Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster electrical issues...maybe

Old 11-04-2016, 10:33 AM
jackie18
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster electrical issues...maybe

Hey all! Happy to have found such a great site for Harley support. I bought my first harley about two months ago after years of riding and building out cafe style Japanese bikes. Pretty happy with my decision so far.

First two months and 3,000 miles on the bike were problem free until this past Wednesday. As I was out on a short cruise, the engine began bogging down after getting in third gear. I was close to needing to switch to reserve tank and after doing so t he engine completely died along with all lights/gauges. I was stranded. Bike was completely dead- turning the ignition switch brought no life or lights to the bike. I checked the gas, still could hear it swishing around in the tank. After ten minutes of sitting on the side of the road, I tried turning the key again and the bike lit up! All lights came on and worked properly. I tried to fire her up and there was a loud click and again the bike completely died. No lights again and the engine did not try to turn over at all. After looking the bike over I did not notice anything out of the ordinary. Eventually I tried to compression start it with no luck. Had to tow it home.

Threw the bike on a charger and the next day turned the key and all lights came on. Tried to start it, same thing...loud click and completely dead, no lights, no engine movement, and the lights would not come back on when turning the key again. As I said, I'm new to Harley's and regrettably did not get a shop manual yet, its in the mail now. Previous owner claims the battery is five years old and I planned on replacing it next season as I'm about to put the bike in storage here in Chicago. Bike was always on a charger when not ridden. Any suggestions/guidance are appreciated.

Bike is a 95 Sportster 1200 XLH with approximately 10,000 miles

Thank you!

-Jackie

Old 11-04-2016, 10:55 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Did you check your ground and main fuse?

Old 11-04-2016, 10:55 AM
rhythm1978
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Seems like a battery. I'd test it.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:04 AM
jackie18
Intermediate

Thanks guys! Have not had the chance to check anything at this time...will have to pick up some tools to test battery. I'll look at fuse/ground/battery tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:29 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Bad battery. At 5 years old it's way past it's prime.
Battery may show 12.7 volts but if you have a bad cell it won't show on most home tools. Have it load tested.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:32 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzi
Bad battery. At 5 years old it's way past it's prime.
Battery may show 12.7 volts but if you have a bad cell it won't show on most home tools. Have it load tested.
+1 on a bad battery as suspect, but given the fact that the bike started OK and then lost all power while cruising, makes me suspect the charging system may also be a problem. Be sure the charging system is functioning properly after replacing the battery.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:49 PM
MickCardoso
3rd Gear

Yep! I go with the charging system as well... And new batt

Old 11-04-2016, 02:30 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

Hello Jackie and welcome to the form , everyone before me is correct in 1 way or another as it is most likely the battery , but instead of wasting your money please do a check . Clean your battery terminals , Hook up a volt meter to your battery you should have 12+ volts , with the meter still hooked to the battery try to start the engine -- if the volt meter drops to 0 it's the battery . What is common in bike battery is while charging a scale formed between the plates fall to the bottom of the battery , put your bike on the kick stand and the scale falls to the left stand the bike upright and it levels out , this happens enough times over many years and builds up to the plates to short out the battery . the scale is sloshing from side to side and shorting out the battery momentarily and the back working again . This is just 1 of the things that it might be as others before me are also correct . A 5yr old battery is rare .

Old 11-04-2016, 03:45 PM
jackie18
Intermediate

Thank you all! Picking up a voltmeter today and have a Harley battery waiting at the dealership Saturday.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:58 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by jackie18
Thank you all! Picking up a voltmeter today and have a Harley battery waiting at the dealership Saturday.
Be sure to get a digital voltmeter, as 1/10ths of a volt matter.
A fully charged battery should measure ~12.7 vdc. A battery that measures 12.0 volts is only ~25% charged.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportster electrical issues...maybe