.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Nasty Nightster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vance and Hines / Remap / Popping Question

Well maybe if you are down shifting and&nbsp\\;engine braking hardand holding&nbsp\\;high RPM's but I don'ty have any popping oat all&nbsp\\;with mine.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Crossbones
Road Master

you might still get some popping, even with the remaps, etc. it shouldn't be extreme, but nonetheless there.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Nightster_Reaper
Tourer

whenever you have a straight thro exhaust there is always chance for poppingit is nothing to worry about it just has to do with backpressure

Old 07-26-2008, 10:06 PM
HDRider69
Cruiser

I called Vance and Hines and asked about my popping and they told me I could play with a few settings they gave me but I would probably never eliminate it entirely because of the length of the pipes.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:07 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

I have the SERT on mine with the upgrades below my sig pic.&nbsp\\; No popping.&nbsp\\; Instant throttle response and a big sh*t eatin grin.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:06 PM
ironsporty
6th Gear

Its a Iron. You can thell by the rims.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Wojo83
Intermediate

Originally Posted by papadop88
I put on the shortshots (quiet baffles too), SE Stage 1 AC and remap done at the HD dealer a few weeks ago.&nbsp\\;When I first put them on, they had almost no decel popping. Lately, Ive been getting some decel popping, especially in 3rd. Not alot, but enough to notice. It doesn't really bother me, but what might be the problem, if anything? Is it maybe the heat? It's been really hot lately in Socal.&nbsp\\;The dealer said because of the nature of the pipes, everyone who puts these on always gets some popping. There's no way to eliminate all of it. What do you guys say? SHould I be worried? Again, its not alot of popping, but just curious about it. ANy insight would be appreciated.

i had the same problem. what brand is your commander? i got the dynojet pcIII. After installing it with the appropriate map i had even louder popping than i did b4 i put the SE a/c on. I know that those pipes are notorious for popping but this was bad. I went to their site and it suggested changing some of the values in the program and now there is no popping. Did they also dyno it for you at harley after installing all of that?

Old 07-20-2009, 07:11 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hey poppa, i got the same problem but only when the bike is cold, once it heats up the popping decreases significantly. i've heard the same thing though about not being able to get rid of it completely. as long as it's not damaging the motor i can live with it.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:10 PM
catlkn
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Old thread guys!

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines / Remap / Popping Question