Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on XL 1200L sportster for first bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Florida
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on XL 1200L sportster for first bike

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, I wanted to get some expert opinions on the 1200L.

I am also new to motorcycling, I caught up with some of my old buddies recently and I rode one of their bikes and since I have really been considering getting one. I went to a harley dealer and looked at bikes and I really like the 1200L.

There are a couple of reasons I like it. First, the gas tank is more similar to a softtail. I think this style is much better looking than the taller, skinnier tanks that most sportsters have. Also, there is more chrome than the average sportster, the engine is chrome as opposed to the 883s I saw. 1200 is obviously plenty of power, more than I would need for a first bike. I am 5'11, around 195 lbs, so a smaller bike would probably be better for me. Also, there is no way I could afford a softtail even if I wanted one.

However, everywhere I look it seems that these bikes are for women. The HD official site has pictures of only women driving it, there is a thread in this forum about getting one for the wife, the only one I have seen for sale used says it is the guy's wife's bike.... is there something I am missing that makes the Low model a woman's bike? You guys speak well of the 1200c, and 1200r. Isn't the only difference the height of the suspension? Isn't the reason many people prefer the softtail over the sportster because of the lower suspension on a softtail?

Lastly, I know getting a brand new harley is a little overboard for a first bike. I looked into getting a used one, but these bikes apparently don't depreciate. I am not going to buy a 2 year old used bike with 10K miles on it if I can get a brand new one for only $500-1000 more. In many cases I have seen 5 year old sportsters used, and the dude is asking more than the MSRP on a new one. I looked into honda's and suzukis but honestly I think that if you are getting a harley-style bike it needs to be a harley. I have looked into other styles, I like the open frame style like the ducati monster or honda 919. But again, it seems like I can get what I really want for just a little more money, so why comprimise?

any input is appreciated. thanks.

Andrew

Old 03-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: opinions on XL 1200L sportster for first bike

Get what you want.

The best advice I've ever seen and heard was ride them 1st, then decide.

Have a great time pondering your next move.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:56 PM
scratch
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the Sportster is a chick bike. They're only available in pink anymore, and when you buy one you get a free box of Tampax and a coupon for a makeover.
[sm=GrowUp.gif]
Dude, if you're that insecure about your manhood I think you've got more problems than which bike to pick.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Florida
6th Gear

whatever bro. its an honest question from someone with no experience. if there is something about the suspension of a low model that can't handle the weight of a full grown man, then I want to know. if not, then why don't you just say "no, there isn't. its just a coincidence." rather than busting my *****? either that or just **** off

what is it about the ****ing internet that makes people so hostile? for some reason none of you angry people will talk **** to me like this when we are face to face.

I must be way off base too, seeing as since I posted that I found a fourth reference to the 1200L, and again it is the guy's wife's bike.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, don't let the ball busting get to you. The 1200L is a nice bike, and I almost bought one myself, but I found the SuperGlide which is about the same size and weight, but had the 1450 engine. It's not much more than the Sportster, but less chrome....you can add all the chrome you want in time. Which ever Harley you wind up with, you will be happy.

Enjoy the ride

Old 03-24-2006, 03:36 PM
McSporster
Advanced

While I can't comment specifically on the "L", I can tell you that having bought a new 1200 Custom last year was a good decision for me. As you indicated, it's more than enough power, they look great (...frankly, I think that the new "L" looks better than my "C";-) and I see folks of all kinds riding them. The Sportster is a bit "top heavy", but it's still a good one to start with and "learn" on. Like many others, I do highly recommend participation in a motorcycle riders safety course.

You can, indeed, find and buy a new "o miles" Sportster for what you'll see most used ones advertised for. If it looks good, "sits" good, and -- if you can get a test ride, rides good -- then, go for it. It's a great bike, handles like a great sports car (...hmmmm...SPORTSter??), and will out perform lots of what you'll see out there. Keep us posted.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:37 PM
DelcoDyna
Cruiser

Waoa, Florida. Chill Dude.

That's a pretty big flam from somebody who just made their third post. You will learn more by showing a little respect.

