Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster w/ Road King shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:28 AM
Fingernip
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by colonelangus1
yup it will work fine get electra glide shocks 12" and 1" lowering blocks and you will siy at stock ride height.i recommend tamarack i have them on mine and you cant really notice..
heres a link to their site and to thier ebay store which is cheaper usually , and a some pics of them on my bike and valve gators.
http://www.tamarackmw.com/tamarack_058.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-LOW...Q5fAccessories
On the tamarack website they list ratings as "Max GRV weight rating on "R" models.
Max weight of 220#'s on "C"(custom) or"L"(Low) models with proper spring settings.
Max weight of 130#'s on "N"(nightster) with proper spring settings."

Old 05-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Easty
Novice
Default Shock spacers from HD

Originally Posted by johnnyo883
easty, please post the part number for the spacers. i'm looking into this for my 07 883low. How many spacers did you need for top and bottom? This looks like the way to go for more comfort.
Johnny and all others concerned:

I used part # 6219- (this is usually used on Dynas) which you can grab at any HD parts counter- I used four of them and the only change I had to make to the setup/install was on the lower mount near the belt guard, the nut has to be flipped backwards in order to grab more threads on the bolt.

Been on this setup for a few days now and I check the bolt every 2 days to make sure that it isn't trying to loosen up.

Hope his helps, now I have to dial in the front (a.k.a. change to progressive springs and superbrace) plus I ordered the lowering kit from atv engineering to bring the rear back down closer to stock.

Ride safe

Old 05-07-2010, 01:39 PM
colonelangus1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fingernip
On the tamarack website they list ratings as "Max GRV weight rating on "R" models.
Max weight of 220#'s on "C"(custom) or"L"(Low) models with proper spring settings.
Max weight of 130#'s on "N"(nightster) with proper spring settings."
well that 130lbs rating is assuming you will have stock shocks which will compress and bottom out NOT break the lowering blocks.so if you run RK shocks and add air there will be NO bottoming out and therefor the 130lbs rating is moot.or if you ran the longer custom shocks .i ride 2 up with a total of over 300lbs with no issues..by the way check out the bike at the bottom right corner of the tamarack machine works web site..the black sporty is a buddies from another site sweet ride

Last edited by colonelangus1; 05-07-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:17 AM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

yup it will work fine get electra glide shocks 12" and 1" lowering blocks and you will siy at stock ride height.i recommend tamarack i have them on mine and you cant really notice..
heres a link to their site and to thier ebay store which is cheaper usually , and a some pics of them on my bike and valve gators.
http://www.tamarackmw.com/tamarack_058.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-LOW...Q5fAccessories
pics of lowering blocks ..i used the upper covers from the nightster shocks on the lower bolts to black it out more as the RK shocks are chrome at the bottom .

heres what i did to get rid of those valves that stick out like a sore thumb.gator looks big but from 4 feet away you cant even notice it. i was going to steal the brake gators off the wifes bike but she caught me.so i used dust boots from an axial rc engine

and from 4 feet or so can you see them..works for me
Colonel,
I have been looking for those rubber boots and have had absolutely no luck. Even went to the only RC shop around here and they looked at me like I was crazy. Told me they could get me some Traxxas or HPI boots that were similar (blue in color) but they don't deal with Axial so they won't even order them. Can you please give me the actual part#, if you have it so I can order some from them. Want to cover my valves also plus having another rubber gator on there just looks trick. Thanks

Old 05-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Fingernip
Cruiser

well that 130lbs rating is assuming you will have stock shocks which will compress and bottom out NOT break the lowering blocks.so if you run RK shocks and add air there will be NO bottoming out and therefor the 130lbs rating is moot.or if you ran the longer custom shocks .i ride 2 up with a total of over 300lbs with no issues..by the way check out the bike at the bottom right corner of the tamarack machine works web site..the black sporty is a buddies from another site sweet ride
130# is half of the rating of the stock shocks. It just means that it only takes 130# to max out the stock shock(normal riding conditions) at the new shock angle with the lowering kit. Meaning that the forces felt by the shock itself and the mount points at the new angle are doubled for the same rider weight. A heavier shock will keep from bottoming out.. but will still exert the same multiplied force on the mount points and frame/swingarm.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:46 AM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does anybody know how to powder coat air shocks? or if it is possible?

Old 05-13-2010, 05:29 AM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by midnight2005
does anybody know how to powder coat air shocks? or if it is possible?
As far as I know it can't be done since you have to bake the powdercoat to cure it.
The air shocks would have to be disassembled to powdercoat since the seals and bladder can't take the the heat, but they are not rebuildable so you can't take them apart to do it.
The ones I put on my Iron were actually chrome, I just sanded them, primed & painted with BBQ Hi-Temp paint.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:31 AM
midnight2005
Banned

Originally Posted by bolillo57
As far as I know it can't be done since you have to bake the powdercoat to cure it.
The air shocks would have to be disassembled to powdercoat since the seals and bladder can't take the the heat, but they are not rebuildable so you can't take them apart to do it.
The ones I put on my Iron were actually chrome, I just sanded them, primed & painted with BBQ Hi-Temp paint.

ok, I do plan to figure out how to powdercoat ( only need to do the top half) them but untill then I will sand blast them and rattlecan them.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:52 PM
el campito
Cruiser
Default Rk shocks

JUST INTALED THE SHOCKS

WHAT A DIFERENCE

TKS TO ALL

midnight2005 TKS FOR THE VALVS

Old 06-07-2010, 07:56 PM
midnight2005
Banned

Yo, you are welcome. I plan to look you up when I come to Mexico, we can do some riding.

Quick Reply: Nightster w/ Road King shocks