Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VOES problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Lang
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VOES problems?

hi evryone, my 97 883 isn't running very well. it seems that the VOES isn't getting any electric from the box that it is plugged into. i don't know the name of the box but it seems like a brain box or something like that. can anyone tell me the correct name of the box that the VOES gets it's electricity from and how much it would cost to replace it. mt theory is if the VOES isn't getting any electricity maybe other stuff isn't as well and that's why it's not running right. thanks for any help....

chris

Old 08-09-2008, 09:31 PM
LoneRyder
Tourer

Did you test the VOES for continuity? Did you ohms or voltage test the connector right at the VOES to see if it was opening and closing properly?

Just some thoughts...Let me know and I will continue to try and help ya.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Lang
6th Gear

ok i actually replaced the vacuum with just the kind you have to turn the gas on and off. sorry i don't know the names of the parts yet. but i was told you can bypass the vacuum but just have to turn the gas off when you are not riding, so thats what i tried. but the way i tested it is i just checked it with a light tester. and it was not getting any juice from the box, which doesn't seem to be giving any juice at all to anything. by the way the box im talking about is on the left hand side right behind the battery. do you know what it is called? also just so you know, this is how it is running. it will start and run when i pull the choke out but even then it only sounds like it's running on one cylinder and then if i push the choke back in it will stall out. so like i said i don't think it's the voes seeing that i bypassed it but being that the box isn't giving out any electricity maybe it not feeding something else that needs juice. sorry, i know it's hard to understand what the hell i'm talking about when i don't know the names of the parts. thanks for anymore help.

chris

Old 08-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Lang
6th Gear
Default more help...

ok i actually replaced the vacuum with just the kind you have to turn the gas on and off. sorry i don't know the names of the parts yet. but i was told you can bypass the vacuum but just have to turn the gas off when you are not riding, so thats what i tried. but the way i tested it is i just checked it with a light tester. and it was not getting any juice from the box, which doesn't seem to be giving any juice at all to anything. by the way the box im talking about is on the left hand side right behind the battery. do you know what it is called? also just so you know, this is how it is running. it will start and run when i pull the choke out but even then it only sounds like it's running on one cylinder and then if i push the choke back in it will stall out. so like i said i don't think it's the voes seeing that i bypassed it but being that the box isn't giving out any electricity maybe it not feeding something else that needs juice. sorry, i know it's hard to understand what the hell i'm talking about when i don't know the names of the parts. thanks for anymore help.

chris