In scratch's defense, This kind of bulls**t goes on all the time. A sportster is a completely different bike than the 88's. It is quicker, nimbler and more top-heavy than it's bigger brothers. Comments like yours are generally made by buddies as an inside joke (please note, that at this point, you are on the outside) or the uninformed (which you appear to be) or by those who own 88's as garage ornaments. Scratch and others have heard all this before and I would bet is a little sick and tired of it. Do a search in the forum about "girl's bikes" and you will see what I mean. Better yet, read through the Sporty forum and see what owners have to say. Look at their bikes, their mods and think before opening your mouth.

A REAL rider doesn't give a rats a** what you ride as long as you ride it well. Frankly I don't own either a sloptail or a geezer-glide. Have you ever heard those terms before? We
may bust on other people's rides because we are family. You don't own one yet, which may explain why you just don't get it.

Did it ever occur to you that HD may be marketing to women because they see that there are more and more women riders every year? Did it occur to you that many women are intimidated by the weight of a big twin and opt for the lighter sporty's?

Yes, I know women who ride Sportys....and I know 10X as many guys who do. I also know women who ride Dynas, Softails, Tourning Bikes and even VRods.

I can speak from experience. I own a DYNA and a Sporty that I couldn't part with BECAUSE it is a different ride.

My advice? You can learn a whole lot more with your mouth shut. Ask questions, but be forewarned, if you ask inflamatory questions, you might just get inflamatory answers.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Shift_4lo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The L is a great bike and you have not heard much about them on here because they have only been out for maybe 4 months but they are great bike's and do not let the women thing get to you i would say 80% of this forum started out with a sporty as our first harley. The L is just a custum with a different tank emblem, mid controls, and lower suspenion so if you are really worried about the woman thing get the C and the R is a completly different bike. To go into depth about the sporty it is the hot rod of harley except after the v rod came out but a lot of harley guy's don't like the v rod so the sporty is still the hot rod of harley and the first thing you will notice about a sporty when you get on one is the torque the sporty is a fast sob but what i am trying to say no matter what sportster you get you will love it and keep us informed on what you purchase.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:07 PM
raym
Advanced

I'm new to the forum as well (see - Rubernecker) but not new to bikes or Harley's. Was Scratch just trying to be funny with a comment that is common to this forum? If so - no PROBLEM. If not, then he was out of line with the response and should have kept it to himself-----in my opinion. Opinions are welcome here I believe.

Anyway, Florida has a letigimate questions that many potential future Harley oweners deal with (me included several years ago). Florida, the 1200 sproty is a great bike and a blast to ride. It will handle your size fine (assuming you don't weigh over 300 lbs. at which point I would look at the load ratings). More women ride them because they weigh less and I suspect also because of the lower cost.

I'm looking for a deal on a used 1200 to do some customizing on myself and I'm 6'2" - 220 lbs. They are simply a blast to ride. If you are considering doing some serious long distance touring though, you might want to look to a bigger style. They are more comfortable for the long haul and easier to pack luggage. I did recently see a magazine artical where a guy had turned a 1200 into a bagger however.

Have fun with whatever you choose, and let's continue to enjoy this forum. It's the best place I've found for Harley advise, which is why you made your post - right?

Old 03-24-2006, 04:15 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Florida, welcome. What part of the Sunshine State are you from? Well, I'm on my 3rd bike, 2nd Sporty.

Yeah, the Sporty's a great first bike, it's also a great 3rd bike. The only other bike I'd ride would be a V-rod, I'm kind of a speed junkie, but don't like crotch rockets. I've heard the 'Girls bike' thing discussed on the internet, but no one's ever said it to me in person. The truth is, most non-bikers wouldn't know a Sportster from a Dyna, and as stated, true motorcycle enthusiasts have respect for anyone on 2 wheels. So, even if you are insecure with your manhood, the only people who will give you a hard time are others who are insecure.

Get the bike, don't compromise. I don't know anyone who's ever regretted buying one, but yeah, rent one first.

Quick Reply: opinions on XL 1200L sportster for first bike